SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
MooseHead13
United States, IL, Darien
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
So what size batteries is everyone use I'm lookig to get some more I have 25c 2200mAh how big can I go any suggestion??
MooseHead13 is offline Find More Posts by MooseHead13
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
2200 give a nice and easy 9 min flight with lots of reserve.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
I use sky lipo 3s 2200 30 and 40c batteries I have 2 of each from hobbypartz.com (the only thing I will buy from companies affiliated with nitroplanes). The 40c batteries last longer. From what I understand, the planes will accept up to 3S 3300MAH with no mods to the battery bay. The reason I use Sky Lipo is they have a metal plate on the front and back of the battery wich helps protect them in-case they get ejected during a crash. I have gotten 14 min flight times on the 30c batteries flying at 50% throttle, however I have hit LVC doing so. For safe fun flights I set my timers to 9 min.. Enjoy!
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Last edited by stoopidmonkey; Apr 19, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I have been following this thread for a while and I am not aware of anyone who have moved it (i.e. flies with the CG either more forward/backwards). In addition, the Plane flies remarkably well even if it is extremely nose heavy.
+1 it is uncanny how well the plane flies with more nose weight.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
I use Turnigy 3.3s but the leads exit the side of the battery, and fitting was a real hassle. It was a very tight fit and there was also some binding on the nosewheel pushrod.

I hollowed out a channel so the battery could sit "on edge" instead. No binding, much easier fit and cooling path. Just make sure the plastic notch at the front of the bay is smooth or far enough from battery not to cut, and use a strap or crossbar to keep the battery secure.
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Here is how a 3000mah one fit. RedLine is correct, i had to bore a small hole (1/4" to 1/2") to make room for the wires:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3/8/5/6/6/9/a4600401-223-IMG_20120201_231150.jpg

To get appreciation of how much the wires are sticking out above and beyond the advertised specs see this pic (about 1/4" wider than the HK spec)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4585260
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Arnav has the older version of the plane. The pics before his show how much more room the newer versions have.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Correct. good call. I wonder what are the measurements of the 6CH version are then. At least from both pics it seems like you can easily identify the older version from the new one (i.e. the new one seems to have grooves in it?).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:28 PM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
Well I am ready to maiden mine. I got 332.4 watts@32.59 amps, with 11x7 APC prop, 11.1v 2200 mah 25C SkyLipo. The prop that came with my kit was messed up.
sdjb is offline Find More Posts by sdjb
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Good luck!

I have been making good progress on fixing mine. It is basically all done. I just need to put the electronics in. If there are no major surprises it should be ready for flying this weekend (minus a cowl - oh well). It is also going to look a little different next time you see it but I am not saying/showing more until i get a cowl and maybe some decals..

Instead of taking the easy way out, I actually used it to experiment with fixes I haven't made yet:

- I had Nylon hinges but instead decided to give CA hinges a try as I have never used these before. Assuming they hold (almost) as well as Nylon Hinges they are definitely a breeze to put in. Right now I have either CA or Nylon hinges all around. No more foam hinges for me...

- I implemented the wire mod for the elevator. It is nice to see the two halves moving equally now...

- I have a NIB Plane which I need to paint. I never painted EPO before so I figured better practice on this one first... My findings:
  • The quintessential HomeDepot rust-oleum primer and spray paint works great on this foam without melting it away.
  • The basic painters tape from HomeDepot pulled the primer and paint which I guess means the primer did not adhere well enough to the foam (granted they tell you it will take 5 days to dry on plastic). I am not sure if paint without primer would work any better. I still need to pull some tape away and I am scared...
  • Primer and paint would not make bad looking foam new again. it is almost as if you really want to spackle it first... I am not sure what you would use in this case. I found the hard way epoxy is a terrible filler...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:01 PM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
arnav , Krylon H2O works real good on EPO, I have lots of luck with it, and I do not use primer.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Yes, I used the krylon shortcuts spray before on the vertical stabilizer. I was just curious how the rust-o brand would work.
I am happy I used a primer. It did improve the look of the foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
Well I have tired all kinds of paint on faom over the years and I have yet to find anything that will stick real well. There are some plastic skins out that you paint on, that are really light.
I have not tried them yet. I'll try and find the web page and post the link.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Some other things to try:

lightly sand the surface to give the paint more surface to adhere to

give the surface a wipe down using a mild soap solution to remove any mold release used during manufacture

I usually follow the above 2 steps with a coating of wbpu before the actual paint.

Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Yes I actually did sand but in some cases the foam developed this "hair" (if that makes sense). Do you know what I am talking about? It was happening even when I made sure to not over sand and when I tried different grits. Do you use a particular WBPU or will any do? How many coats do you apply?
RCG Plus Member