HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:20 AM
Registered User
kingsnake11's Avatar
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
I see no reason to use metal gear in anything but the nose gear. The plastic gears in the HXT900's and their twin the T-Pro SG90's are tough. They work just fine in this bird.
Having the nose gear on metal geared servo's is a good idea especially for those times that the front gear takes a hard hit from a too low nose landing. Metal geared servos however are most important on the elevator too. I change all my elevator servos on my more expensive aircraft to metal gear servos. The reason is that if the elevator servo strips it's gears....you will crash you aircraft...can't help that....so you want to have a really reliable metal geared servo gear at that point.

These cessna's are great flying birds but do have some poor design features. On mine, I changed the tires to bush tires (dubro 3 inch on the mains and 2.25 inch on the nose) and completely rebuilt the nose gear assembly with a dubro nose gear system. As we usually fly from a gravel or grass field I found this to be really a necessity but it also works much better when landing on asphalt. I also reinforced the elevator with a custum bent wire to secure the two halves of the elevator more securely. The last is really important as I saw one come apart on a buddies aircraft in a loop recovery....needless to say...that aircraft was totalled.

ks
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Your setup sounds just like mine minus the elevator mods.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
Relative Newbie
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
I think I am going to change to bush tires too, as the only suitable flying sites I have found around here are from dirt roads. Which nose gear do you guys use? The universal, steerable, or 1/2A steerable gear?
FooTech is offline Find More Posts by FooTech
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:27 AM
CRASH MONKEY
stoopidmonkey's Avatar
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooTech View Post
I think I am going to change to bush tires too, as the only suitable flying sites I have found around here are from dirt roads. Which nose gear do you guys use? The universal, steerable, or 1/2A steerable gear?
yeah we all use the dubro 1/2A nose gear works great. BTW welcome to the forum.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Myself (and I'm pretty sure Ace as well) actually use the 5/32" Steerable Nose Gear-Straight Dubro #153 which is much heavier.

...Because your nose gear can never be thick enough...

I like that it makes the plane heavier. I have seen a huge improvement in windy conditions.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
All the guys at my field use the 1/2A. Haven't broken one yet. I think either will do you just fine.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake11 View Post
I also reinforced the elevator with a custum bent wire to secure the two halves of the elevator more securely.
Would you be able to post pics of what you have done? I see the very same problem in mine. The foam which connects both Elevator parts is worn and has gotten flexible. I do have a new elevator to use, but i suspect that over time it will develop the same issue. I thought of reinforcing both parts (as oppose to control them together like you have done), but it doesn't look like there is enough space to do that.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I imagine something like this would work well. I did a similar mod to my 800mm Corsair. You bend a wire into a C shape with 90deg corners and embed it into the surface. The wire will run along the top/bottom of the elevator and go through the hole in the fuse where the elevator has room to move.

Pic reused from one of wjb111's previous posts
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
All the guys at my field use the 1/2A. Haven't broken one yet. I think either will do you just fine.
Yes I agree. Ideally the 1/2A should be perfect. I wish they would come stock. I don't think the 1/2A will ever break (if anything maybe bent in a crash). My issue was that 1/4" of the FW bottom was broken (before I replaced it completely) and there was nothing to stick the 1/2A into and it would have been too short to use higher up.

I do think tough that if someone tend to land really hard (and of course the question is why, and what are they going to do about it) that they may break their FW as the 1/2A puts all the force at the bottom of the FW. What I like about the 5/32 one, is that you can connect it more towards the center of the FW which helps distribute the force across the whole FW.

If someone tends to land really hard, and simply replace with the 1/2A i think that ultimately all that would happen next is that the FW will start breaking next...

Either way I would recommended replacing the stock FW with a plywood one. Especially for beginners...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:47 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
I imagine something like this would work well. I did a similar mod to my 800mm Corsair. You bend a wire into a C shape with 90deg corners and embed it into the surface. The wire will run along the top/bottom of the elevator and go through the hole in the fuse where the elevator has room to move.

Pic reused from one of wjb111's previous posts
Gottcha, that does make a lot of sense (duh). I was thinking of using plywood, but using wire is a much better idea and would help with clearance as well. I definitely have to do that. Right now the left elevator portion is "lazy" and like to stay behind...

The pics you reused is intriguing. It looks like he disconnected them altogether (if I see right).
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Another view.

I believe that pic was yours.

I think his was just a pic of his stock setup. No mods done. Could that be another change/improvement in the newer versions?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Last edited by crucial; Mar 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Yes I agree. Ideally the 1/2A should be perfect. I wish they would come stock. I don't think the 1/2A will ever break (if anything maybe bent in a crash). My issue was that 1/4" of the FW bottom was broken (before I replaced it completely) and there was nothing to stick the 1/2A into and it would have been too short to use higher up.

I do think tough that if someone tend to land really hard (and of course the question is why, and what are they going to do about it) that they may break their FW as the 1/2A puts all the force at the bottom of the FW. What I like about the 5/32 one, is that you can connect it more towards the center of the FW which helps distribute the force across the whole FW.

If someone tends to land really hard, and simply replace with the 1/2A i think that ultimately all that would happen next is that the FW will start breaking next...

Either way I would recommended replacing the stock FW with a plywood one. Especially for beginners...
My dads latest mod was to add a 2mmx11mm carbon strip between the bottom mount and the battery box to help strengthen that area. His nose gear is solid now. There is no play to it at all.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Whose rudder is that? That is the ugliest vertical stabilizer I have ever seen!

Oh wait, its mine, never mind...

It does look much better after putting it in boiling water. it finally has a nice straight line again as oppose to that hunchback look. I do still need to paint it.

I like the Carbon idea. I guess there are two approaches that I have seen now then:
1) Strengthen the area between the FW and battery box (like you suggested). I see no reason why not to do that as an immediate step. Quick and easy, so why not?
2) Keep the area soft to absorb shock, but be able to replace it. Ace put a balsa block to do that if I remember correctly. After a hard landing or a crash you can just replace the shock absorber... There is a pic in this thread somewhere showing it. Maybe Ace have it handy.

I like your Dad's wheel BTW. So much more real and shock absorbing looking than my 2-3/4 super light ones. When you have a chance, maybe you can ask which one are those...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Registered User
crucial's Avatar
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
That's not his wheel! I shamelessly reused the pic from another post in this thread.

We use Dave Brown treaded Lite Flite wheels. They are soft for shock absorption and do not seem to wear out at all. After an entire flying season on grass and asphalt they show no signs of wear.

http://www.dbproducts.com/store/lfwh.htm
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
Relative Newbie
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
yeah we all use the dubro 1/2A nose gear works great. BTW welcome to the forum.
Thanks man. And thanks for all the help guys.

Chris
FooTech is offline Find More Posts by FooTech
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dynam Sky Trainer Cessna 182 dbc Foamies (Kits) 759 Sep 08, 2014 10:35 AM
Discussion New Airfield Cessna 182 Sky Trainer w/ Lights and flaps al18r21 Electric Plane Talk 91 Nov 30, 2012 10:30 AM
New Product New Airfield Cessna 182 skytrainer nitroplanes Scale Kit/Scratch Built 323 Apr 01, 2012 09:33 AM
Question Nitoplanes Airfield RC 55 Trainer $139.00 hyed Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 15 May 20, 2011 05:13 PM
Sold Nitro Planes Foam AirField Cessna Skyline 182 - 55" Trainer "RTF" $100 FlyBoyTha1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Feb 10, 2010 05:15 PM