HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:52 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex DG600 (original version)

I picked up this nice model from a well known online auction site earlier this week (must stop browsing on there!! ) and thought I would post some photos/details of it here.

I was not sure from the long-distance advert photos what it was exactly but by a process of elimination and asking the seller a few questions I guessed that it was the original version of the Multiplex DG600 so I went for it.

As I could find very little on this model on the internet (but quite a bit on the current Graupner Tangent version though) I thought I would post a few useful bits and pieces. I think this is the version that is being 'DS'd to destruction on YouTube! Nice to see what the wings can take although the end is painful to watch!

I don't know when this kit was produced or stopped production (late 80s, mid 90s?), perhaps someone knows? How scale it is I don't know but it looks like a DG600 to me!!

The PDF instructions are available online in the Multiplex archive, very useful.

This DG600 has no flaps, unlike the current version, and comes with exchangeable wingtips to vary the span between 3.16 and 3.5 metres. Ailerons and airbrakes are driven by fuselage mounted servos with an option for a second aileron servo for differential/camber change function (yes, I know this is not how it's done now!!).

The wing joiner is steel blades and Multiplex box system with a clamp screw.

The weight of this particular model is 2380 g (5lb 3 oz) which seems well under the instruction weight of 2,900 g (6lb 4oz). The wings weigh 610 g each (1lb 4 oz), good!

It came ready to fly with a 35 mhz receiver, I have converted it to 2.4 using an AR6200 and taken some nose weight out to establish a base balance point at the joiner blades (as suggested in the instructions). No winch hook or aerotow release is installed.

Please feel free to chime in with any info/experience with this glider, photos as well if you have them.

Looking forward to committing aviation with it but I want a slope with a nice soft landing area, don't want to break it (not like the guy in the video)!!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:06 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
Looks like you got a nice one there! Well done. Looking forward to seeing flying pics.

S

PS Why is it I never catch these things on that 'well known auction site'? Grrr
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:36 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
Cheers! Look under 'sailplanes' in the 'radio-controlled' category instead of 'gliders'. T'is a secret though, don't tell anybody!!

I am very pleased with it, you always take a chance with unseen second hand stuff and I have been fairly lucky so far. It has flown five times according to the previous owner, the history before that he didn't know.

The wing covering is nice and tight, no damage anywhere on the glider that I can see. There might be some small gel coat cracks under the paint of no importance. Whoever built it did a nice job, if I was ultra picky the front of the canopy does not quite line up with the fuselage in side view at the nose leaving a small gap but I would have no doubt struggled to get this right myself.

I've added some fuel tube rings to the clevises to secure them better against disconnection, glider folk don't seem to do this, doesn't hurt and makes me feel better at least (part of the Air Navigation Order bit that says you have to do all you can to ensure safe flight of an aircraft, model or otherwise).

I can't work out why it is so much lighter than the instructions suggest, they might be allowing for glassed wings.

I have been working on restoring a Multiplex ASW 22 but it looks as if this one will fly first. Just need to persuade Mrs B to carry one or the other up the slope for me!

GB
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:17 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,773 Posts
Gary,
The original MPX-600 started a lot of pilot towards the scale slope scene back in the late 80's. I recommended it to a number of people who successfully built and flew that original version. The wings could have used a little stiffening up, but I never saw a wing failure, even while being flown by some aggressive fliers (except of course that infamous youtube vid).

I recently assembled a 600 EVO Carbon Master Edition Which had been sitting in the box for 6 years. A lot has changed. The 18 meter wings look really nice, plus they are very stiff. All servos are in the wing with floating wing joiner system. The canopy is no longer 80's blue , rather the a smoke tint (but the canopy tray is a B to put together and fit). Overall a huge improvement in design, construction and prefabrication. I haven't flown mine yet, as I'm waiting for the weather to change. Best of luck with your DG.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:47 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
Cheers, that looks very nice. I have been looking at the Tangent range recently, I'm slightly put off by the instructions, they don't seem to match the high quality of the kits. I think others have commented on it. Sort of missing the 'finishing touch', and unusual for a German product. At the price they are (525 over here for the 'Carbon Master Edition' DG600) I would like to see some more diagrams/pictures, possibly on an included CD. Graupner would probably argue that these things are not for beginners, fair point I suppose.

Getting one of those would be a fair investment on a family budget, adding on the cost of digital servos that appear to be needed, one day though...!!

I worry about the risk of damage from gusty slope landings, I usually don't breathe during the final approach with these larger gliders! I guess there comes a day when you can breathe all the time!

Aerotowing might be a less stressful option but the very first model tow that I ever witnessed resulted in both tug and glider biting the dust, it has scarred me for life!! I'm going to give it a go soon with a disposable glider, should be an interesting experience as I can do it with the full-size ones at both ends!

