Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Discussion
hydrogen fuel for RC airplanes

Hi, any one know if is possible use hydrogen fuel for RC airplanes ?
horizonfuelcell released this products for rc cars: http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/store/hcell.htm
H-CELL 2.0 hydrogen fuel cell power kit for hobby-grade RC racing........ (1 min 5 sec)

For example, for rc cars, it can work 1 hour over 50 mp/h
It would be great for UAV, somebody can explain how it works ? If it will work ?

Thanks
felipesalomao is offline Find More Posts by felipesalomao
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:41 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
That's cool! How much does the power system weigh though? I think that would be a limiting factor for airborne vehicles.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
I think that really have future.
look these link that i found researching more about these products:

AEROPAK new fuel cell power pack for mini-UAV (3 min 22 sec)

http://www.hes.sg/products.html#
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:54 AM
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Apr 2009
72 Posts
That sounds like a neat idea.... I think I saw little DIY hydrogen fuel cell kits with some retrofitted motors on a website a while back..

As a side note, it's great and all until you crash it when it has any amount of hydrogen stored on board and it ignites :P Then you're picking up alot of pieces over a large area
mrbrt is offline Find More Posts by mrbrt
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:19 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
here is a hydrogen powered rc helicopter

http://www.zimbio.com/Hydrogen+Energ...pter+Completes

Video:
http://www.utrc.utc.com/web_assets/v...=272&width=478
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:37 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
200W/400g is 3.33 times more energy dense than my 4000mAh 14.8v 4S1P 20C RC lipo. Wow.
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:02 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
the question is now how many amps can you pull out of the fuel cell. 200w @ 14.8V is only 13.5A your lipo can handle 80A.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:03 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrt View Post
That sounds like a neat idea.... I think I saw little DIY hydrogen fuel cell kits with some retrofitted motors on a website a while back..

As a side note, it's great and all until you crash it when it has any amount of hydrogen stored on board and it ignites :P Then you're picking up alot of pieces over a large area
Not true. There is no evidence that this thing is going to blow up... It may catch fire, just as a Lipo, or Glow, or gas might.

This idea that hydrogen is going to result in an explostion is just BS. If we had been using electric for the last 100 years, everyone would be all paranoid and worried about how carrying around Gasoline in a car or an airplane would be far to dangerous This kind of disinformaiton and paranoia is just a disservice to us all.

This is a really neat device, with time, it will get much smaller, with much better power output. The very first batteries were not practical in an airplane either, look where we are now. People should not be short sighted, this technology has the potential to change everything

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:25 AM
Just dog tired.
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felipesalomao View Post
I think that really have future.
look these link that i found researching more about these products:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Y2ovU3uVg
http://www.hes.sg/products.html#
Cool and all, but the pack is going to have to be an eighth of the size of the one pictured in the video if it's going to work for us here. That's still one darn big thing.
Wearyman is offline Find More Posts by Wearyman
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:09 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
For $600 I can design my own x3. Still a very cool idea that needs to be implemented....Everywhere!!!
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:10 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,100 Posts
Really interesting, but it still need some slim down to be practical for airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
200W/400g is 3.33 times more energy dense than my 4000mAh 14.8v 4S1P 20C RC lipo. Wow.
Actually your battery can deliver 4 x 20 x 14,8 = 1184W

So for similar weight your battery can deliver almost x6 the power of the H-cell, and your battery is far from being the most powerful lipo today

But as Mike said, these are the first steps of this technology, let it evolve some time
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
i think that its not correct, look hydrogen performance:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrésMtnez View Post
Really interesting, but it still need some slim down to be practical for airplanes

Actually your battery can deliver 4 x 20 x 14,8 = 1184W

So for similar weight your battery can deliver almost x6 the power of the H-cell, and your battery is far from being the most powerful lipo today

But as Mike said, these are the first steps of this technology, let it evolve some time
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:31 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,100 Posts
That graph is about endurance, not about the max power it can deliver, wich is its limiting factor Lipos had the same problem when they arrived, and now they can take more power than NiCd (45/90C!!!)

Quote:
The AEROPAKTM combines Horizon's aerospace grade fuel cell system with a proprietary chemical hydride fuel based hydrogen generator system. Effectively increasing the endurance by 300% to 400% over advanced lithium batteries currently in use opens new mission capabilities not previously possible for smaller UAS.
About power, 400 W/kg is not bad, actually it´s a value we could already use for airplanes, but it´s still far compared with the power a lipo can deliver. As they say, for UAVS where endurance is more important than total power they probably are a very good option, but for traditional RC/FPV flying they still need a little bit more punch.

But that´s to be compared with our setups, wich are totally overpowered. For a more realistic setup (slower climbouts) they could be used perfectly. The main problem is the size.
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Last edited by AndrésMtnez; Feb 05, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:59 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
Been discussed before:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372043

But the potential is so huge, I'm sure this topic will pop up again and again and again....

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:42 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
It's not 200W, it's 200Wh.
I've seen many people omitting the "h" because they don't understand what this means and think it's useless to mention it.
Wh is capacity, W is power and h is time.
With 1Wh you can theoretically deliver 1000000000W but only for a very short time.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09