HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,965 Posts
Anyone switching to a balsa model may want to try the Ultra Stick. I picked up an estate sale with a bunch of Balsa built aircraft. I converted the Ultra to electric in a couple of hours. Cut the gas tank bay top off and used for battery compartment. ESC on bottom nose outside for cooling. Dropped a 700KV motor in with a 12x8 prop. Needs a bigger prop. Set up Crow so that I can drop vertical into a landing from a hundred feet or so. Having a blast with this sucker.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
b.b.4. check your p.m.'s
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
West Michigan
Joined Feb 2010
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b.4 View Post
Wolfe, Ace, Crucial and others,
On my 1st solo, I over controlled and shut it down , so I would not crash TOO badly. Prop shaft, cowl, bent rt. wing. All repaired now, but I don't want to repeat my mistakes. Mine is the AIRFIELD 182, all stock w/ a dx6i and ar6115e.
My question, WHAT trainer should I get to learn flying w/ ailerons.......
I fly the HZ CUB w/ no problem, and on my SIM flying the NEXSTAR, I have no problems w/ take offs or landings.
Any suggestion will be very much appreciated..................
b.b.4
I started with the HZ Super Cub and ended up putting ailerons on it. It flys pretty well, but I didn't flatten the wing, so I have to use a lot of rudder mix, which makes rolls a little wonky. If i had to pick a good aileron trainer, I would pick the AXN Floater from hobbyking (USA warehouse). I watch Bruce Simpson's YouTube videos a lot (Xjet and RCModelreviews), so I was convinced to buy the AXN Floater and I'm glad I did. It can fly and glide really slow and stable, but once the throws are turned up, it can really fly quite fast and sporty. The motor is on top of the fuse so little risk of breaking a prop, and it belly lands so no risk of bent/broken landing gear.
h2oman is offline Find More Posts by h2oman
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:21 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
H20,

You might just want to dial down the throws on low rates to about 50% with about 30% expo - that should tame her down quite a bit.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:30 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Arnav,

I would go to the bigger Edge from 3DHS

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-Edge-5...e_p_15879.html

Should fly well set up just like the Mosa 2 and use the same batteries. It will be smoother than the smaller one

Wolfe
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:31 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
I started with the HZ Super Cub and ended up putting ailerons on it. It flys pretty well, but I didn't flatten the wing, so I have to use a lot of rudder mix, which makes rolls a little wonky. If i had to pick a good aileron trainer, I would pick the AXN Floater from hobbyking (USA warehouse). I watch Bruce Simpson's YouTube videos a lot (Xjet and RCModelreviews), so I was convinced to buy the AXN Floater and I'm glad I did. It can fly and glide really slow and stable, but once the throws are turned up, it can really fly quite fast and sporty. The motor is on top of the fuse so little risk of breaking a prop, and it belly lands so no risk of bent/broken landing gear.
The AXN sounds a lot like the Wild Hawk.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:06 PM
West Michigan
Joined Feb 2010
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
H20,

You might just want to dial down the throws on low rates to about 50% with about 30% expo - that should tame her down quite a bit.

Wolfe
I like it fast and sporty (been flying it for a while). I was just trying to recommend a good aileron trainer for b.b.4... I fly my big FMS/Airfield P-51 or Skytrainer for my tame Sunday afternoon flying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
The AXN sounds a lot like the Wild Hawk.
The AXN is similar to the Wild Hawk, Hawk Sky, Bixler, Easy Star, and other powered glider types. Other than the AXN, the only other powered glider type I've flown is the Dynam Hawk Sky, and I think the AXN flys slightly better (just my opinion of course). The plastic motor mount/housing on the Hawk Sky can develop some weird resonance sounds at different throttle ranges...

Cheers!
h2oman is offline Find More Posts by h2oman
Last edited by h2oman; Jun 02, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:24 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
ahhhh - my bad H2o

Wolfe
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:41 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
Wolfe, oh wow, I like the bigger version but now I am confused. Isn't the 47" Extra 300 SHP the other quintessential 3DHS first balsa airplane? Maybe Edge vs. Extra doesn't make much difference. Not sure.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
The Extra is a little more precise but not as tumblely. The Edge is easier to stall and has a very stable stall envelop. The Slick sits nicely in the middle with an excellent mix of the 2. Draws nice lines but still able to do the majority of the Edge's repertoire with about similar ease.

This is not to say that the Extra will not 3d like an Edge, you just need to be more conscious of your stick inputs to have the same results. Just like the Edge needs more attention when you want to do a nice hammerhead or an even M with 1/4 up 1/4 down.
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Upgraded the prop to a 12x8, added a 40A ESC, and used a Dubro 1-1/2" spinner to put it all together.. Now I'm not afraid to go WOT!! Here is a quick vid...

Flyin 6_3_12 (7 min 30 sec)
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:05 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Oct 2001
228 Posts
Prop Strike

Hello,

This past weekend I had a prop strike while landing . I had a strong and gusty cross wind (close to 90 degrees). During the flare, I lost control and the nose dived into the runway. The prop was still spinning and one blade got bend and the other two just lost some top layer material (I have the stock 3-bladed propeller). Is there any way I can bend back the blade?

Thank you in advance for your help,

CrazyBear
crazybear is offline Find More Posts by crazybear
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:14 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
You can bend and trim the tip a little. Just make sure you balance it afterwards. They should all be the same length too.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
my Cessna is back on dry ground...the lake I fly off is rather overgrown with seaweed and makes getting on and off the water from shore tricky....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:46 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
You can bend and trim the tip a little. Just make sure you balance it afterwards. They should all be the same length too.
I agree, just sand all the blades down so they are smooth and equal length and balance it for sure... It happened to me once and I just sanded all of them down so they were all the same and balanced it and didn't have any problems for many flights. I have recently upgraded to a 2 bladed 12x8 prop, if your ESC can handle the amp draw I highly recommend it.

---Chuck
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49