Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:08 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
I was happy until this post!!!

Take it back!!!
I've never seen that happen outside of a crash. we have 6 of these cessnas at our field with hundreds if not a thousand flights between them all. This is a well put together plane that flies nice and only needs a few critical mods.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Does it have a retractable gear? If so, i think in many cases it is becuase the retracts extend to 90 deg and not beyond whereas you really want them to be slightly angled forward to avoid a nose over. I have seen mods where people change the angle of the FMS retracts a little to achieve that forward angle (which dramatically helps eliminating nose overs). Granted the gear would not fully hide in the wing but it is better than a nose over..
I've got retracts on mine. the plane is fine if I land without flaps deployed. but it's okay. I did some research and found that the real plane was the same way. pilots landed with up elevator to overcome the nose over with flaps which is what I do anyway.......
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,799 Posts
true as well. It helps to pin down the tail...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:21 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
I've never seen that happen outside of a crash. we have 6 of these cessnas at our field with hundreds if not a thousand flights between them all. This is a well put together plane that flies nice and only needs a few critical mods.
Thanks again for that reassurance, Sir.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:29 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
FMS Cessna 182 Setup 08-04-2012 (6 min 3 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:30 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,824 Posts
The security of those little nubs depends a LOT on variations in manufacture. My first 182 was very secure at that point, before it went into a soybean field upside-down, and the wing popped out. When I got the replacement, one popped out a bit when I lifted it by the wing to test the balance. I determined that the fuse construction was slightly off, causing less than full engagement, so I lengthened them with some specially-prepared screws. I may have gotten the only one like that, but it's something to check, just like all the factory glue joints.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:44 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Nope, no issues with the Wing Attachment, it is very secure and under pressure.

Yes, you were flying an earlier version and it seems they have been busy modifying this or that as new batches have been made.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:03 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
My wing attachments are fine - as long as you get the screw into the right hole! The plastic screw guides on the wings and fuselage on my Skylane have come off recently and it was a pain trying to accurately screw down the left-wing screw until one day I decided to glue the guides back in place.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:52 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Maiden Flight Summary!!

Guys,

Perhaps my initial recommendation of this Cessna 182 not being considered as a Trainer was too harsh on my part. What I experienced was a super docile RC Airplane Model and playing with the flaps did not get me into trouble.

I was super amazed on the Super SLOW flying abilities that this model exhibited. There was at least 5 MPH winds by the time I finally commanded the model up for my very first Maiden flight and it handled the wind very well and super stable.

Landings are just majestic on smooth hard surface such as this High School Band Practice "Concrete" surface! I like the Flaps as it allows for slower touch downs.

I did not have any issues!!!

The model flew beyond my expectations!!!

FMS BlitzRC Cessna Model 55 Inch Wing Span 08-05-2012 (4 min 6 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:36 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
2nd Flight Summary!

Guys!

I flew it for a second time (No Video) and this time I reduced the Flap travel (Using the Travel Adjust Programming on my Spektrum DX7 menu) and the model flew even better.

This model does not need that much flap travel to slow it down.

I was able to test the reaction of the model in super DEAD Calm conditions, much better than during the initial Maiden Flight as the wind completely died down for the 2nd flight.

Right on approach, I killed all Throttle and allowed the model to glide towards the Smooth Hard Surface and right over the Grass, I applied the Flaps and the model still pitched upwards "slightly" and I just commanded some Down Elevator and it came in for a very smooth landing.

Yes, a little mix of Flaps + DOWN Elevator is recommended but, I like the manual method.

Up Close Pics! (Post Flight)

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Aug 05, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:40 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Battery Type and Capacity?

What are you guys using as far as Battery????

I am using the 3-Cell, Turnigy 2200mAH, 25C Discharge, Li-POLYs!

Anyone else?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:29 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I use 2200 35C 3S nano techs and more recently switched to 2650 3s sky lipos.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:59 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,898 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps my initial recommendation of this Cessna 182 not being considered as a Trainer was too harsh on my part. What I experienced was a super docile RC Airplane Model and playing with the flaps did not get me into trouble.

What are you guys using as far as Battery????
The last two guys I trained had this plane and it is an excellent trainer. ...with a buddy box. A very docile and slow flying plane.
I found the flaps to be a novelty. With the wing loading this little plane has it would only get my guys into trouble.

I've flown it in some serious wind and it handles it like a much heavy plane.

One of the guys was flying with a 3000mAh pack getting an easy 8 min flight and the other was stuffing a 4000mAh in there getting over 10 min in the air.

Converting one of them to a taildragger was one of the best mods we did on it. The nose gear will fail.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:02 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,773 Posts
Good to see your appreciation of this model increased after the maiden. It didn't seem like you were very happy with it at first

It's a very nice flyer and a great looker. The real plane has only about 1 degree of dihedral as do most scale models, but they are very stable flyers - mostly I think due to the high wing design.

It's easy to mix a little down elevator with the flaps to get a very neutral descent on final with the flaps deployed. Landings can look very convincing if you have a hard surface of adequate length. With a very little power you can hold it in ground effect just off the runway while easing it onto the mains before letting the nosewheel down. It looks exactly like I was taught to do it with the real plane.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:09 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,773 Posts
[QUOTE
Converting one of them to a taildragger was one of the best mods we did on it. The nose gear will fail.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more with these statements:

This is a scale model - "converting" it into a tail dragger destroys its scale looks. If you want a tail dragger there are plenty of them available.

The nose gear will fail only if you are not skillful enough to fly the plane properly.

In spite of its name, there are much better planes to use as trainers.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc