HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:49 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
167 Posts
mine has the exact same issue,vertical stab slightly bowed to the left (when looking from the rear)
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2006
55 Posts
Alright my dear friends,

The LAST thing I'd like to do is pull this topic into a downward spiral of a tangent, but I've got to do it! I've read a wonderful amount and am looking for some help. I've been trying so hard to make a decision. I've read and read and read your wonderful and informative posts, but I just need some good ol' fashioned advice.

I'm a new pilot with a Slow Stick that I've flown many times. I fly it with a VERY beginner-like JR S400 Radio. I can fly it just fine without crashing. I obviously don't have much in the way of inventory. (I'm sure you all know, but this hobby adds up fast! $$ )

Bottom line is I want to purchase a 4 channel plane with stable features and the ability to fly a bit slower to ease the landings, etc. I've looked at MANY planes and have come to decide between the Airfield Sky Trainer ($150), as you have all talked about (Thanks again), and the Flyzone Sensei Rx-R ($179 + battery). I would plan on putting my 4 Channel JR Radio in the Sensei and hopefully in the not so near future--due to limited finances (We've only been married 6 months--woo!)--pick up a Spektrum DX6i or DX7.

Thoughts? How stable and easy to fly has the Airfield Sky Trainer been? I understand the landing gear mod--I would get that completed for sure. But, if you were in my shoes, and not purchasing a new 2.4Ghz radio system soon, what would you do?

Sensei or Sky Trainer??? I've heard great about both, but being a new pilot... I just want some help. I've been told this site is the best for help, and I can only hope that's true! Thanks again for all of your willingness to help. Keep smilin' and happy flying! I look forward to your replies.
biphfyt is offline Find More Posts by biphfyt
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:54 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,423 Posts
My two cents....when I bought the Skytrainer, I had about 6 or 7 flights on a Parkzone UM Mustang and 2 flights (one crash) on a Parkzone Stinson, all after several hours on a sim. I have only 6 (or is it 7?) flights on the Skytrainer with no crashes so far (crosses fingers and spits). It is a nice flying airplane. I am using a DX-7.

To tell you the truth, I think the FMS 1400mm Zero is even easier to fly and lands like it's on a cushion.
CarToon is offline Find More Posts by CarToon
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Oct 2006
55 Posts
CarToon,

Thank you so much for your timely reply. This website really is quite amazing... I'm leaning towards the Sensei, with all of the great things I've heard, but how can you beat the price of the SkyTrainer?!

By the way, the stock radio that comes with the Sky Trainer... is it garbage?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:59 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biphfyt View Post
CarToon,

By the way, the stock radio that comes with the Sky Trainer... is it garbage?
Somebody else will have to answer that one. I have only used mostly Spektrum radios.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Oct 2006
55 Posts
I would love to find myself using a nice Spektrum Radio soon... I just don't have the cash--well, let me rephrase that. My wife won't let me use the cash to pick one up. Haha! I love her to pieces though.

Yet again, Sensei vs. Sky Trainer? Is the Sky Trainer able to fly quite slow? Or is it a much better flyer at a little bit quicker of a speed?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:35 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Hi Biphfyt,

You are at that point in the hobby where your radio is going to start making a BIG difference in what you can fly and how well you can fly it. So I would not recommend either of the planes you mentioned because your 4 channel radio is going to make them harder to fly and it is not going to allow your to use the flap features on the airplanes.

You would be FAR BETTER OFF to go ahead and get the Spektrum DX6i now and the Dynam Sky Trainer which is on sale at Nitroplanes for 71 bucks...

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...2-new-arf.html

That would make your total investment around 300, but it is well worth it. The extra 100 will get get you a great radio and a very good airplane

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Hi Biphfyt,

You are at that point in the hobby where your radio is going to start making a BIG difference in what you can fly and how well you can fly it. So I would not recommend either of the planes you mentioned because your 4 channel radio is going to make them harder to fly and it is not going to allow your to use the flap features on the airplanes.

You would be FAR BETTER OFF to go ahead and get the Spektrum DX6i now and the Dynam Sky Trainer which is on sale at Nitroplanes for 71 bucks...

That would make your total investment around 300, but it is well worth it. The extra 100 will get get you a great radio and a very good airplane

Wolfe
+1
But get the DX6i here in the classifieds.
I found mine for just $125 shipped.

And that Dynam Sky Trainer is a bit shorter, but a great plane to learn on.
The Sensei is good too, but I've only heard about it. A dude at our field has crashed his Sensei a few times while learning, so it's a tough call.

Good luck!
Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,423 Posts
You can also get a brand new DX6i from Amazon right now for $159.99, shipped.

Tell her she can treat herself to a pair or two of new shoes.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
biphfyt, another option for you might be the 4 ch brushless sky surfer from banana hobby. it is alot like the wild hawk only better. i have not personally flown the sky surfer but i started on the wild hawk and wouldn't have it any other way if i could do it again. i don't know if you have a simulator but if you don't, get one. nitroplanes sells one for $20. it is nothing special but it gets the job done. mastering a 4 ch plane on a $20 sim is alot cheaper ( and alot less frustrating) than spending your hard earned cash on a plane that you most likely will be repairing more than flying. a good radio is also a must in this hobby. apparrently this thread has the fix on where to get the dx6i for the least amount of money, i paid $200 for mine 3 years ago at my local hobby shop (damn it!). Just a thought
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
HELP!!! I have just assembled the Airfield Cessna Sky Trainer from NitroPlanes and am having issues with the controls. The Aileron and Elevator are both reacting to each others inputs. Additionally, the flaps are all out of proportion. The good thing is that the engine, rudder, and lights all seam to be working fine. I checked my wiring connection and re-did it 20 times already. I'm a beginner with r/c planes and I really wish this RTF were more RTF!! Thanks for the help!
tomgillotti is offline Find More Posts by tomgillotti
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
What radio are you using?

