HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,139 Posts
I have a year under my belt now for flying....I make mistakes too, But I use alot of battery time practicing approached and low flying....But yea, turning on rudder keeps the nose a little more predictable....This plane started me with that habit....seems most high wing planes like rudder turns....I'll try reprogramming the ESC once more before I start moving parts from my Thunderbolt to the Cessna....Altho I am thinking of moving on from the Cessna to something else. I have 2 highwing planes and a warbird....My Funcub is fully loaded leaving the little more than a plane to practice trike landings...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Arnav,
Have watched your crash video a few times. I have a hard time seeing where you tried to switch to inverted unless it was on the downside of the loop. That is a tough place to go inverted - better done by leveling out at the top of the loop while you are upside down already and further from the ground.

Easy places to try combo moves are...

At the top of a loop - half roll to upright level flight or full roll inverted to inverted

After you come out of the loop - half roll to inverted or full roll upright to upright

On the up side of the loop - full roll then continue the loop

Any combo move on the downside of a loop is pretty dangerous - at most I would try a roll, but you need plenty of altitude to risk that

Wolfe
Wolfe, there was actually a compounded mistake here. I decided to go inverted at the top of the loop (which would have made it half a loop of course). However, I dumb-thumbed it and pulled up instead of down... That means that you will not see a transition to inverted but rather the loop getting tighter (or same) as I push the control the wrong way. I suspect that if I left it at that, the Plane may have actually completed the loop and everything would be fine.
However, I made the situation even worst by realizing that I made a mistake and then "correcting" the controls by pulling down to inverted (instead of leaving it as is) on the down side of the loop. Of course, at this point the Plane just accelerated and it was too late to pull out inverted.

Thanks for all the maneuverer tips, I will add them to the flight plan (so far I am only practicing one - when I don't deviate and crash that is). I just need to figure out how to fly in the Camera's view.

I already made fuse soup this AM to straighten the foam and it looks good.

The forecast for this weekend calls for 20mph winds so it doesn't look I will be missing out if it is not fixed by tomorrow. If it is, I will probably go out as without a cowl, I don't have whole lot to lose anyway...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Apache Junction,Arizona
Joined Jul 2003
469 Posts
Well, I got one coming in on monday. The kit version, sure like what I have seen of this plane so far. arnav sorry bout your plane, liked the video.

sdjb
sdjb is offline Find More Posts by sdjb
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
You can see your thought process in the vid. Had you just pulled back on the stick it would have completed the loop. You can see the slight hesitation and wanting to push forward to go inverted then either releasing the stick to center or starting to pull it back just before it lawn darted itself into the dirt. Exactly as you described.

Re-watching the vid makes it look like you decided to go inverted too late. Of course it all happens much quicker in real life and not on videa.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:20 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
LOL, Thank you for being kind and not saying "You can see your thought process in the vid [or lack thereof]"

Thanks sdjb, I suspect you will really like it.

Here is the first flight from that eventful day. This is the flight where I have the onboard mini-CAM footage and not the ground one. I know you folks like better the ground video so this will probably be the last on-board one. I am posting it:

- So you can see how close I had to fly to the tree to make it over the Camera. I completely misjudged how much space i need to turn and fly over it.

- At some point (1:15), the aft part of the fuse brushes against the tree but the Plane was not affected. *** sigh*** close call.

- Because I am proud of the landing. It was a very hot approach but for the first time I was able to bring it straight to my legs. Don't ask me to repeat it, probably a fluke...

EDIT: funny timing. Just got a new mini-CAM delivered so future fpv vids should hopefully be better as well.

EDIT 2: Just got my first Prop balancer (I know I know, embarrassing). Of course all the Props are out of whack. Hopefully flying with a balanced prop will eliminate the vibrations from the onboard video...

SkyTrainer Touches a Tree in Mid-flight - Unfazed by It... (9 min 27 sec)
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Apr 13, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That was a nice flight, Arnav

Welcome to our little group, SD

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:37 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Parts!!

Here is another place where we can get parts for our planes!!!!!!

http://www.shopatron.com/home/index/745.0.4.3
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
MooseHead13
United States, IL, Darien
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Hay SM what size battery you running now these days?
MooseHead13 is offline Find More Posts by MooseHead13
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,494 Posts
Just watched the video. Wow, that really sucks. I still haven't been able to fly mine yet. Had to put a cover on the bed of my truck. Now I need to find a place to fly. All in due time. Gonna go scout out a place tomorrow. A big park area. Soccer fields and the like. Just hope to find a place close to home. Been logging a lot of time on the simulator. ClearView. Pretty good flight sim in my opinion. Well by for now. And again that too bad about your plane arnav.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Hi guys

Been following the thread for a couple of months (read most of it) I bought the plane and have been slowly putting it and things togeather. I'm on chemo for the next 6 months so I won't fly till i'm finished. This was the only thing on my bucket list.

My question for the group since I have to start from scratch with batts What do you all recommmend , stay with 2200 3cell little larger mah , 4 cells, what do ya recommend

Thanks

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,753 Posts
3 cell batteries provide more than enough power; going to 4 cell batteries will spin the motor faster, so a smaller diameter than stock propeller would be needed to keep from frying the motor.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
3 cell batteries provide more than enough power; going to 4 cell batteries will spin the motor faster, so a smaller diameter than stock propeller would be needed to keep from frying the motor.
Is the motor/ESC capable of 4s?
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
Thank you

Kind of the direction I was headed, I put a 45amp esc in (replacing the stock 35)
and it came with the 850 motor.

Practicing every day on the sim. The surgery I had In Jan (8hrs) left me with nerve damage in my right hand they tell me it will take months to get feeling back so it's kind of interesting with the right stick LOL

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHead13 View Post
Hay SM what size battery you running now these days?
i AM RUNNING 3S 2200MAH 40C batteries
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:50 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Is the motor/ESC capable of 4s?
yes they are!!