HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:56 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,010 Posts
Of course the thread has gone quiet! I was out of the Country... But I am back now, and you won't believe what happened. The wings snapped!

Took my Son with me again and he wanted to do his "tricks" while I recover. After about minute and a half of flying he managed to do something. I am not sure exactly what it was. The Plane rolled extremely quickly. It was much quicker than the rolls that I do. My guess is that it was some sort of a snap roll and he moved the stick the other way before the roll completed. Like I said I am not sure completely.

Once I recovered his roll I noticed something weird right away even tough we were far and high. The Wing was flexing up and down a lot and the handling was weird. Then I saw that the leading edge of the wing was disconnected from the fuse (i.e. the plastic pin that hold the wing in place). The wing was "resting" on the fuse and flapping up an down.

I immediately killed the motor and made an emergency landing in the middle of the field. I couldn't believe I pulled it off. It was nothing short of a miracle.

When I got to the Plane, at first glance it seemed like it was just the leading edge pin that got disconnected so I went back to the Car to connect it again. Unfortunately, when I unscrewed the Wing I noticed something even more incredible. It was broken! It was literally only hanging by a tiny little piece of foam (see video below). Basically the only thing that was holding the wing is the Carbon wire, the servo wire, and that tiny little piece of EPO foam you see in the video. As you can see that the little "aerobatic" move also snapped the cross bar holder on the wing (that thin plastic extension the bar connects to).

Unfortunately, I don't have it on video. I hate this min-Cam. it is very iffy and seem to have a mind of its own. The one Video I would have wanted to see.

I thought it is going to be a major pain to fix but it was actually really easy. I will post pics later. It is raining here today and windy (17+ mph) so I couldn't take her out to test....

Needless to say my co-pilot is going to concentrate flying his box now...

Cessna 182 Wing Damage After mid-air Snap (0 min 16 sec)
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Sounds like your co-pilot might have done a "snap roll". Stick movement = sudden right and down. Plane pitches up and rolls violently.

You are lucky you got her down with wing about to come off.

Might be time to consider a more aerobatic plane for the co-pilot LOL

Windy here today too

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:31 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
288 Posts
Need an opinion on my new arf 182 cessna. I've had her for a couple months now about 90% ready to go. Still a while before this Michigan weather gets within reason.

The issue is the tail/vertical stab has a slight "bow". Will this cause flying problems? Or just a little trim might dial her in? Or should I attempt to straighten it out? If so, what would be the best way without destroying the tail?

Thanks in advance...
wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111
Last edited by wjb111; Feb 26, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:43 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Mine has a slight bow too - doesn't seem to affect flight much. I think yours will fly OK as is with a little trim adjustment.

If you want to straighten it out, heat up the foam with a hair dryer. Keep the hair dryer moving and not closer than a couple inches from the foam - that usually works.

Wolfe
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,010 Posts
Do you mean the tail or the vertical stabilizer? From the pics it looks like it may just be the vertical stabilizer? If so, some on this forum suggested to heat the foam with various methods to straighten parts out. I found that I can do so with very little constant pressure for a minute or two. I straightened both the vertical and the horizontal stabilizer without applying heat this way. Obviously just be careful becuase no heat + too much pressure = . The plane flew just fine before I straightened it (but with Trim of course). After I straightened it, I was able to take quite a bit of Trim off.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:02 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
crash pics

well here are the pics as promised. it is not bad, going to fix the wing using carbon strips and epoxy. I bent the prop shaft. shattered the wood firewall. crushed the cowl. nothing I havent repaired before. The only problem is that I have used all of my spare parts so I am waiting again. again no video and I crash.

Name: wing after crash.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 213.8 KB
Description: Name: cowl and prop.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 267.4 KB
Description:
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the parts you need. I hate bending prop shafts.

Wolfe
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:06 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,500 Posts
Hey SM, now you have another two hobbies!! Crashing and fixing the bumblebee!!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,549 Posts
The little plastic nubs on the LE of the wing are woefully short, and can pop out fairly easily, which is, apparently, what happened in that maneuver. I lengthened mine with a pair of short screws, with the heads ground down to a matching cylinder. You have to carefully drill the nubs so that turning the screws in doesn't crack them. Very little of the threads will actually bite into the plastic. I used epoxy to fill the portion of the threads which don't bite into the plastic, to increase the shear strength. I had a wing from a previously crashed 182, which had separated the same way in the crash while inverted, to practice with. I then deepened the matching holes, so the extended nubs would fit in and lock. Now, when/if the fuse bends under the wing, the nubs don't pop out.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb111 View Post
Need an opinion on my new arf 182 cessna. I've had her for a couple months now about 90% ready to go. Still a while before this Michigan weather gets within reason.

The issue is the tail/vertical stab has a slight "bow". Will this cause flying problems? Or just a little trim might dial her in? Or should I attempt to straighten it out? If so, what would be the best way without destroying the tail?

Thanks in advance...
I've been flying for 16 years and have had much worse warps, bends, and bows than that over the years. In every single case, I've been able to compensate adequately just by adjusting the TX trims. Of course, it can make that first flight a bit hairy until you get the trims adjusted for straight & level flight...

IMHO, I think you should try flying it before spending a lot of time trying to heat and twist things to compensate.

If you've not flown much, it might be a good plan to get an experienced guy to do the maiden flight. (And be sure to tell him about the "bow" you've discovered beforehand so that he doesn't have any unpleasant surprises on the maiden.)

Good luck with your plane!

-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,787 Posts
Looking at that vertical stab you wont have much of an issue at all. Probably two clicks of rudder trim would resolve it. Foamies will always change trim, flex and warp it little no matter what. The weather temp changes and sun can heat the foam on one side while leaving the other side cooler. EPO will expand very slightly to the warm side. Flying in the desert I get this all the time. Just a little re-trim then it seems to equalize in flight after a couple of minutes.

Regards aerobatics and issues. I snap roll this sucker all of the time. I also put it through aggressive rolls, spits, four points etc. The key is to keep the G's from loading up to much on entry and exits etc. This means fly smooth and all will be well.

The wing hold screws and base are a lousy design so I made a plastic plate that fastens across the wing center with holes drilled that helps spread the wing loading for the screws. The plate also helps keep the wing halves together.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,787 Posts
Just thought you may like to see what your Cessna sounds like with a sound system installed. These systems can be acquired from MrRCFlying on Youtube etc

Engine Sound Testing (1 min 56 sec)
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Interesting

Wolfe
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got in 2 more batteries on this one at the City Field just at dusk today. Wanted to see how the lights looked as it was getting dark. They look good, but I don't think they are enough to navigate by in a true dark situation. I would have trouble staying oriented I think.

The City Field is short grass and I had no real trouble with the landing gear, other than the nose wheel swiveled out of line a little, but it did that on the paved runway at the club too. Both landings were pretty good ones - she touched down easy with no bounce and the main LG touched down before the nose wheel, so that probably helped. She sure comes in to land nice with the flaps down.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 27, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
That sound system sounds great, I'd like to get it onto my 1/5 scale nieuport bipe.
BTW, 20% off coupon for Nitroplanes
Nitroplanes Coupon codes
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic