SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
are the main wings easy to take off for transport?
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:50 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
are the main wings easy to take off for transport?
Mine *just* fits nose down in the back of the car so I keep the wings on... To remove and attach the wing you need at a minimum to remove 4 screws, 2 on top and one on each of the wing supports... Kind of a pain but as I said I leave it on...but it's certainly not a big deal either way....

Did you order it?
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:04 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_hawk View Post
Mine *just* fits nose down in the back of the car so I keep the wings on... To remove and attach the wing you need at a minimum to remove 4 screws, 2 on top and one on each of the wing supports... Kind of a pain but as I said I leave it on...but it's certainly not a big deal either way....

Did you order it?
i just ordered it,what car do you transport the plane in?
sucks they dont do free shipping like there sister company hobby partz
Last edited by celm; Mar 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:20 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
i just ordered it,what car do you transport the plane in?
Great, I am sure you will love it... If you can, do a box opening video post.. I am interested to see how well they protect the wing and fuse from dings...

It's my buddy's car, I forget the model, I can post it when I ask him... It's a medium sized car and the distance from inside rear door panel to panel is about 58-59 inches and from ceiling to floor slightly taller than the fuse so I put the spinner on the center of the floor, tail straight up and the landing gear holds the seat, works like a charm but just fits..if you have at least that much space it should work..

Jim
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
sucks they dont do free shipping like there sister company hobby partz
Still a great deal IMO... A plane of this quality with that much detail and durability RTF and sent to your door could cost much more and did until this thing appeared on the market...

Jim
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:00 PM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
I take my wings off everytime I put it in the back seat of my car. I drive a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer, so its not exactly roomy. The wings are super easy to take off. 2 phillips on the top and 2 micro phillips that hold the wing struts on the bottom. Be VERY careful as those bottom screws like to strip and/or get lost. I've been trying to come up with some quick disconnect that is strong enough to take flight, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

I take off the wings because I dont have the room to fit it in the back of my car fully assembled. I CAN leave the wings together and put them in, but they only just fit and I got worried about the arm rests possibly bending the tips, so I just pull them apart. They're only together with the carbon fiber rod, so its not a difficult task at all.
Davedough is offline Find More Posts by Davedough
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:51 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedough View Post
I've been trying to come up with some quick disconnect that is strong enough to take flight, but I haven't come up with anything yet.
I was going to do this too but since it fit in the car ready to go I put it on the back burner.. One way that I think would work although I may not end up doing this is to use snap on control rod clasps (the part that clips onto the servo arm), and connecting one to each wing support.. They are strong but can open and slip off when needed.

Oh for anyone interested my buddy has a Taurus..

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:03 AM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
this is my first plane,im a heli guy. i swore i saw someone at the field have some kind hand carrier that the fuse was there and the 2 wings there also.anyone know what im rambling about?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:21 AM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
this is my first plane,im a heli guy. i swore i saw someone at the field have some kind hand carrier that the fuse was there and the 2 wings there also.anyone know what im rambling about?
He may simply transport it that way but it's not a standard... Too much assembly for me...

Do you have any plane stick time? Much easier than CP heli but you can crash if you are not careful... Get plenty of sim time and be aware of how you need to fly her, don't over bank; get some altitude; learn to keep her in a pattern; learn where you need to be on the field and where you need to start your decent for landing etc.. This plane can go fast so don't let it get too far away to start....

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:25 AM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
He may simply transport it that way but it's not a standard... Too much assembly for me...

Do you have any plane stick time? Much easier than CP heli but you can crash if you are not careful... Get plenty of sim time and be aware of how you need to fly her, don't over bank; get some altitude; learn to keep her in a pattern; learn where you need to be on the field and where you need to start your decent for landing etc.. This plane can go fast so don't let it get too far away to start....

Jim
i have alot of sim time,on the sim i can take off and land,do torques,figure 8`s,knife edge,invert and stalls
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:31 AM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
i have alot of sim time,on the sim i can take off and land,do torques,figure 8`s,knife edge,invert and stalls
Good on the sim time.. Just be calm, cautious, like you did with your heli to start..and expect the unexpected.. We don't want that pretty plane doing any unauthorized "landings"...

Set up the controls so they are the least sensitive and check the pitch of all surfaces for balance so minimal trim will be needed later..

It's also good if you can maiden her with an experienced fixed wing pilot there to help if needed.

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:40 AM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
1,002 Posts
im going to have my friend build it with me and set it up and do maiden flight,i know he is capable of doing he just got his turbine certification.

Quote:
Good on the sim time.. Just be calm, cautious, like you did with your heli to start..and expect the unexpected.. We don't want that pretty plane doing any unauthorized "landings"...

Set up the controls so they are the least sensitive and check the pitch of all surfaces for balance so minimal trim will be needed later..

It's also good if you can maiden her with an experienced fixed wing pilot there to help if needed.

Jim
Last edited by celm; Mar 16, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:41 AM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
One thing that helped me was a piece of advice I got here.... go higher than your initially comfortable with. I too came from helis and my natural instinct was to fly at about 25-50 feet.... I regularly keep this bird at over 100 feet to give myself plenty of correction and orientation room.
Davedough is offline Find More Posts by Davedough
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:48 AM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedough View Post
One thing that helped me was a piece of advice I got here.... go higher than your initially comfortable with. I too came from helis and my natural instinct was to fly at about 25-50 feet.... I regularly keep this bird at over 100 feet to give myself plenty of correction and orientation room.
The old saying was fly three mistakes high.. I prefer about 2.... Flying low is a no no for beginners unlike for helis...you need to take off with authority.. This plane is a little above a true trainer but if you can handle it as a beginner then it can still perform well as you get more advanced..

Just need to be sure you can see the plane clearly as the white foam can glare in the sun...

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:57 AM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
670 Posts
Another good tip I would offer new pilots is to look on youtube for your new plane and search for crashes.... Take a look at what most often caused the crash with your new plane.. Then avoid doing what they did... Let them crash for you... and you'll save yourself a lot of wasted time and money.

Jim