HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
MooseHead13
United States, IL, Darien
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Don't know what the deal is. Fixed the wing tip rebuilt the front gear looked her over real good, checked every thing twice all seemed, fine went out to try again.Taxied her still all good,hit the gas, and up10 to 15 ft and HRD. 90 to a lawn dart.Tryed to pull it out but no good looked every thing over thank good nothing broken.But I'm still scratching my head what caused the hard 90. Its got me stumped
MooseHead13 is offline Find More Posts by MooseHead13
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,439 Posts
hmm, that is odd. Personally i have no clue but let me ask you that:

- Was the battery charged? How do you know? Did you measure it before the flight? You think you may have hit LVC?
- Did you notice if the Motor was running or not?
- Did you remove the wings after the first flight to make sure all is OK inside (e.g. servo tray is still connected, etc')?
- What Tx/Rx are you using?
- Did you make sure the clevises are all secure? The stock ones failed on me. They may break in a crash as well. Make sure there is no white stress marks on them at the base of the pin.
- You wouldn't have been able to take off if what I am about to say was the case but if you are using the stock radio did the Elev reverse button got pushed? Not in mid flight but with the stock radio these kept moving on me to the wrong location.
- Interference?
- Presumably there was no sudden wind gust?
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
SM, do you know where we the 4CH second class citizens, can find a cowl to our version (except NP)? I looked on SN, Castle, Paradise, Philip, etc' and no one seem to carry it anymore.

Got another last minute call to go flying at dusk. Took off at 7:30PM after my buddy. At some point he goes "can you tell me in which direction my Plane is going?" After a series of guided "left", "left," "right," etc' we got the Plane back. Would have been a shame to lose that plane (Nitro Pulse XT60) so luckily together we were able to bring it back. He said he is done flying at dusk (tough soon at summer time it is going to get dark at 8/9pm anyway)...

When I took off again the plane made a 90 degrees turn right after take off 5 ft off the ground and again seesawed like a pendulum from side to side say 15ft across. Luckily I was able to regain control. No issues while flying or landing. What is this a symptom of?
This has started after the last fix (where the tail is heavier and I have 3D like authority). Is this a sign of a tail heavy plane or too much throws or both? I checked CG after the fix and it looked ok, but I'll do it again and post a pic.

Worst part of the flight? When my co-pilot sat on the vertical stabilizer when he got into his seat...
Tail incidence could could have changed due to repairs. This happened to my Trojan after a near fatal write-off that I was able to repair. Everything looked fine until I powered up. Shot down the runway and she rotated by herself. I knew I was in trouble within a second. Wanted to climb vertical so tried to trim her out. Not enough trim left so had to fly like never before to get it back in one piece. Got home checked the incidence which was 6 deg positive on the tail. Heated the top fuse rear and bent over my knee. Before next flight I trimmed a little down prior to TO. Had to force the rotation and she wanted to nose down just a little. Trimmed a little up and she flew quite nice.

Wing to tail incidence can cause wicked seesaw effects and very difficult to trim out in flight. You could also have a twist in the tail horizontal stab. Also check lateral balance of wings. Is the motor thrust angle correct?
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Last week I nosed-in and bent the prop adaptor shaft. I couldn't straighten it perfectly, so as I was rummaging through my spares... I found a brand new, unopened shaft!
I had forgotten about it! (Never pass the age of 50! You forget everything!)

Anyway, I flew a great flight yesterday AM, then flew a few other planes and then went back to the 182. About 3 minutes into the flight, I was doing a low pass and saw that the prop was DEAD.
I had time to flap-down and coast her in nicely. I thought it was a bad lipo, but when I retrieved the plane I taxied it all the way back to my car with plenty of power.

What would make the plane die (as it did last week too) but not have a bad lipo or rx (was able to steer and drop flaps both times). Do you think my ESC is thermalling off?

