SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
France
Joined Feb 2006
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauga View Post
AHA! Thanks for the suggestion! So far I've only checked the motor signal lines but GMFC can move the motors now. I'll check the heat signals and the timer this evening, but for now I know I can make up a cable to get the wire to move and use an external heat source if all else fails.

..and if anyone who knows my full-scale airplane-wiring woes is reading this, at least I had the right crimper and lots of D-sub pins on hand.

Nauga,
crossing his fingers and shufflin' his feet
Really good !!!

BTW, you don't need the timer signal since it's generated by the GGC.

Gilles
gm.cnc is offline Find More Posts by gm.cnc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:53 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
All four motors are turning, GGC is heating the wire. and it's connected to the motor interface using a standard parallel cable. The trick to getting it to work? I unplugged the heat control switches and pushbuttons from the motor interface heat control (HobbyCNC 4AUPCWHC). I'm not sure *why* that worked but it did so I'm happy.

Thanks for you help, Gilles.

Nauga,
who smells like burning foam
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Last edited by nauga; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: fixed part no.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:29 AM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,810 Posts
Hi Nauga & Gilles

I was camping and just now reading through all this. I want learn so if this ever happens again we can nip it much sooner. One of your posts states the Timer value before was 250, so that's a 4K Timer. It has been difficult to know which version of HCNC boards but that would imply it's one of the early boards which didn't have a Timer or Heat control.

HCNC came up with an add on board or boards ( I don't recall if one or two ) to supply the Timer and Heat nor if it just plugged in or soldered in. Sounds like in your last post you just unplugged at least the Heat Board and of which it sounds like when attached there was a conflict.

IF the above is correct, simply unplugging the add on board(s) solved it and that would be the recommendation if this happens again.

No one else with HCNC boards has had to do this that I know of, at least newer boards. The GGC just bypasses the Timer if it's onboard like a MM2001 or HCNC Foam Pro. The few Foam Pros where someone upgraded to a GGC, in most cases the Heat Section had failed hence the upgrade, so maybe if failed there's no conflict?????

Congrats anyway and enjoy the smell.
Dan
danfield is online now Find More Posts by danfield
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:38 AM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
376 Posts
Congratulations to Gilles. He has managed to write software that protects against the vaguaries of connecting to a range of different possible boards and gracefully dies rather than transmitting smoke producing currents. This is the sign of a good programmer. I am impressed Gilles.
emufingers is offline Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:48 AM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emufingers View Post
Congratulations to Gilles. He has managed to write software that protects against the vaguaries of connecting to a range of different possible boards and gracefully dies rather than transmitting smoke producing currents. This is the sign of a good programmer. I am impressed Gilles.
Agreed. There has been been a couple of issues of the GGC's having reversed wiring jobs as well and no smoke. I was impressed with those.

Dan
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:34 AM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfield View Post
One of your posts states the Timer value before was 250, so that's a 4K Timer. It has been difficult to know which version of HCNC boards but that would imply it's one of the early boards which didn't have a Timer or Heat control.
Dan,

It's a HobbyCNC 4AUPCWHC version 2 that's been running GMFC since 2006. The timer and heat control are onboard, it's not one of the add-ons. I had some (self-induced) problems with the heat early on, I'm wondering if there was an underlying problem all along that didn't really show itself until adding the GGC. I feel obligated to point out that the board and software have outlasted 2 PCs (I'll be getting a license for a 3rd in under 30 days)

And I agree with emufingers. I've cut a *lot* of wings and other stuff with GMFC. Gilles has always been helpful and responsive and the software works great.

Nauga,
and his endorsement rush
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:54 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
276 Posts
Quote:
All four motors are turning, GGC is heating the wire. and it's connected to the motor interface using a standard parallel cable. The trick to getting it to work? I unplugged the heat control switches and pushbuttons from the motor interface heat control (HobbyCNC 4AUPWHC). I'm not sure *why* that worked but it did so I'm happy.

Thanks for you help, Gilles.

Nauga,
who smells like burning foam
I am really glad it works now :-)

Gilles
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
811 Posts
HobbyCNC 4AUPWHC

If the timer starts with odd timing it is the timer going bad. And can not get a new 1. You will need the new HobbyCNC board.
I have a guy that will build this board for $100.00 and test it well worth it.
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
811 Posts
http://mikebeck.org/

Look up
http://mikebeck.org/
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:43 PM
Germany, NDS, Bockhorn
Joined Feb 2011
18 Posts
No driver for WIN 7 64 Bit available?

Hello!

Is a driver for the MM2001 for WIN 7 64 Bit available?

WIN 7 dont accept the driver which comes with the installer....
Paratwa is offline Find More Posts by Paratwa
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:37 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratwa View Post
Hello!

Is a driver for the MM2001 for WIN 7 64 Bit available?

WIN 7 dont accept the driver which comes with the installer....
No sorry, there is no 64bit driver at this time.

Gilles
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:38 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,810 Posts
If anyone is in Socal, namely near Fullerton. Gilles is in town and will be staying here Wed night. That's tomorrow Oct 3rd. If you want to meet him we can toss on some burgers or something. No operating Foam Cutter at the moment, still down with remodling.

If so,email me and I will advise an address.
danfield@roadrunner.com I don't do well with PM's , best direct.

Dan
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:27 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Should've posted this a while ago. All running smoothly now.

Nauga,
happy again
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,810 Posts
Quote:
Should've posted this a while ago. All running smoothly now.

Nauga,
happy again
Yes you should have and glad to see you are a Happy Camper once again.

Dan
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:25 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,810 Posts
Upon Gilles visit, I have a new stock order of GGCv2's and just in time as only one left.

I also can now offer a choice of a Blue or Green backlight LCD until supplies last.

Regards
Dan