HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
i've scowered this thread, but i am wondering exactly what dubro parts would be necessary to upgrade the front landing gear? i am tired of landing in grass and having to bend the wheel back. oh also i really hope to keep the stock front wheel casing on. thanks a lot!
dabears720 is offline Find More Posts by dabears720
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,552 Posts
Here is what you need. You will have to bend the wire for the wheel. This fits right in the stock Cessna LG mount hole.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXD845&P=8
CarToon is offline Find More Posts by CarToon
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
i greatly appreciate your timely help! just ordered it with my amazon acount.

Mike
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
I got the Cessna out this morning for a few rounds of landing practice. First time in over 3 weeks it's seen the light of day and it's motor rebuild. But, I had a mishap on a roll out....breeze got up under the wing and rolled it onto it's right wheel and nose gear pushing the prop into the asphalt and cracked the motor mount.... So I melted it back together and made a lexan plate siliconed to the inside of the mount with the motor mount screws holding everything together....I really need to get some flat aluminum stock...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
i got this plane almost a year ago as my first plane. not a good first plane. i also cracked the motor mount on my maiden attempt. i let some gorilla glue soak through the cracks and now its as firm if not more than before. i've learned to fly it by moving up from the champ and dynam i can fly, and it's really a smooth fun plane. haven't had any other crashes so far.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:47 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Wow... this forum has slowed down a bit.

I'm a-waitin' on Stoopidmonkey's flight report after the big repair overhaul.

You guys got me all re-excited about my Sky Trainer 182 again. I pulled it off its shelf, blew the dust off, put on some bigger tires and flew it again for the 1st time in months.

I was really upset with myself for letting this great plane sit while I flew planes with only half as much power, fun, and classic design. (I mean, what's prettier on the deck or in the sky than a Cessna? Perhaps my red & white Dynam T-28 can barely come close to it!)

So I get into the 182 again and all of you great fellow 182 guys just vanish!??

I hope all is well with you guys and that WE ALL get some good flying weather soon!

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Maladroit,

The thread did quiet down. Been too windy for me to make a run down to the club to fly this one lately. Not looking good this weekend either - maybe Sunday late afternoon. We shall see.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
It flew great until I crashed it again, Trying to pull out of a flat spin. I am thinking I need a sport plane so I dont destroy my cessna doing things she shouldnt do. I will post pics on monday of the crashed plane.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:53 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
It flew great until I crashed it again, Trying to pull out of a flat spin. I am thinking I need a sport plane so I dont destroy my cessna doing things she shouldnt do. I will post pics on monday of the crashed plane.
Stoop,
This isn't your first plane is it?

When i had crashed my Cessna the 4th time, I fixed it and put it away for about 2-3 months while I got really comfortable with the Hobbyzone Super Cub. It really helped me get a handle on the handling characteristics of the larger span high-winger.

The day I finally took the Sky Trainer out of mothballs was a marker day in my progress as an RC pilot. I no longer got the shakes and sweats when I rolled the 182 down the runway.

So yeah man, if you keep crashing the big 55" Cessna, get a 40-50 inch high wing and have some fun. (The Super Cub is cool because parts are everywhere and fixing it takes mere minutes, so you might crash in the A.M. but you'll fly that evening.)

The Apprentice is also cool to learn on and so is the the slightly smaller Dynam Cessna or the iCanFly.

Good luck, bro!
Mac
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
No, it is not my First plane I just like to push things to the limits. This is not the plane to do that with LOL. All of my crashes could have been avoided, by flying the plane the way it is intended, it is when I try aerobatic manuvers too close to the ground is when I get into trouble
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:10 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
173 Posts
Funny how sometimes things go quiet on a certain bird. My new v4 Cessna 182 is waiting for decent weather. Out here in Oregon, we have had a lot of rain and wind. When its not wet, the wind is blowing too hard! Been hanging in the garage for 3 weeks now. I took it down today and double checked the control throws and CG.Everything checks out good so far.
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
When your cable company goes on the fritz, you get bored
When you get bored, you fly your Cessna too close to the ground
When you fly too close to the ground, you start feeling tricky
When you start feeling tricky, you crash your Cessna

Don't crash your Cessna

Get a grandson with a dog collar instead

Wolfe

PS: If you haven't seen the commercials, this won''t make a lot of sense LOL

Don't mean to make light of your crash, Stoop. I also push low to the ground sometimes - always a greater risk - but greater excitement too - something about it is attaractive
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 24, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
That's exactly what i experienced. only with the champ and dynam i can fly.

just got back from flying it at the park. a little breezy with gusts but the flaps really helped. im charging my packs for tommorow, supposed to be 4mph in the early morning. have any of you guys modified the front landing gear? i just ordered a dubro 234 front landing gear set. should help because im getting tired of bending the nose wheel back. happy flying.

Mike
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:18 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd View Post
Funny how sometimes things go quiet on a certain bird. My new v4 Cessna 182 is waiting for decent weather. Out here in Oregon, we have had a lot of rain and wind. When its not wet, the wind is blowing too hard! Been hanging in the garage for 3 weeks now. I took it down today and double checked the control throws and CG.Everything checks out good so far.
Are any of you guys storing your Cessna 182 in your garage in southern states?

I am running out of room in my closets and office hangars. I have a 3-car garage that has plenty of room near the ceiling where I could hang planes, but I'm really concerned about the heat.

Sometimes my garage gets over 100-degrees in the dead summer or unusually hot days in spring & fall.
Do you guys think the higher temperatures will harm the plane in any way? I'm thinking of warped foam, weakened foam at the control surface hinge points or even failing servos or rx components.

Any opinions?
It would really free-up some space if I could store my 182, Super Cub and a few other larger planes in the garage.

Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
When your cable company goes on the fritz, you get bored
When you get bored, you fly your Cessna too close to the ground
When you fly too close to the ground, you start feeling tricky
When you start feeling tricky, you crash your Cessna

Don't crash your Cessna

Get a grandson with a dog collar instead
HA HA HA! Good one!
...and don't wake up in a roadside ditch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zG5U0v3gU
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Feb 25, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Maladroit,

Thanks for posting the commercial

I store all of my planes in my garage and have for years - mostly on PVC racks. It hasn't seemed to damage anything. My airplanes are NOT allowed in the house for some reason LOL

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM.