Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,648 Posts
It is cold here in WV, and it is getting dark early, but it was pretty today so I loaded up my Cessna and headed to the flying field. This plane never lets me down.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
It is cold here in WV, and it is getting dark early, but it was pretty today so I loaded up my Cessna and headed to the flying field. This plane never lets me down.

Jim

Looking good Jim. At least you have a better chance of the weather being decent enough to fly.
I'm doing a few repairs to my Cessna 182 & hope to get a day or two between the holidays for some air time.

Bill B.
wjb111 is online now Find More Posts by wjb111
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
I'll be taking mine out in the morning with some upgrades. 2 1/2 inch dubro low bounce wheels. For anyone who wants to know, I've flown with the gopro in the cockpit and the cg was not affected.
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
johnd
1 Stoplight town East of Lansing, MI
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
Cool... I'm hoping for a GoPro for Christmas :-)
jondon69 is offline Find More Posts by jondon69
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,648 Posts
It was overcast today, but not real cold and no wind to speak of. So I got in three flights with my Cessna today.

Jim
FMS Cessna (8 min 13 sec)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Nice Jim. What camera are you using?

This plane has become my favorite. I'm tempted to buy another to just keep just incase lol. It handles very well and lands like a feather. I take this out everytime I fly and sometimes I dont even fly my warbirds
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMention View Post
Nice Jim. What camera are you using?

This plane has become my favorite. I'm tempted to buy another to just keep just incase lol. It handles very well and lands like a feather. I take this out everytime I fly and sometimes I dont even fly my warbirds
Thanks. I agree, these are sweet flying planes, I have considered gettin another one. But I'm also looking at the NP Aerosky 185. I'd like to find a review other than the NP video, I think it looks like a neat mate to the FMS 182.

the camera is one of the 808 key fob cams. I think it is the #16 version. For what they cost, they are neat little video cams.

Jim
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
just ordered these for mine, getting ready for some winter fun here in WV.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSDV&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSDW&P=7

They seem good and sturdy, likely better than what I could make my self.

Jim
Rc-castle.com sells floats designed for this plane
http://rc-castle.com/shop/index.php?cPath=136

And lots of spare parts incl prop and prop shafts - ask me how I know
http://rc-castle.com/shop/index.php?cPath=154_153_169

Slow boat from china though
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bhoov128; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Add another link
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, FL, Floral City
Joined Dec 2012
62 Posts
I ordered one of the FMS 55" 182's from BH yesterday and have modified the Cessna in Phoenix to 55" and electric. Can anyone who's done it in Phoenix comment on how the flight characteristics compare to the real model?
GrandpaInFlorida is offline Find More Posts by GrandpaInFlorida
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I did the same thing with Phoenix... in my experience every Cessna 182 model exhibits pretty much the same flying characteristics. So, the short answer is yes

BUT, it is sooo docile and easy to fly I recommend mixing in some other models that require more precision on the sticks to improve your overall flying skills. Start with mixing in the Stinson and then the T28 Trojan... once you are proficient with those models you should be able to fly any airplane on the SIM with confidence.

Also make sure you create copies of the default models and change the difficulty to 100% advanced. That makes them fly as close to real life as possible with the SIM.
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, FL, Floral City
Joined Dec 2012
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
I did the same thing with Phoenix... in my experience every Cessna 182 model exhibits pretty much the same flying characteristics. So, the short answer is yes
Thanks, I've flown a few different planes but I think the last one was about 30 years ago. Now that I'm retired I have a lot more time to play. I don't have any trouble in Phoenix with the Cessna,T-28, Stinson, or the Corsair unless I put in a 5+ mph cross wind. Most of the other high wing trainer types are too slow and easy but I'm pretty good at breaking 4 props at once with the B-17. Some of my landings with the warbirds look like a cowboy walking after a 100 mile ride. Looking at the videos of people flying it appears like the Cessna in Phoenix was a little underpowered so I changed the thrust/weight ratio to 1.1 from .9. I'll change the rating to Advanced which I assume is what you meant by 100%.
GrandpaInFlorida is offline Find More Posts by GrandpaInFlorida
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
302 Posts
She is ready to hit the sky again. Had a few repairs and thanks to donaldlo
I have a windshield again. Just need some half mild weather and a little less
Wind. Gusts to 47 mph today.
Last edited by wjb111; Dec 21, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
Its a Alive... Its a Alive...

Ha! Mine two. I spent the better part of the day finally fixing my broken SkyTrainer which hasn't been touched for 7 months! After its last crash I was ready to move on, but i decided to finally fix it for my Son. He is off from school for winter break starting next week and I am hoping to kick his addiction into high gear. It is the old 4CH version. I am not going to post pics of it or you will think the apocalypse is indeed here. It literally looks as if someone chewed it and spit it back out. A Franken-Cessna will be an understatement. It has more epoxy and GG than foam at this point. There is not part (and I mean no part) which hasn't been moded or needed some repair. That thing is ugly! Not even a cowl. But, i know better than to beatify it before its re-maiden. No point in sanding, spackling and painting if it flies like crap. If my Son gets his first 20 or so flights out of it, I will finally retire it for good, (and perhaps treat my son and myself for a new 6CH one). I will bring it to the Field on Sat and report how it goes. It is going to be hilarious for sure.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Ha! Mine two. I spent the better part of the day finally fixing my broken SkyTrainer which hasn't been touched for 7 months! After its last crash I was ready to move on, but i decided to finally fix it for my Son. He is off from school for winter break starting next week and I am hoping to kick his addiction into high gear. It is the old 4CH version. I am not going to post pics of it or you will think the apocalypse is indeed here. It literally looks as if someone chewed it and spit it back out. A Franken-Cessna will be an understatement. It has more epoxy and GG than foam at this point. There is not part (and I mean no part) which hasn't been moded or needed some repair. That thing is ugly! Not even a cowl. But, i know better than to beatify it before its re-maiden. No point in sanding, spackling and painting if it flies like crap. If my Son gets his first 20 or so flights out of it, I will finally retire it for good, (and perhaps treat my son and myself for a new 6CH one). I will bring it to the Field on Sat and report how it goes. It is going to be hilarious for sure.
Mad Max Cessna 182
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post

arnav

Glad to hear you resurrected your Cessna. They so seem to take a lickin & keep on tickin after some welders etc. It can't look any worse than Stupid Monkeys Cessna. Look back a few months on this thread. He must have had 2 lbs of bondo in that plane & it looked like it.. LOL

If the weather doesn't get any better here in Michigan, I will come down to Florida so we can do some flying.....

Happy Holidays !!!