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Apr 26, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,929 Posts
Could be a bad ESC I had a students plane stay on full power after throttle stopped responding and locked up in high. Next flight was fine? Another thing is throttle curve. Some times if you have the TC with to much ramp up it can stop responding. Check end points on throttle channel on TX
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:27 PM
Ya gotta land eventually...
United States, NY, Mahopac
Joined Sep 2010
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post

I decided to go for it after all. I am not sure what the wind was like exactly. Three different weather services had different figures between 15 and 19mph. No idea what the gusts were. On take-off the Plane jerked from side to side like a seesaw but I was able to regain control. It was really scary and a very close call. I must not have been pointing directly at the wind.
Trimming was mostly a futile exercise. I was scared to do anything but circle around. I was also scared to land. I did a few practice approaches and the plane was jerking around so badly 10 to 20 ft off the ground and needed more aileron correction than I normally be comfortable at this height. Well, after 9 mins I decided to land and it went down perfectly. I was really trying to manage the the throttle appropriately (like you suggested) and it really helped having the Plane more powered.

On the second flight, I took off and at about 6 to 8 feet, the Plane rolled upside down over the right wing and straight down to the ground. A bent prop shaft was the only damage. The spare was at home so that was it for the day...
I am assuming again I was not perfectly against the wind unless it shifted on me.

It wasn't bad flying late like that, I may do it more often.
Always keep the upwind wing pointed down whenever possible. On landings, once you touch down, give full aileron deflection in direction of wind to prevent the plane from flipping over. In high winds pick a spot to land and point plane nose down to it with power and it will settle pretty well/ try not to flair. I do a lot of flying in winds and this is how I was taught. Helped a lot for me. Of course cross wind take off and landing are very tough and practicing cross controls on SIM and very calm days is pretty useful to me.

Glad to hear it was not bad crash, and congrats braving the elements. Next time youllbe even more calm during the event.

David
Davey NY is offline Find More Posts by Davey NY
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd View Post
The only issue that has developed (nose gear, yep) is that the nose gear has become loose and wants to move too easily left and right. It is not bent and my landings have all been on the main gear and smooth. The taxiways at my field are a bit bumpy (fabric covered) and I taxi slow with full up elevator but I cant keep that allen screw tight enough.
I'm a little late to the party, but if you're still looking for a solution not involving total replacement of the gear, see the illustration in this post:

Link to post #2490

And my written description of the problem and solution in an earlier post:

Link to post #1964
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Last edited by BrundleFlyBy; May 02, 2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link (Thanks to Redline19k for the heads up).
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
165 Posts
Thanks BrundleFlyBy...that helps a lot.
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,929 Posts
Just stick a dubro gear on it and all your troubles are over. Even with the notches that gear is poor quality and to thin for the weight of this model. Only real gripe that I have with it. Surprised they have not fixed it on later releases. OR... do they own stock in Dubro?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Need ESC....bought floats.....that is all....lol

But I still am thinking about the retract idea
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Need ESC....bought floats.....that is all....lol

But I still am thinking about the retract idea
Get another plane instead of retracts
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I have a P-47, a Funcub, a neighbors Flyzone Piper, this Cessna and a GWS BN2 Islander That's about to become a seaplane if I can get the front wheel to steer good....
Old May 01, 2012, 02:15 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
Brushless Outrunner Motor (3536-kv900)
hi has enyone tride a 4cell Lipo 2200mAh with this motor.
thanks.
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3
Old May 01, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
so I tried something on my Cessna. I took the electronics out and set it all on the table. holding the motor, I tried to do a runup, but just get stuttering....I unplugged one of the leads, got stuttering. I feel I dropped a line on the ESC. It kinda warm within a minute too....
Old May 01, 2012, 03:29 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
That actually sounds like a possible short in the motor from excessive heat, but it could be a bad ESC just as well.
I've had too many problems like that 3 outta 4 times it was the motor, and I ended up getting a new motor.
Boy this thread has been slow! Stupidmonkee...where are you!!
Just got a 3DHS EPPSlick to practice 3D on!!
Maybe its because of all the tornadoes....we are currently in a tornado watch!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer