HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
I do not need the flaps on this plane at all. I agree, that in that wind, they deff are not needed. Sorry, I didn't really make clear what I meant. What I meant to say was that, in general, I have not been able to get the hang of using the flaps on thi:s aircraft. I don't have any problems landing without them but have been playing with them anyway. I have not programmed any mix into my controller. I have tried them and she balloons big time. It seems like I need to apply far to much down elevator to counteract this. Any suggestions? Am I deploying at to high of a speed?
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
169 Posts
I have this airplane as well and have been told to put down elevator mix with the flaps. I have tried 10% and that was not enough as it still wanted to pitch up too much. The mix will depend upon the degree of flap deflection you have set up
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
yep, you def want to mix in down elevator.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
I do not need the flaps on this plane at all. I agree, that in that wind, they deff are not needed. Sorry, I didn't really make clear what I meant. What I meant to say was that, in general, I have not been able to get the hang of using the flaps on thi:s aircraft. I don't have any problems landing without them but have been playing with them anyway. I have not programmed any mix into my controller. I have tried them and she balloons big time. It seems like I need to apply far to much down elevator to counteract this. Any suggestions? Am I deploying at to high of a speed?
when are you deploying flaps? i find that if i deploy them above 1/2 thr. it tends to balloon .anything below 1/2 thr it is smooth as silk. i have 13% down elev. mixed at full flap and 8% down elev at 1/2 flap. this is my set up, you will have to experiment on your bird to find out where yours is happiest. you are right you don't need flaps on this plane but it is just something else to add to your overall flyn experience. i stil have lots of fun with this plane
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
johnd
1 Stoplight town East of Lansing, MI
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
I'm flying the RTF version, no mixing... I throttle back at the same time I put down the flaps. Yes, keeping the throttle up, it definitely balloons as it slows... but it definitely slows too. I forgot to deploy the flaps on a recent landing, and had way too long a roll out... into a curb!
jondon69 is offline Find More Posts by jondon69
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
Its not worth crashing or damaging this plane becuase of the flaps (if you are a beginner). it is not required (fun to play with and use, but not required). If you are a beginner don't fixate on the flaps. It is not your savior. You will be ok... Learn to land without them. There were other instances in this thread were people damaged their planes becuase they forgot it, didn't account for ballooning, got distracted putting them on/off, etc'.
First read this. Then learn to land properly, then treat yourself for flap use. Its not like every single one of your next planes will have flaps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
scooch if you are 100% comfortable with landing with out flaps then it sounds like you are ready to keep tryn to get the "hang" of using flaps. if you are not 100% on landing with out them then i recommend keep practicing with out them.keep in mind that flaps do slow the plane down and your landings will require more finess on the elev. and more finess on the throttle as soon as you get close to the ground to compensate for the slower speed. this is a maneuver just like any other and it does take practice, just like the post that arnav recommend you read says. so because of that fact it will require that you are ready to practice landing with flaps as a new maneuver that you want to learn. unfortunately tryn to physically teach someone how to land or fly on a r/c thread is all but impossible just take whatever advise you think is good for you and do what you want with it. have fun.
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:08 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
169 Posts
I discovered today on my setup that 20% down elevator with my 15mm flap deflection did the trick. The airplane stayed level and helped make a slower approach and landing
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:25 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
R.I.P.

After my engine cut-out at about 12-ft but my 182 nosed-in hard, I've decided that my poor ol' Airfield Cessna Sky Trainer 182 is going to be put out to pasture.

This is the 3rd time I had a cut-off. The lipo was fine, the motor seems good, and it has an AR6200 with sat, so I think it's the 50A ESC....

Nonetheless, the fuse has been glued so many times that the plane weighs and extra several ounces. The firewall has been glued together 4 times, the wing has stress cracks and its 3rd cowl was just crushed.

I'm removing all the electronics and will - in time - get a new body kit and rebuild it as new.

Just to make me miserable, a guy showed-up at my field yesterday with a brand new blue Airfield/FMS 182. It flew so beautifully!

Gotta have another one.....

Keep 'em flying, brothers! I'll be back.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:30 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Where can you find a new blue Airfield 182? Nitroplanes doesn't seem to carry them anymore.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:00 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
Sorry to hear Maladroit. She had a good life... I remember some of her adventures from earlier in the thread...

It is kind of odd that it only cut down close to the ground. If it is the ESC would it not more likely to happen when you are up there, perhaps at WOT, etc'?

Eagle, BH has them...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,143 Posts
make sure the servo's are all free moving. these companies build these planes for us on the cheap. if you have a servo that seems to be harder to move by hand than any of the others, you might have a serov then producing an overcurrent scenario, therefore, overheating the BEC. that would cause your brownout/blackout situations as been happening to me with my Dynam plane.....I found an aileron servo that is really hard to move vs. the opposite side. and of course, a 9 gram servo operating a plane with huge control surfaces is not good either....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
That's very true. I remember seeing on RCG somewhere that the stall current of an HKT900 for example, which I assume is the equivalent or more of what they sell the planes with is 900mAh. If you think about it, that quite high in the context of a 3A internal BEC.

Regardless of what it looks like, if you can still make it fly, maybe its worth doing it just to try and discover where the problem is. Its not worth moving the electronics to a new one, only to have the same thing happen...
I think it will definitely be worth doing if in fact you don't find a servo that is not free moving and the cause is still allusive.

The other things that I can think of:
- Loss of signal due to ground affect impact on 2.4. Did you check for holds after the crash?
- Bad solder connection on the motor wires. That seems to be pretty common.
- With 6 servos, maybe its worth adding a BEC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,622 Posts
Anybody know where I can pick up a stock prop adapter/shaft? Everywhere seems to be out of stock. Thanks.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,705 Posts
That is the only problem with that Motor. it is well matched for the frame but getting spare parts is a nightmare. For what you can get a new brushless motor for, it is not worth the hassle. or you can convert it to a collet style adapter by replacing the shaft.
RCG Plus Member