HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Pretty cool site to see the winds. Click to zoom, hover for speed.

better site for forecasts
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
I maiden crashed my Edge today flight lasted 45 seconds! It needs a new wing and fuse now. The huge flight surfaces are touchy to say the least. I guess it is back to the Cessna.
Dude,
Sorry to hear that. I can't believe you didn't hook up with someone to use the buddy cord. You hate to see a beaut like that getting tore up. I'm sure with your rebuilding skills, she will be back in 1 piece soon.
FIND A BUDDY WITH A CORD......
wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine19k View Post
We use that in science class!!! Remember all of the tornadoes in AR? We were watching them there
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Last edited by Alex Schauer; Apr 23, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
I don;t think there were many tornadoes in alaska.
States with lowest incidence of tornadoes (total number, 1950–2004): Alaska (2), Rhode Island (9), Hawaii (31), Vermont (37), Oregon (87)

Now AR (Arkansas) had a lot back in Jan.

Either way, I'm glad your teacher shows you some cool stuff. Seeing the winds moving and weather change is a lot better than just numbers on a map. Did it look like this near dallas?
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:36 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,536 Posts
Yup!!
Sorry got my abbreviations mixed up...pathetic of me sorry!!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Yup!!
Sorry got my abbreviations mixed up...pathetic of me sorry!!
When they reported that weather on TV, the text on screen said AK. I actually LOLed.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:44 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Yes, I think we share the same whether patterns. Are you referring to around 8AM to 9 AM Sunday? If so, it was bizarre how calm it got and then all of a sudden it completely picked up again (much like you by the time I finished contemplating).

I agree about April. A friend looked at weather patterns for the last 10 years and concluded that March/April are the windiest months of the year and that soon it will get much calmer (albeit hot and humid as you can expect from a FL summer... )
@Arnav
Looks like Wed. is supposed to be a very low wind speed day.
Can't wait to fly and work the cobwebs out of the thumb joints!

Just hover over the wind speed box and it'll show you the forecasted speeds.
http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/mlb.php

MAC
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
165 Posts
Nose gear fixes

Welll guys, I have flown my 182 five times now and I really like it. The only issue that has developed (nose gear, yep) is that the nose gear has become loose and wants to move too easily left and right. It is not bent and my landings have all been on the main gear and smooth. The taxiways at my field are a bit bumpy (fabric covered) and I taxi slow with full up elevator but I cant keep that allen screw tight enough. I dont want to change out the whole gear yet and am looking for some solutions to allen screw...should I get a bigger one? What size?
I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of heat coming from ESC or the motor after a 7 minute flight. I always let everything cool down before I take her up again, but not sure if this is a problem or what. I do have a higher amp ESC if I need to install it, but we have several guys at our field with this plane that have had no problems. My plane is the V4 version with the 35 amp ESC.
Otherwise, it looks awesome and flies great!
davidrd is online now Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
MooseHead13
United States, IL, Darien
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Up and Down

I finally got to fly her today. First time ever other then the sim.It was exhilarating, nerve racking and one of the best experience I ever had . The first time up a little over 5 min she flew nice I think (first time so no reference to compare to) landing was another story Here's some photos I have to find someone near me to buddy box with or something I still don't know how to set up my trims. But all in all I had a BLAST
MooseHead13 is offline Find More Posts by MooseHead13
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:08 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,536 Posts
Congrats!
Thats not too bad!! Just glue it back up, but be sure to balance the wing afterwards...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHead13 View Post
I finally got to fly her today. First time ever other then the sim.It was exhilarating, nerve racking and one of the best experience I ever had . The first time up a little over 5 min she flew nice I think (first time so no reference to compare to) landing was another story Here's some photos I have to find someone near me to buddy box with or something I still don't know how to set up my trims. But all in all I had a BLAST
I'm pretty close to you.....hit me up sometime.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 PM
MooseHead13
United States, IL, Darien
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Thanks Jim I'll have to take you up on the offer one day before I destroy my bird.
MooseHead13 is offline Find More Posts by MooseHead13
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,433 Posts
David, yep, that is the exact reason why we have said you need to replace the stock nose gear. It is not worth taxing or landing into something/someone or damaging the Plane becuase of it. It is a very quick fix.

MooseHead, good job! You did it man. The hardest part is behind you... You should practice trimming in the SIM. Put one channel's trim in the opposite direction then take off, level at a height, and trim. Eventually when you can trim a single channel, put all the channels out of whack and trim. Get used to doing it without having to look down at the Tx. If you want to up the ante, have someone else put the Sim's control out of trim so that it catches you by surprises.

What exactly happened on landing? Don't worry about the damage, its nothing.

If there is a runway in your field don't worry about landing on it. Concentrate more on having a nice approach and rate of decent even if it means you have to do it on the grass. Make sure to practices approaches and touch-and-go's when you are up in the air. This is all I used to do until landings becomes a "second nature." If it is windy of course make sure to land into the wind. If there is no wind whatsoever I found it easier to kill the throttle completely and glide it down (and only recently started to worry about throttle control during landings on windy days). Of course, a buddy is the best and safest option... Good luck!
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:29 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,433 Posts
SM, do you know where we the 4CH second class citizens, can find a cowl to our version (except NP)? I looked on SN, Castle, Paradise, Philip, etc' and no one seem to carry it anymore.

Got another last minute call to go flying at dusk. Took off at 7:30PM after my buddy. At some point he goes "can you tell me in which direction my Plane is going?" After a series of guided "left", "left," "right," etc' we got the Plane back. Would have been a shame to lose that plane (Nitro Pulse XT60) so luckily together we were able to bring it back. He said he is done flying at dusk (tough soon at summer time it is going to get dark at 8/9pm anyway)...

When I took off again the plane made a 90 degrees turn right after take off 5 ft off the ground and again seesawed like a pendulum from side to side say 15ft across. Luckily I was able to regain control. No issues while flying or landing. What is this a symptom of?
This has started after the last fix (where the tail is heavier and I have 3D like authority). Is this a sign of a tail heavy plane or too much throws or both? I checked CG after the fix and it looked ok, but I'll do it again and post a pic.

Worst part of the flight? When my co-pilot sat on the vertical stabilizer when he got into his seat...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Apr 25, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
sounds tail heavy...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim