HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Spektrum sux....Futaba FASST is fabulous!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,437 Posts
BTW Alex, I forgot to tell you that yesterday I used a dummy "spam buster" gmail account I have, went straight to youtube, and was able to signup the account for monetization without even uploading a single video (i.e. I was able to go past the "accept" button). So I am not sure what is going on. Sorry.... Try and send an email to partner-support@youtube.com and see if they can help. Otherwise, try and post the issue in the google youtube support forum...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Thanks for all the effort arnav!!-ill give it a try! Thanks!!
Alex
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,437 Posts
Crash!

Today was my turn.....
I knew the field is going to be empty so i figured this will be a good time to experiment with regular photography (as oppose to fpv one) without making a complete fool of myself. I didn't know how much the Camera is going to be able to capture so decided to do fly-bys over the camera instead of trying to fly in its view. Was flying 6 to 15 feet off the ground at 3/4 Throttle... The first flight the Camera stopped recording so I only have the onboard footage. The second flight the FPV Camera stopped recording (prob given the crash) so I only have ground camera view. Shame, I wanted to have both for the same flight...
After 14 mins of those fly-bys of course I got bored which us where I get into trouble... Without a Plan, I decided to make a loop in front of the camera (low to the ground) and a split second decision to go inverted as a continuous maneuver from the loop. Then of course I dumb-thumb it and pulled up instead of down... Disappointing considering how much time I have been spending inverted lately.
Oh well, all in a day of flying. I wasn't in the right mind frame (was kind of nervous through those two flights).
The plane is completely repairable. It is a amazing how durable it is:
- Right horizontal Stab broke off
- Wing buckled at the LE where it meets the fuse
- Wing strut broke off where I connected the FPV Cam today (which is interesting)
- Motor mount broke off the FW abd the FW is intact (may just glue a pice of ply over the FW to patch it).
- Aileron broke off (easy to fix)
- Fuse bended behind FW. Nothing that hot water cannot fix.
Incredible. If none of the electronics are damaged and I am motivated later, maybe I will fix it for tomorrow (for a 2nd attempt). Hopefully the videos are worth the crash...
The only downside is the embarrassment of flying without a cowl now. I didn't order a spare one as I didn't think I will fix it again....
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
That sucks Arnav, I am glad to hear that you will be able to fix it. Welcome to the no cowl club. Thing is I have a couple spare cowls but my motor does not fit with the cowl. If you want I can send you one.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Sorry to hear you crashed, Arnav. That happens when you are just really leaning inverted. have done it myself a few times

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,437 Posts
Thanks guys. I should have been more focused. So far, two out of two times I brought the twins with me I crash

Thanks SM for the offer! Since I already have your address if you tell me the size of the box you are using or if it fits in a priority flat rate box I will generate a label for you. You guys are the best.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,927 Posts
Armav.... I swear I'll come down and whack you on the head with your TX!! First rule of flying. PLAN AHEAD!!. You can always do a go around and try again. BAD BOY!.... Laugh
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
The Sky Trainer is probably not the best airplane to try too many tricks with too close to the ground. She doesn't react quickly enough to get you out of trouble easily. No high wing does.

On the other hand, your Formosa will when you get her in the air, Arnav.

Patience, Grasshopper LOL

Wolfe
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,437 Posts
LOL, i know I know I deserve the hard time... in my previous post I was actually going to put "sorry ACE" (knowing that I am going to get it) . Impulse and flying don't really get along together. I hope to eventually get it...I was actually doing really well the past few weekends and knowing i have a NIB Plane at home I decided to take extra risks. Flying so fast and low to the ground for an entire 2 flights is not a good idea.
For the first flight I had a tree in the way of the approaches, for the second, i realized there are kids in the court (which you are not suppose to fly over). So basically for both flights I was caught of guard as to how much space I actually needed for the fly-by approaches. I was also in a rush to get in each lap back in front of the Camera which is stupid as all those empty scenes will be left on the editing room floor anyway...
Anyhow I finished reviewing the videos and they are pretty funny. I am hoping to edit and upload tonight still.
RCG Plus Member
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Thanks guys. I should have been more focused. So far, two out of two times I brought the twins with me I crash

Thanks SM for the offer! Since I already have your address if you tell me the size of the box you are using or if it fits in a priority flat rate box I will generate a label for you. You guys are the best.
just pm me your info I still owe you for the RX . I will also send the 900kv motor and 40A esc in exchange for your factory TX? I am building a scratch built out of some Home Depot foam for my boys, if it works I could use the radio gear and build 2 so they do not fight as much.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,437 Posts
Wolfe, Yes! I am very excited. Right after the crash I stopped at the LHS to pick up my Mosa (which arrived there yesterday). Best case scenario I will be done by Sunday (but next weekend may be more realistic).

SM, sure thing. If you prefer, I'll take a cowl over the ESC. I will send you the Tx tomorrow and PM you my address. The Tx still has those clear nylon covers/stickers so if you peel those it should look brand new.

BTW, did you guys know that supposedly through an easy mod, you can make the 4-CH Tx into a 6CH-Tx? There is a relevant thread somewhere on rcgroups. All the electronics seems to be there, you just need to add the switches (or something like that).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Great, Arnav. You need a better wind/aerobatic plane before your poor Sky Trainer self destructs in flight from excessive G-Forces LOL.

I started working one my "Take-Off Rolls" today. I want to be able to take off and roll right away as I climb out from the take off. I think the Mosas should be able to do that fairly well. So far I can do it within about 30 feet of take - off - kinda scary, though, we will see how it goes.

I would never try that on the Sky Trainer

Wolfe
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,437 Posts
haha, i always do that on the SIM as I am bored taking off and it is a great way to pass the time getting to the middle of the field... If only things were that easy in the real world. The funny thing is, it is kind of easy to do on the 2 planes I fly on the SIM as they just roll really quickly with only aileron input and it takes long time for gravity to take over.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well it takes a while to roll the Sky Trainer, so it needs some up elevator when it passes through inverted and the pitch of the plane tends to change during the roll. The sport planes roll enough more quickly that the pitch doesn't have time to change all that much and they tend to say on whatever pitch line they were on when you started the roll.

You just have to train yourself not to chicken out no matter what and learn to come out of it right side up and wings level.

Easier said than done on a consistent basis. Once you start messing with any of this stuff close to the ground, a little mistake goes a long way to creating a disaster.

Wolfe