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biphfyt View Post
Alright my dear friends,

The LAST thing I'd like to do is pull this topic into a downward spiral of a tangent, but I've got to do it! I've read a wonderful amount and am looking for some help. I've been trying so hard to make a decision. I've read and read and read your wonderful and informative posts, but I just need some good ol' fashioned advice.

I'm a new pilot with a Slow Stick that I've flown many times. I fly it with a VERY beginner-like JR S400 Radio. I can fly it just fine without crashing. I obviously don't have much in the way of inventory. (I'm sure you all know, but this hobby adds up fast! $$ )

Bottom line is I want to purchase a 4 channel plane with stable features and the ability to fly a bit slower to ease the landings, etc. I've looked at MANY planes and have come to decide between the Airfield Sky Trainer ($150), as you have all talked about (Thanks again), and the Flyzone Sensei Rx-R ($179 + battery). I would plan on putting my 4 Channel JR Radio in the Sensei and hopefully in the not so near future--due to limited finances (We've only been married 6 months--woo!)--pick up a Spektrum DX6i or DX7.

Thoughts? How stable and easy to fly has the Airfield Sky Trainer been? I understand the landing gear mod--I would get that completed for sure. But, if you were in my shoes, and not purchasing a new 2.4Ghz radio system soon, what would you do?

Sensei or Sky Trainer??? I've heard great about both, but being a new pilot... I just want some help. I've been told this site is the best for help, and I can only hope that's true! Thanks again for all of your willingness to help. Keep smilin' and happy flying! I look forward to your replies.

I have many flights on a Sensei due to two of my students having them. The only negative is that the motor is totally un serviceable. So right away we cut off the nose at the mounting gear fire wall and added two 1/4" or one 1/2" laminated ply firewall attached with shoe goo. A total of 1/2" allows for the correct spinner placement. We then replaced the motor with the exact same as the Airfield Cessna 182 ( this thread" and the same 3 blade prop. The motor is an exact fit replacement to the original mount. Now the Sensei is a remarkable trainer and great for a first timer or someone with more experience who wants to do Aerobatics and just basic flight. It does want to float but if you power down on final and let it settle then just flair out for a perfect touch down.

With the mod we removed all of the factory nose weight and it balances perfectly. You can now fly the plane on 40% throttle all day and are able to power out of any mistakes. Flying it stock is crap and way under powered. However, will still make a good first or second plane. But with the mod it is really nice and able to take the wind or calm and would be much better than the 182 until your confidence and skills improve. My students also have this 182 but prefer the Sensei for landing and practice etc. The 182 in the right hands is really a nice all around daily aircraft. I have one of these that I use for testing equipment and is way over weight but still fly s great. I have a load of scale aircraft and aerobatic planes but I always take the 182 with me for just warming up. I will probably purchase another 182 when my test plane gets to smashed up from all the mods and testing. So 9 out of 10 for the Sensei with the mod and about the same for the 182 but only if quite proficient. Example.... confident in flying and landing.

Hope this helps you out. I have at least 200 plus flights on the AF 182 and about the same on the Sensei.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Last edited by acesimmer; Feb 28, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Hi Biphfyt,

Wolfe
I disagree with the Dynam sky Trainer over the AF 182. Unlike some of the Dynam aircraft the Sky Trainer is absolute garbage compared to the AF 182 or the Sensei. It does fly very nice and exhibits the same characteristics as the AF 182. However, the serviceability is very poor with really crap motor and other components. I have a third student who as one and we have nothing but problems with keeping it flying. I would definitely go with the AF trainer over the Dynam one any day no matter what the cost difference is. But like I said once it is in the air I would say they where equal in flight.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgillotti View Post
HELP!!! I have just assembled the Airfield Cessna Sky Trainer from NitroPlanes and am having issues with the controls. The Aileron and Elevator are both reacting to each others inputs. Additionally, the flaps are all out of proportion. The good thing is that the engine, rudder, and lights all seam to be working fine. I checked my wiring connection and re-did it 20 times already. I'm a beginner with r/c planes and I really wish this RTF were more RTF!! Thanks for the help!
Unfortunately, this really isn't a good plane for beginners. Esp seeing you purchased the deluxe flapped version instead of the simpler 4ch version. There is just too much going on and can easily overwhelm you.

My advice is to take it to a local flying field and have someone friendly look it for you. Preferably someone with a lot more flying experiance.

IMHO, none of scaleish cessna "Trainer" type models are good for beginners. Very little dihedral, relatively higher wing loading and added complexity.

I'm not familiar with the Airfield radio system so I can't help you with that but I'm sure someone will chime in. But judging from your 'symptoms', assuming you have the wiring connected properly, make sure you didn't inadvertly activated a preset mix switch on the radio.

Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168