SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,667 Posts
I did not reverse my throttle, but my esc did. It was different than any of my pther escs. Yeah that wasnt good.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,698 Posts
You guys are on fire. I was cracking up at some of the responses, tough I am sure those who got hurt didn't find it funny at all. I wish I had a good story to go along with the question but I don't. I didn't get hurt and the Plane didn't really fly backwards. I was clamping it between my two feet when it went WOT. What does bother me the the following:
  • The ESC Instructions are actually pretty good (Exceed Proton 40A) and are actually written in proper English (vs. Chineseglish). Knowing this situation can occur why can't they say:
    - If your prop spins the wrong way, change the order of any two wires between the ESC and the motor. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you attempt to resolve the situation by reversing the throttle. Doing so will blah blah blah... It is a lawsuit waiting to happen...
  • Why color code two of the wires red and black which seems to suggest polarity? Either don't color code them at all or pick any other color that are not associated with polarity.
  • Myself and many others on the thread really like Spektrum's throttle override. The instructions specifically say "this switch takes authority over all other switches." You would think the throttle override would protect you in this use case. WRONG! FYI it also doesn't override if the throttle sub trim is changed. I may raise a support ticket with Spektrum as I am curious to see what they have to say in their defence. In this case as well I would have expected the instructions to say "this switch takes authority over all other switches. HOWEVER, it would not override when the throttle is reversed or its sub-trim changed as those technically are not switches..."

I guess it is my fault, stop read those instructions just like everyone else...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:59 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Never switch the neg and positive wires between the battery and esc. Not that I needed to point that out.

You said switch the neg and positive between the motor and esc. Do you have 2 or 3 wires between the motor and esc? With brushless motors there really isn't a neg and positive. Just the 3 feed wires and like others have pointed out you can switch any 2 of them to reverse. Doesn't matter which ones.
Good attention to details! Thanks. You are right. I have 3 wires. I assumed that since two were color coded black and red that they must be +/-. I need to educate myself as to how those motors work. I guess at the end of the day you do need +/- going in, so I am completely at awe at the fact the order doesn't matter (i.e. so what is the 3rd wire for).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Good attention to details! Thanks. You are right. I have 3 wires. I assumed that since two were color coded black and red that they must be +/-. I need to educate myself as to how those motors work. I guess at the end of the day you do need +/- going in, so I am completely at awe at the fact the order doesn't matter (i.e. so what is the 3rd wire for).
A brushless motor is a 3-phase AC motor, and the ESC converts the DC input to the three phases. A 3-phase AC motor's direction is controlled by the order of the phases, so reversing two wires reverses the order of the phases.
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,698 Posts
Thanks. I never got to show you what my FW look like so when removing the cowl to change the ESC I took some pics. From what I have seen in this thread, I think it is on the more extensive side . You will have to read through previous posts to see why, but basically the part forward of the firewall was completely cut and glues poorly back on by the previous owner. There was no point to put it back on as it didn't provide any structural integrity. If the landing gear or FW goes now, it takes the whole fuse with it...

I actually wish i didn't use the original firewall as a template. as you can see the lower holes don't align with the opening. They should be at least 1/4" on the inch higher. It is harder to see when foam is in tact. Airfield design flaw?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Repair update

I finished my wing repair/ root support today! It was time consuming but it came out perfect. I have the templates for the wing supports I built if any of you want them.
Here are the pics.

Name: wing root halves.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 245.0 KB
Description: Name: wings before epoxy.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 225.0 KB
Description: Name: wings with braces.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 225.7 KB
Description: Name: flush fit.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 228.7 KB
Description: Name: all good.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 294.5 KB
Description: Name: back where they belong.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 173.2 KB
Description:
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
I finished my wing repair/ root support today! It was time consuming but it came out perfect. I have the templates for the wing supports I built if any of you want them.
Here are the pics.

Attachment 4625855 Attachment 4625856 Attachment 4625857 Attachment 4625858 Attachment 4625859 Attachment 4625860

Gotta hand it to ya S.M. You are the "Repair Master"

Mmmm. Maybe that should be your new nickname.....

Get a vid of the remaiden.
wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:26 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
You guys are on fire. I was cracking up at some of the responses, tough I am sure those who got hurt didn't find it funny at all. I wish I had a good story to go along with the question but I don't. I didn't get hurt and the Plane didn't really fly backwards. I was clamping it between my two feet when it went WOT. What does bother me the the following:
  • The ESC Instructions are actually pretty good (Exceed Proton 40A) and are actually written in proper English (vs. Chineseglish). Knowing this situation can occur why can't they say:
    - If your prop spins the wrong way, change the order of any two wires between the ESC and the motor. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you attempt to resolve the situation by reversing the throttle. Doing so will blah blah blah... It is a lawsuit waiting to happen...
  • Why color code two of the wires red and black which seems to suggest polarity? Either don't color code them at all or pick any other color that are not associated with polarity.
  • Myself and many others on the thread really like Spektrum's throttle override. The instructions specifically say "this switch takes authority over all other switches." You would think the throttle override would protect you in this use case. WRONG! FYI it also doesn't override if the throttle sub trim is changed. I may raise a support ticket with Spektrum as I am curious to see what they have to say in their defence. In this case as well I would have expected the instructions to say "this switch takes authority over all other switches. HOWEVER, it would not override when the throttle is reversed or its sub-trim changed as those technically are not switches..."

I guess it is my fault, stop read those instructions just like everyone else...
#1 rule when working with your radio and a live plane is take the propeller off. If you don't want to do that then disconnect one of the motor wires. Also, the wires aren't color coded. I have motors that are all black wires, some that are yellow black and blue etc.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,140 Posts
^^^ yea that! My Jug attacked me one day. all becasue I didn't back out enough steps. hit enter and bam! Yellow streaks on my red Addidas's are a nice reminder...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Is the nose gear on the airfield and the FMS the same? I heard one was stronger at some point. Gonna be purchasing in the next month. The airfield looks nicer though.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Is the nose gear on the airfield and the FMS the same? I heard one was stronger at some point. Gonna be purchasing in the next month. The airfield looks nicer though.
Yes they are the same. FYI they are the same plane.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
#1 rule when working with your radio and a live plane is take the propeller off. If you don't want to do that then disconnect one of the motor wires. Also, the wires aren't color coded. I have motors that are all black wires, some that are yellow black and blue etc.
Agreed. The prop was off when I was working on it. This was after she was all put together and ready to go where the only thing left is to verity that the prop is going in the right direction (and it wasn't). It was hard to verify just with the shaft on. this is also why I found out when I was standing over it as if I was in the field. So while no danger was involved, it would have been nice if the instructions prepared you for it, and the controls you thought your radio have would work as you expected them to...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Feb 11, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Here are the pics.
Looks great!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Yes they are the same. FYI they are the same plane.
I know there the same but be darned if i can rememeber where i heard that the nose gear was stronger on the fms. Being from Canada i'll probably get the fms from snhobbies. Just have to mod it when i get the kit.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
NEVER reverse a throttle. I got 13 stitches when I did that by mistake and an airplane prop climbed up my arm.
I found out mine was reversed the same way...the prop cut two fingers down to the bone. It hurt like crazy!
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount