HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:04 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnapola View Post
Thanks gilles! Maybe but....I can't understand why the bottom surface of the same wing panel at the same speed and the same heat (I haven't heat control on my board) is perfect. The waves are about 1 per second.... maybe because I'm using AC to feed the wire and this is causing resonance? Thie strange thing is that with other wing cores is all right with the same setup!
Do you start by the upper surface? going up requires just a little bit more heat...

Gilles
gm.cnc is offline Find More Posts by gm.cnc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
Italy, Lombardia, Brescia
Joined Dec 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm.cnc View Post
Do you start by the upper surface? going up requires just a little bit more heat...

Gilles
Mmmm...no, I always cut the bottom surface first... Can't really figure It out... I'll try with a different power source...DC this time, 50Hz AC could be the problem...
gregnapola is offline Find More Posts by gregnapola
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Mmmm...no, I always cut the bottom surface first... Can't really figure It out... I'll try with a different power source...DC this time, 50Hz AC could be the problem...
Maybe try starting by the upper surface and check if you have the problem at the same place.

Gilles
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:18 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
You should be on DC anyway but...

Bottom First is for Manual Cutting with Templates, you should be cutting the Top First.

ah, I see Gilles beat me to it.

I can't quite SEE what I want in the picture. What I can see the waves look rather straight, meaning not curved back in the middle and they're huge. By chance are you cutting in a thin block? That is the Top of the core very near the top of the block.

Also, what Foam Type?

Dan
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Last edited by danfield; Sep 21, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfield View Post
You should be on DC anyway but...

Bottom First is for Manual Cutting with Templates, you should be cutting the Top First.

ah, I see Gilles beat me to it.

I can't quite SEE what I want in the picture. What I can see the waves look rather straight, meaning not curved back in the middle and they're huge. By chance are you cutting in a thin block? That is the Top of the core very near the top of the block.

Also, what Foam Type?

Dan
Hi...I tried to cut the top first, then the waves appeared on the bottom surface!!!! for 2 times. Yes they're really HUGE (about 2 mm deep), straight, and it's not my CNC fault because each axis can makes things like this:

or this:

Taglio ala CNC (3 min 2 sec)

(please note it was a previous version, without anti-vibration blocks at the end of the main screws)

Foam is EPS foam , yellow, extruded polystyrene , 40mm thick
Last edited by gregnapola; Sep 22, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
Do you use a bow or a spring to power the wire?

The wire seem to appear on the surface that is cut in last. It looks like the wire gets colder in the end.

Gilles

Quote:
Hi...I tried to cut the top first, then the waves appeared on the bottom surface!!!! for 2 times. Yes they're really HUGE (about 2 mm deep), straight, and it's not my CNC fault because each axis can makes things like this:

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4C-fZ84Nmw

(please note it was a previous version, without anti-vibration blocks at the end of the main screws)

Foam is EPS foam , yellow, extruded polystyrene , 40mm thick
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:35 AM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts

The wire seem to appear on the surface that is cut in last. It looks like the wire gets colder in the end.

Gilles

I was wondering something similar. I watched the video and you have proven the machine can cut correctly. I notice you are using Mach3 so I assume your project software is G-code. It's very strange that as you say if you cut the top first the waves go to the bottom, or second half of cut either way.

I was wondering if your project was told to reduce heat, might try putting a volt meter across the wire and just run the project, no need to put up foam and see if it drops at any time but namely on the Bottom as you should be cutting the Top First always.

Reason is, for Template you cut the bottom first so the core will drop down the Bed, switch templates and cut the top.

With CNC you don't want the core to move at all so you cut the Top first and you have set up a Kerf allowance and since the core is tapered, a different Kerf for each side.

My problem is why the Waves are so deep and IF the wire is cooler and therefore dragging, the wave would be curved as the wire will bow dragging middle more, unless you run extreme wire tension maybe.

Have just run the Project without foam and just watch and listen. Can you see any vibrations or maybe even the wire being told to move up and down from the Gcode.

Just grasping at straws here hoping some weird idea will help find the issue.

Dan
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Dec 2011
75 Posts
Quote:

Gilles

I was wondering something similar. I watched the video and you have proven the machine can cut correctly. I notice you are using Mach3 so I assume your project software is G-code. It's very strange that as you say if you cut the top first the waves go to the bottom, or second half of cut either way.

I was wondering if your project was told to reduce heat, might try putting a volt meter across the wire and just run the project, no need to put up foam and see if it drops at any time but namely on the Bottom as you should be cutting the Top First always.

Reason is, for Template you cut the bottom first so the core will drop down the Bed, switch templates and cut the top.

With CNC you don't want the core to move at all so you cut the Top first and you have set up a Kerf allowance and since the core is tapered, a different Kerf for each side.

My problem is why the Waves are so deep and IF the wire is cooler and therefore dragging, the wave would be curved as the wire will bow dragging middle more, unless you run extreme wire tension maybe.