Was there a plan sheet with this kit originally? Just curious, as things like the control throws seem to be missing from the instructions and it looks like the tailplane had to be built over a plan.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:20 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,469 Posts
Gary
Aerotowing is not difficult, although it is a bit of a different technique from full size. What you are trying to achieve is the same though. I have a 3m span model that's great for trying it out if you want a practice session. Also have tug and a couple of tow pilots if needed.
Vid shows the glider concerned on maiden flight.
aero_tow (0 min 22 sec)
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:36 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
Are you mad?!!

Wot? You want me to bust one of your own models?!!! Got a bit high on the tug there, I would have pulled the yellow handle at the other end!!

There's no putting it off I suppose. How long to the flyable weather do you think now? Six months?!!

The Centi Phase has not flown yet, another one waiting for a 2.4 Rx, it's an expensive process changing them all over but I'm getting there slowly.

What's that glider then?

Cheers

Gary
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Gary your going to love this model I owned my first 15 years ago and found she was a really sweet lady provided you ignore the C of G recommendations as they were always tail heavy but if you balance the model on the joiner, Then add the canopy the model will fly great. On my first one I fitted full span flapperons from root to tip and suddenly you have a totally different plane. The roll becomes crisper the climb improves to no end and with reflex be ones a guided missile!
So 15 years on I am building another complete with SLS and retract.
Aerotow or slope the model is at home
Enjoy your new pride and joy, you won't be disappointed.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:10 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
That's interesting, a slightly forward CofG then? I'd like to run the numbers through Sailplane Calc out of interest and see what it comes up with. I did take about 50 g of lead out of the nose but I am using a five cell AA Rx pack for 6 volts, it came without a battery. It's balancing slightly nose down on a couple of dots that a previous owner applied under the wings.

Looking closely at the dots though, one is 84 mm from the leading edge and the other is 71 mm! Need to sort that out before it flies. I've limited the elevator travel to 6 mm either way and dialled plenty of expo in, possibly too much.

Is that the new version you are going to build? This model seemed to have come and gone before the age of the Internet, quite rare to find info on it.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:30 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,469 Posts
On model aerotowing, high tow is good, due to the tugs hook position (sorta just aft of C of G) you cannot over pull with a nose hook glider.
Just don't try this full size in a K-18 as tuggy wont thank you. Helped clear up the Dunstable incident many years ago......still occasionally wake badly.
Afterwards also got involved with some tug testing in similar incidents, (photo plane pilot). Terrier took 900' to recover from tug upset with K-18 going winch fashion on tow.
You are more than welcome to try the Senior.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:42 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
They do low tow as standard in Oz, very strange!

Sailplane Calc says 86 mm for the DG600 CofG with its default stability margin so one of the dots was right!!

Thanks for the offer, must try and get over your way sometime.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Hi Gary no the one I am building now is the original, I stumbled upon an untouched kit buy accident.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Feb 05, 2011, 01:34 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
They do low tow as standard in Oz, very strange!

Sailplane Calc says 86 mm for the DG600 CofG with its default stability margin so one of the dots was right!!

Thanks for the offer, must try and get over your way sometime.
Gary,
The long wing version (EVO) is calling for a CG of 78 mm. For first flights I always go for slightly nose heavy than stated CG on all my planes, then trim as necessary. Elevator max calls for 6mm and longitudinal dihedral is 1.5 deg if interested.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:12 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
Hi Gary no the one I am building now is the original, I stumbled upon an untouched kit buy accident.
Even better! Would be very interested in seeing a build thread, especially what was in the box originally.

Good stuff on the CofG for the Evo, I must have misread the German instructions as I saw 100mm which can't be right.

The fuselage length of both versions seems to be the same so the tail moment arm should be the same as well. 78 mm sounds good to me.

As you say, better to have it a bit nose heavy to start with than tail heavy!!

GB
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:46 PM
Newcastle. Australia
Joined Jan 2004
548 Posts
Hi Gary

Had mine for about 18 plus years and it still flies very nice. The wing is pretty strong and it will do nice fast low passes with out issue.
Only ever aerotow my gliders now and the DG600 is a pussycat on tow.
Flew it 2 weeks ago, CG on the blade joiner, ailerons approx 20mmup/10to15mm down, elevator approx 10mm up/8mm down, change to suit your style,
all standard JR servo's and a 4 cell 1100 nicad pack.
Brakes are very effective, mixed with a little up elevator.
Only use the bigger tips, they are attached with the tip covering.
Very forgiving and a joy to fly.
Check out some towing vids here
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...thehoo00x&aq=f
PC55 is offline Find More Posts by PC55