HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I think I was on 85% low rates. Going up to 125% would no doubt make a big difference. I probably will be content to just use this one as a scale flyer and one to fly at dusk - couldn't do that tonight since the wing strut came loose. I will also really enjoy playing with the flaps, since I don't have a lot of experience with those. And she did really well in the wind, so I will use her on windy days.

Other than that, I will mostly use this one as a "Club Airplane" for the grand kids to use , and probably won't fly her myself too much once I get her dialed in really well.

However, if you want to use this airplane to get ready to make a jump to low wing warbirds, I think she can do the job. She is fast enough to duplicate the warbird speeds, and in that case, upping the throws to get the max performance out of this one makes a lot of sense. Landing this one without flaps will be very close to landing the warbirds since they tend to come in a little hotter.

Have you tried much inverted flight yet? Does she try to roll out of inverted?

Another thing I liked about this plane was that she carried the 3300 mah batteries with no trouble, so I was getting 10-12 minute flight times by going up twice for 5-6 minutes on the same battery

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 15, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
I bumped the throws on the ailerons, but didn't really see any major difference. SinceI started with warbirds and this my second plane, It is kinda ho-hum sometimes. I get my rise out of it by flying along on ground effect... But we have a new Cessna in the group now, so we'll practice formation flying with them. And now I have a Funcub.....

and I always limit my flights to 5 minutes each....I get lots of flying time on 3 batteries.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:46 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I am big on using a plane for what it was designed to do. I think the challenge on a scale flyer is to try to be very, very precise in what you do. That is never easy, no matter how much or what you have flown.

This airplane has pretty long wingspan. And since she is a high wing, she will never be great at aileron rolls. Just not what she was designed to do well. Still, she can teach you a lot in learning those.

Same thing with inverted flight. I am sure she can do it, but she doesn't really look like she SHOULD do it. On the other had, a low wing warbird looks like she ought to be inverted chasing the bad guys.

I think this one is a pretty good airplane. And I like that she flys so well in some wind. She is good enough to enjoy flying long after you are capable of flying something harder, if you can appreciate her for what she is.

I have recently started messing around with some 3D airplanes with the huge control surfaces set at 150% throw. They roll so fast it is hard to keep up with whether or not they are right side up or upside down. My WWI warbirds even seem to roll with agonizing slowness now. BUT, sometime I just want to relax and fly, and that is where the scale airplanes like this one always win out.

BTW, mine is fixed. Looks like the nose wheel just came loose. Seems to be working again now.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Have you tried much inverted flight yet? Does she try to roll out of inverted?

Another thing I liked about this plane was that she carried the 3300 mah batteries with no trouble, so I was getting 10-12 minute flight times by going up twice for 5-6 minutes on the same battery
Yes, no issue with Inverted flight. She doesn't try to roll out of it.

Right now I am getting 11 mins flights, with 20% left in, on a 3000mah battery, but I am also at WOT a lot for my rolls and loop experiments (she may not need it all - I am still playing with it). 11 mins flights at 50% to 60% throttle, I did finish at 50% to 40% (i.e. 3.85v) so if you are flying scale, I suspect you can get even more than 12 mins.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Ahhh. Good to know. I will flip her over next time out and see how she does. I was having too much fun experimenting with the flaps today to try that.

I would bet you could get about 15 minutes out of a 3300 just cruising around.

I would keep yours up high if you try to slow down on the loops. Mine was stalling and falling at the top of the loops if I went too slow. Wind could have had something to do with that.

Wolfe
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Come to think about it, I don't think I tried an outside loop. I wonder if she can do it. I better not snap the wings...

This is my first plane so please bare with me as I get excited by trying all these maneuvers which you would never try with the real version of this plane (or perhaps even the R/C one)....

If there is anything you think I should not try, please let me know... I would prefer not to learn the hard way...

I also wonder what the entry criteria into reinforcing the Plane if you do go crazy up there. I know some of you did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:25 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
If it is your first plane, then you should use her to learn everything you can. And you should be excited about every single new thing you learn to do. Don't apologize for it. I enjoy your enthusiasm.

My only concern on this plane is that you might tear out the wing strut anchors if you stress her too much. I did notice the wings bending (flexing) when I was doing high speed loops. And I did tear out one of the anchors. So keep a close eye on those and put some extra glue around them.

