SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
JDMJim, Try another ESC.you are right about dropping one of the power legs. I am pretty sure.
sdjb is offline Find More Posts by sdjb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Im ordering a new ESC tomorrow for my Thunderbolt and the Cessna can have the 30amp out of it...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old May 01, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Dont fry it!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old May 02, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
So far so good

Old May 02, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
VERY cool!!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old May 02, 2012, 04:51 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
nice plane and as the person before me said very COOL!!!!
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old May 02, 2012, 05:33 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Nice to see someone else has the older 4CH version. I thought myself and SM were the only ones... It is increasingly difficult to get parts for this version tough. For example, I am no longer able to find a cowl for it anywhere (except NP) so my suggestion Jim is to be very careful with it....
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Tail incidence could could have changed due to repairs. This happened to my Trojan after a near fatal write-off that I was able to repair. Everything looked fine until I powered up. Shot down the runway and she rotated by herself. I knew I was in trouble within a second. Wanted to climb vertical so tried to trim her out. Not enough trim left so had to fly like never before to get it back in one piece. Got home checked the incidence which was 6 deg positive on the tail. Heated the top fuse rear and bent over my knee. Before next flight I trimmed a little down prior to TO. Had to force the rotation and she wanted to nose down just a little. Trimmed a little up and she flew quite nice.

Wing to tail incidence can cause wicked seesaw effects and very difficult to trim out in flight. You could also have a twist in the tail horizontal stab. Also check lateral balance of wings. Is the motor thrust angle correct?
Thanks ACE as always for the insight. I wanted to do your response justice and verify everything before I responded back which took some time. In fact i actually had to look up what tail incidence is. Almost every single thing you mentioned was wrong on the Plane and I had to fix it. My post crash checklist consisted of things like CG, and making sure the controls are ok, but not the things that you mentioned. I guess I thought that merely having to re-attach the motor mount and painting it doesn't necessitate an "overhaul/tune-up" but at the end of the day it was a bad crash so a comprehensive check is required. In fact, it is probably sensible to check all these before each day of flying given the flexible nature of foam.

Issues I noticed based on your response:
- The right wing is pointing upwards whereas the horizontal stabilizer was twisted in the opposite direction CCW. I was able to mostly straighten it out but it is still not perfect. In the pic below you can clearly see the right wing is still pointing upwards slightly in relation to the left wing and stabilizer.

- The motor mount is at a 5 degrees. Is it suppose to be only 1 degree? The angle is not based on anything I have done. It is all provided by the motor mount. All the motor mounts I have used to date had a similar angle and most definitely greater than 1 so are they making them wrong?

- The down thrust angle is at 2.5 degrees. Too much?

- The lateral balance was wrong! It must have changed by the paint job. I am amazed how much weight the paint added. I used to have this thick screw in the back and the nose was still heavy. After paint it is tail heavy even without the screw. Granted I did use a lot of paint to try and make up for the awful looking foam i had.

- The CG was wrong as well (see pic below). I did test it originally using the "fingers" method but putting it on the stand as in the pic below i think shows it is too tail heavy, right? I have since added some weight upfront. The cowl SM sent me should help once it arrives.

- I still didn't find a good way to measure the tail incidence using the crude "instruments" I have here... Eye balling it seems to suggest it is slightly upwards. What should it be exactly on this Plane? 0 degrees?

Also worth mentioning:
- My nose is probably 1/4 to 1/2" shorter then stock given the various FW fixes.
- In the most recent fix I put the motor mount on a 1/4 ply patch so it makes up for the above somewhat.

Hopefully the above steps will help this wicked seesaw affect. I will give it another shot this weekend and lets see what happens.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 07:19 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Thinking of doing a complete overhaul - cosmetically. I love painting my planes, and my poor ol' 182 is looking a lil' long-in-the-tooth lately.

BTW...anyone got a set of wing struts they aren't using? ($$) And the anchor pieces?

If you have any really great Cessna photos, why not post them and help me choose a new color scheme?

This thread's been slow, so I'd enjoy seeing some feedback.
Thanks!
Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old May 02, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
haha, funny timing. I just posted my new scheme (see previous post to yours). I can't take credit for it. This was the inspiration: http://grubbyfingersshop.com/index.p..._image&pID=100. it would look better with a cowl and of course I still need to add decals (I do have the G-KEMY ones but I figured I will put the AMA # instead).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; May 02, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old May 02, 2012, 08:27 PM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Arnav

I got a cowl and prop from Hobby-paradise last week. Go to FMS parts and 1.4mm, also RC castle has your parts, if 1.4.............b.b.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old May 03, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
I got everything fabbed up and epoxied...I need to fasten the setup to the struts.

Thanks for the concern guys. I am fairly easy on this plane...or all of mine for that matter.

I need to do a static test now in the water to see how well the floats are sealed....ESC ordered too
Old May 03, 2012, 06:32 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
heres a interesting scheme..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old May 03, 2012, 06:35 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
and this one..