Have just run the Project without foam and just watch and listen. Can you see any vibrations or maybe even the wire being told to move up and down from the Gcode.

Just grasping at straws here hoping some weird idea will help find the issue.

Dan

Thank you very much Dan, I really appreciate your help! You're right about to cut TOP surface first, I was wrong when I said that I ALWAYS cut the bottom first....I was talking about the last tries I was doing to fix this issue. I don't want the core moving around while cutting

Here's what I did till now:

- chanced wire tension in both direction ---> nothing happened
- changed speed during cut to see the effects ---> waves get larger but no deep change (so I thougt it was a Y axis issue) but still remain
- remove the foam block during the program run, while the wire was making waves into the foam: ---> the wire had no vibration AT ALL in both vertical axis, but when I put again the foam on the table it started to making waves again THIS thing is really a nonsense!

The wire is powered by an other... wire ... it doesn't vibrate because it's taped on the wire support and during the cut it really doesn't move. In the next days I'll make a video of it , so you can see how it works...

Then I'll try to measure tension with a Voltmeter and see what happens...
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,824 Posts
- chanced wire tension in both direction ---> nothing happened
- changed speed during cut to see the effects ---> waves get larger but no deep change (so I thougt it was a Y axis issue) but still remain
- remove the foam block during the program run, while the wire was making waves into the foam: ---> the wire had no vibration AT ALL in both vertical axis, but when I put again the foam on the table it started to making waves again THIS thing is really a nonsense!

The wire is powered by an other... wire ... it doesn't vibrate because it's taped on the wire support and during the cut it really doesn't move. In the next days I'll make a video of it , so you can see how it works...

Then I'll try to measure tension with a Voltmeter and see what happens...[/QUOTE]

*** Sure, make a movie but this time don't speed up the movie. :-) I want to hear the motors for one.

Agreed this is nonsense. For Waves to be that bad on one side and switching sides is not a normal issue. Plus the waves look straight not curved and so deep. What about the depth of the wave, is that curved. That is deeper at the ends curved towards the middle.

Dan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
Michael K.
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Oct 2004
203 Posts
Windows 7 Install

There was a similar question in a previous post but the answer didn't help me so here's my trouble:

Can't get the mm2001 driver to load. it doesn't show up in the Windows device manager at all.

Configuration:
HP Compaq DC5700 Core2 Duo (with parallel port)
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
Hobby CNC Foam PRO 4-Axis Motor Driver (with heat control)

I've tried running and rerunning "driver_install mm2001.ini " from start menu, from command prompt. I've tried running with XP compatability turned on. Nothing seems to work. Can any help?
vol-haut is offline Find More Posts by vol-haut
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
825 Posts
in the hot wire interface use driver v2
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
Michael K.
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Oct 2004
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Matney View Post
in the hot wire interface use driver v2
That's what doesn't install; the hot wire interface.

I think that because I am using the parallel port I have to use Windows XP. I think Windows 7 only works with the USB interface.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
383 Posts
An idea

Quote:
-the wire had no vibration AT ALL in both vertical axis, but when I put again the foam on the table it started to making waves again THIS thing is really a nonsense!

Dan
It looks like the problem is related to the foam moving while the second cut is being made. The drela sections are very thin but also have more chord tham say a an elevator. I think that the thin section of foam above the wire is flexing during the second cut. This may or may not be aggravated by an AC wire with 50-60 cycle vibration.
So how could this be tested?
I think tthis is the way to go. Cut the top first and stop. Remover the upper shell and place a flexible weight like a bag of sand on the newly cut surface so that an even pressure is on the surface. Cut the bottom surface and see if the waves have improved. I know that you are using weigths outside the shell, but I suspect that the pressure is not being evenly distributed to the thin section and that it is actually flexing as it is cut.

How this helps. Would love to know what if anything changes.
emufingers is offline Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:36 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol-haut View Post
That's what doesn't install; the hot wire interface.

I think that because I am using the parallel port I have to use Windows XP. I think Windows 7 only works with the USB interface.
The parallel port driver works with windows 7.

Could you start cmd.exe and run the driver installation command. Please send me the error message. Don't forget to change directory to where the driver installation program is located. The shortcut in the start menu should tell you where the binaries are located.

Gilles
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
Michael K.
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Oct 2004
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm.cnc View Post
The parallel port driver works with windows 7.

Could you start cmd.exe and run the driver installation command. Please send me the error message. Don't forget to change directory to where the driver installation program is located. The shortcut in the start menu should tell you where the binaries are located.

Gilles
I open a command prompt window type "install_driver" and then another window opens, no time to read the message, and it closes again. No output at all from where I entered the command in the first place.

UPDATE: Just for the record I replaced the power supply and some leaking caps in my old PC running XP so now I have everything running again. I'll try Windows 7 again maybe someday, (or not). Thanks for the help anyway.
Last edited by vol-haut; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Update