The only other thing I noticed on mine - and it was a bigger issue on the FMS -was a tendency to "snap" over with too much up elevator, so be careful about that. I would not run the elevator throw much more than 75% on this one. If you try more, try it up high so you have plenty of time to recover if she snaps on you.

The problem with "Snaps", is that they can happen when you are trying to level out when you are coming down fast because you lost control doing something else, and then you are headed down again. You have to train yourself to gradually pull out of a dive to avoid successive snaps that end up in a crash.

I would think that an outside loop is possible and would actually stress the wings less than an inside loop. What I don't know is if she would try to snap out of the bottom of the loop, so try it up high. You could roll her over from level flight and then try to do the outside loops from the bottom up. That would tell you a lot.

Another move that is useful is learning to roll out of the top of an inside loop if you haven't tried that. Very good for getting yourself out of corners by just reversing your direction.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,674 Posts
Yeah wing snap-no good. Seems oddly farmiliar...oh yes. I was flying my Balsa trainer last thursday, did a loop, as i always do, and then came the snap. I was at my park by thr baseball field, and there are aluminum bleachers, and there is a 1" deep dent in the bleachers! The plane nose dived right in to the bleachers....more peices than when a firework goes off! It like shattered! Obliterated!! The lipo ended up enderneath the pine tree...but luckily no fire!
I sure am hoping Great Planes will hold it under warranty. I wonder if I put I am 13 in there that will change their answer...
Alex
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Naw - tell them you are 93 and on your last leg so they better hurry up and send you a new one.

Good thing no one was sitting in the bleachers LOL. Sorry you lost the airplane.

Wolfe
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Sorry, Alex. Hopefully you have a few (or at least one) coming on your birthday?!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:08 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
good to hear that your flight went relatively well wolfe! The weather is still crap out here so I still have yet to fly mine after the repairs. I am really getting the itch it has been 2 weeks unheard of for me not to fly for that long.

Reading your review of the ver. 4 plane there must be some big difference because the ver. 1 sounds like has different tendancies, I guess I am going to have to buy the new version just so I will know for sure. The question is how to talk the wife into cutting loose with the card maybe I will get away with telling her I want to get her some Raiders memorilbilia online will work? I dont know so far every attempt to buy a new plane has failed. She says I am addicted to the hobby and I have a bad tendency to impulse buy (true) I think she is scared if I get another plane she will never see me home LOL. (also true) Oh well.... Time to go to noaa.gov and get accurate weather report for the rest of the week. If none of you have used noaa.gov it is the weather site we use at the fire dept. so we know how the wind is going to be what humidity will be what the clearing index is... every thing, also if the wind is going to change durring the day it will tell you about when you can expect it. I use it to forcast fire behavior durring wild fire season. check it out.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Here is another site that I use most - It has 48 hour, by the hour, forecasts - pretty accurate most of the time.

http://www.findlocalweather.com/by_t...learwater.html

Two weeks is a long time - you do need a FIX

Don't know how much difference there is in the versions. Keep in mind that I only got the air frame and put in my own electronics, so not sure how they actually compare to the factory stuff. Also, I am using a 2 bladed prop.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:11 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Here is another site that I use most - It has 48 hour, by the hour, forecasts - pretty accurate most of the time.

http://www.findlocalweather.com/by_t...learwater.html

Two weeks is a long time - you do need a FIX

Don't know how much difference there is in the versions. Keep in mind that I only got the air frame and put in my own electronics, so not sure how they actually compare to the factory stuff. Also, I am using a 2 bladed prop.
I have allways used a 2 bladed prop, I like the APC 12x8E prop. the version I have comes with a 2 blade 12x9. When I find the right retracts that will work for this planne I will be trying 4 blade props just for ground clearance some where around a 10x8-4 is what I think will work, according to research I have done but I will be trying others just to see what gives me the best bang for the least use of power.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:19 AM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
BTW, mine is fixed. Looks like the nose wheel just came loose. Seems to be working again now.
Something you might want to check out:

When I built mine, I had to file a good 1/16" off the upper end of the nose gear wire to allow the flat to line up properly with the set screw hole before the wire bottomed out in the sleeve.

I also replaced the stock grub screw with a button head cap screw with a 2mm socket that I could really crank on. The socket on the stock screw rounded out before I had the slightest bit of torque on it due to poor fit of the supplied wrench combined with super-soft screw material (aluminum maybe?).
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
i will check that - ty for the tip

Wolfe