SWEEEEEET Wolf soot some pics or vid!
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Will try to get pics or videos for you guys.

My set up will be as follows....

Fuse Servos - rudder/nose wheel & elevator = Tower Pro MG 90,s (Heads Up)
Wing Servos - flaps and ailerons - TP 9 grams (Heads Up)
Motor - Power Up 15 Sport http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Sport/Detail Heads Up
Prop - APC 11x5.5E
Battery - 3300 mah 3s (Value hobbies)
ESC - Turnigy Trust 55 amp sbec ( Hobby King)
TX Spectrum DX7s
Receiver - Spectrum AR 600

Flaps will be set at 30% and 60% to start (DX7s has dual position flap switch)

I did have to trim off the z bend in the elevator push rod and make a new bend - rod was way too long

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Fuse servos are installed now with rudder and elevator centered.

Really just have to solder the and install the right ESC and I should be done. Am using a different esc to set it up.

All the lights seem to be working - never had lights before - pretty cool

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:41 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Ok - mine is done and ready for maiden. CG is just in front of the wiring slot under the wing - is that about right?

Maiden will be later this week as soon as the winds cooperate.

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Ok - mine is done and ready for maiden. CG is just in front of the wiring slot under the wing - is that about right?

Maiden will be later this week as soon as the winds cooperate.

Wolfe
It should be in the center of the wire slot 60mm I beleive, I lost my instruction sheet.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
OK - Thanks

I am close enough to make adjustments with the battery placement then

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:19 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Another thought after building this one. The clevis pins ( I think that is the right name - the clips that attach the push rods to the control horns) did not come with plastic rings to secure the clips closed after you snap them shut. You can make those by cutting about an 1/8 inch off the end of fuel tubing - or any clear plastic flex tubing. If you don't have these on your airplanes you are risking the clevis pin coming apart in flight and the push rod coming loose from the control horn.

These are easy to make and put on after the fact. Just unhook the clevis from the control horn and slide the "O" ring over it, then re-attach the clevis and slide the"O" ring back over the clevis so the 2 halves can't come part.

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
FYI fellas,
14% off coupon up
Nitroplanes coupon codes
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
FYI fellas,
14% off coupon up
Nitroplanes coupon codes
Only on orders of 99 and up.
gilat001 is offline Find More Posts by gilat001
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Had a little run-in with a crop duster yesterday. I had to flip the 182 outa the way when an Air Tractor came over the trees unannounced at 30 feet high. I was heading right at him.

Anyway, this vid starts with my UM T-28, but the last segment is my green Airfield 182 (V.4).

Obscenity alert!
In the last minute, when I land my Cessna, one of the rear wheels splits and binds against the wheel skirt housing. This coaused my 182 to jump and spin on the pavement.
I was confused, so I uttered the "Eff word," so be careful where you watch this?

I removed the rear wheel pants and put on 1/2" larger wheels. It looks like a bush plane now. I'll do some video if time permits.

Sorry about the limited Cessna footage, but I landed it quickly after the Air Tractor spooked me.

Day of the Air Tractor (4 min 36 sec)
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
FMS sky trainer 182: airleron, flap and rudder horn hole?

I just finished building a FMS sky trainer 182 ver 4 RTF.
1. I am wondering what elevator and rudder horn holes I should put the linkage in and how many degrees of deflection I should aim for.

2. Also, the same for the ailerons: what holes for the servo, and for the aileron horn and how many degrees of deflection should I aim for?

3. When you mount the horn back plate, do you have the projections (where the screws go through) up or down (into the foam)?

4. What is the best location for the Rx and what is the best position for the antenna?

5. What is the best position for the ESC? Note: I have my battery as far forward as possibel to get the correct 60 mm CG.

Many thanks,
Paul
paul8 is offline Find More Posts by paul8
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
Thank you arnav! you have mail. My champ is a little beat but everything works good do you want it? or some of the parts out of it?
I sent you the receiver this AM via USPS Priority Mail (becuase nothing is worse then waiting for R/C staff in the mail ). I sent you the tracking number via PM. Lets see how long it takes to make it across the 2100 miles....

Thanks for the Champ offer. I may take you up on that. I haven't decided what I want for him yet. Maybe I'il get lucky again and score another $50 SkyTrainer on Craiglist.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Mal!
Do you know the guy flying the sky tractor? was he dusting a field near by? why was he buzzing you guys like that? was he trying to hit or get hit by a rc plane? That was probably the most ignorant thing I have seen a pilot do.
Cool video though, I can not wait until the weather breaks so I can get my rotten banana back up again.
Last edited by stoopidmonkey; Feb 15, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I adjusted my control rods to give me the most travel allowed by the hinges.

I mounted the plates with the bumps in.

Rx goes wherever you can fit it. I put mine in front of the hatch for the rear servos. pics are earlier in this thread. I ran my antenna along the fuse pointing towards the rear.

My ESC had to go near the front off to the side in the battery bay.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:34 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Another thought after building this one. The clevis pins ( I think that is the right name - the clips that attach the push rods to the control horns) did not come with plastic rings to secure the clips closed after you snap them shut. You can make those by cutting about an 1/8 inch off the end of fuel tubing - or any clear plastic flex tubing. If you don't have these on your airplanes you are risking the clevis pin coming apart in flight and the push rod coming loose from the control horn.

These are easy to make and put on after the fact. Just unhook the clevis from the control horn and slide the "O" ring over it, then re-attach the clevis and slide the"O" ring back over the clevis so the 2 halves can't come part.

Wolfe
I would recommend taking it a step further. Go ahead and replace all the stock clevises. 2 out of the 4 clevises on mine gave way (luckily not in the air). The pin broke. The controls have complete freedom so it is not like they were hitting anything.
I strongly suggest inspecting your OOTB clevises after 20 to 30 flights. Those clevises that didn't brake showed clear signs of stress (i.e. they changed color to a white distressed plastic in specific areas).
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member