HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2001, 01:33 AM
WI
Joined Oct 2001
18 Posts
Commercial Airliners

Does anyone own, or even know of someone with an airliner. I would love to see a mini dc-10, 777 or similar. How about planes with 4 fans? That must make some beautiful noise. I haven't been in this hobby very long, however I am surprised to find that no one else seems interested in passenger planes.

Thanks
Andy M
AndyM is offline Find More Posts by AndyM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2001, 02:25 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,352 Posts
Hi Andy,

look at this side, there you can find a Airbus
http://www.dangelmaier-dekor.de/airbus.html

greetings from vienna

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Oct 12, 2001, 09:05 AM
Wyandotte,MI
Joined Mar 2000
109 Posts
DC-8

Bob Pannell, a talented builder/flier in the Cincinnatti area, scratch built a DC-8 with 4 480 class fans. It is a large plane and features retracts. I took some pictures of the plane when it was flown at Muncie in June of this year, I could post them if anyone is interested.
rkane is offline Find More Posts by rkane
Old Oct 12, 2001, 03:02 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
I too admire commercial airline models, and they are around but they're certainly not a majority. Nonetheless, because of their smaller numbers and their unique appeal, they always draw onlookers, particularly if the model is big.

Here's a photo I took of Ed Putnam's BAe-146 (a discontinued Robbe kit) flying a few months ago outside of Reno, Nevada. The wing span is 1.8 meters and it's powered by four Robbe Rojet fan units, Power 410/12 motors and 16 cells. Ed added his own fowler flaps to assist with flying at Reno's high altitude.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Oct 12, 2001 at 03:06 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 05:57 PM
Wyandotte,MI
Joined Mar 2000
109 Posts
Bob Pannell's DC-8

Here are some pics of Bob's DC-8 . . . . ..
Old Oct 12, 2001, 06:01 PM
Wyandotte,MI
Joined Mar 2000
109 Posts
Bob Pannell's DC-8

And another one . . . . .
Old Oct 13, 2001, 12:18 AM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James Frolik
I too admire commercial airline models, and they are around but they're certainly not a majority. Nonetheless, because of their smaller numbers and their unique appeal, they always draw onlookers, particularly if the model is big.

Here's a photo I took of Ed Putnam's BAe-146 (a discontinued Robbe kit) flying a few months ago outside of Reno, Nevada. --SNIP--
Looks very sweet. I'm a big fan of this plane, if anyone has one of these kits still in the box and wants to part with it please email me at allen@silentflightonline.com

Thanks,
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
Old Oct 13, 2001, 01:08 AM
WI
Joined Oct 2001
18 Posts
Thanks for the pictures- those are some incredible planes! There is something about a detailed, fully functioning model of one of these giants that intrigues me. Especially when they are very scale, with dual wheels, retracts, and of course no props used in place of fans. And fowler flaps! WOW! I have never seen that done on a model before.

Too bad the BAe-146 kit isn't available. I would love to taxi it around my living room(one my favorite things about e-flight).

Maybe some day I'll have the ambition and finances to scratch build something like this!

Thanks again
Andy M
AndyM is offline Find More Posts by AndyM
Old Oct 13, 2001, 07:21 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,431 Posts
Hi James.
Ed sent me a video of his 146 I am amazed at how it flys for such a large machine with plenty of Grunt to spare and even glides well the part where he taxis it in at the end most impressive hard to tell from real thing.

Have only got to Feb next year to get mine ready for the E-rally up country Ed's Ideas will make doing it a lot quicker I can tell ya.

have a 146er outa the U.K. coming to stay in a few weeks so will be good to get down to the nuts and bolts.

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Oct 14, 2001, 11:58 AM
Central Lake, Mi. USA
Joined Jan 2001
263 Posts
Commercial Jets

How about a 707 with Led Zepplin logo on the side. Remember when? Ahhh those were the good old days. John Z.
John Zook is offline Find More Posts by John Zook
Old Oct 14, 2001, 12:55 PM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sluf7
Hi James.
Ed sent me a video of his 146 I am amazed at how it flys for such a large machine with plenty of Grunt to spare and even glides well the part where he taxis it in at the end most impressive hard to tell from real thing.

Sluf7
Do you have the ability to encode the video to RealVideo, Quicktime or other internet standard? I'd love to see it.

If you can't encode it and want to, I can do RealVideo if you want to send me the tape.
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
Old Oct 15, 2001, 08:27 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2001
62 Posts
I too am very interested in seeing more electric R/C commercial airliners. I have never built a R/C plane before, but I'm currently in the process of designing a 1/30th scale Boeing 777-200 (wingspan will be about 80"). It will be powered by twin 4" EDF units each outputting 2 lbs. of thrust. Originally I had considered using rechargeable Li-ion batteries as I often use them at work (I am a electrical engineer), but the power density is not as high as the latest NiMH cells, even though gravitmetric energy density of Li-ion cells is easily two times that of NiMH. I think I will go with the 3000 mAh NiMH cells for now.

An excellent place to learn more about R/C airliners is at www.edfmodel.com. They have pictures of an Airbus A320, B-757, BAe-146, and DC-8.
JoeyC is offline Find More Posts by JoeyC
Old Oct 15, 2001, 09:08 PM
too old to 3d
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Aug 2000
1,147 Posts
Yes, more heavy metal!!! I will be the first in line for a quality kit of an airliner with ROG capabilities.

Scott
Scott C is offline Find More Posts by Scott C
Old Oct 16, 2001, 09:18 AM
CMFC Secretary (UK)
Swindon, UK
Joined Oct 2000
309 Posts
Of course, I'd love to get a plan for a 707 - then I'd want to stick a dish on top and make it into an E3-D

That would give me something to fly my RAF Tornado in formation with....
BioHazard is offline Find More Posts by BioHazard
Old Oct 16, 2001, 01:39 PM
Tel-Aviv,Israel
Joined Apr 2001
457 Posts
I would love to get my first biz jet ! you start with small scale and grow all the way to full scale !

Avi
avie is offline Find More Posts by avie