HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:50 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
It's only a few bucks for a brand new lead. My concern is more with the actual soldering of the leads on to the board. I'm use to soldering 10 gauge wire, not what looks to be 10 000 gauge wire on to the smallest contact pads.
It really is a simple job. You'll find it's happened to lots of guys because the wire gets worked back and forth every time you change batteries. Just make sure you tin both the board and wires with a little bit of extra solder, then you all you need to do is hold the wire to the point and touch the soldering iron on for 1 or 2 seconds.

If you want a challenge, try the brushless ESC conversion kit that requires you to solder a couple of wires onto the legs of the surface mount chips. That was fun.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:25 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Why not go s little bigger with the wires? I soldered mine into the back of the board and that was easy to do.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:39 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
I'll be trying it with in a week or so. Need to pick up flux, any suggestions such as brand ect.

Bigger as in longer? This is what I will be doing. Brushless would be cool, but my confidence in small chip soldering is 0 right now.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
HI I already created a thread not realising here would be better i have a question.
I've damaged my poor little MCPX v2 to the point where I think it will be written off (alas salvaged for parts).

Last crash seemed to just put the killer blow on the (already weakened) parts. Tail boom, servos, landing skids, canopy, main frame (canopy holders) and god knows what more are wrecked.

My question is - I am probably going to buy another MCPX. Am I as well off save a few pound and swap my MCPX v2 board (which I assume is fine) onto the MCPX v1.

Can I do this? And is this the only difference between the v1 and v2? I loved the v2. I've learnt so much on it. So I would like to have it again but can save about $50 by going with v1 as oppose to v2 (maybe this isn't worth it but if only difference is the 3 in 1 then I already have one of these no point wasting it)..
thanks for any advice.
aussiefly is offline Find More Posts by aussiefly
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:36 AM
REYNALDO
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Dec 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiefly View Post
HI I already created a thread not realising here would be better i have a question.
I've damaged my poor little MCPX v2 to the point where I think it will be written off (alas salvaged for parts).

Last crash seemed to just put the killer blow on the (already weakened) parts. Tail boom, servos, landing skids, canopy, main frame (canopy holders) and god knows what more are wrecked.

My question is - I am probably going to buy another MCPX. Am I as well off save a few pound and swap my MCPX v2 board (which I assume is fine) onto the MCPX v1.

Can I do this? And is this the only difference between the v1 and v2? I loved the v2. I've learnt so much on it. So I would like to have it again but can save about $50 by going with v1 as oppose to v2 (maybe this isn't worth it but if only difference is the 3 in 1 then I already have one of these no point wasting it)..
thanks for any advice.
if you mastered the orientation i bet the 130X is better, more stable and easy to recover on to the air, my full advice to you is just go a little moves on the stick of your tx., buying another mcpx is just on option coz this heli is too small and more responsive
rynldgalano is offline Find More Posts by rynldgalano
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:54 PM
Activist
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
V2 mCPX

Yes, I think you should get another mCPX.

You already know how durable it is. Use the V2 board and sell the V1 board to someone who wants to go BL. $40-45.
daveapplemotor is offline Find More Posts by daveapplemotor
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:59 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
I'll be trying it with in a week or so. Need to pick up flux, any suggestions such as brand ect.

Bigger as in longer? This is what I will be doing. Brushless would be cool, but my confidence in small chip soldering is 0 right now.
No bigger in diameter but longer us also good.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:02 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
I didn't use a larger diameter, mainly since I used the stock wire charge lead with the one end cut off.

I used an extra 3/8" of length in addition to the stock length to give me much more plug in room. Also picked up 300 size lipo since the old ones are only putting back in 160mAh of 200mAh. I don't know what stock power feels like. Even with the new battery, pulling hard out of a hover is not really all that snappy.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:47 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Test flew the mCPX today after installing the new Feathering Shaft. Back to smoother flying again.

Got it posted for sale in the Classifieds....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747822

mCPX Demo Vid 10-08-2012 (3 min 24 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:41 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
I have a very annoying problem with my mCP X v1. After plugging in my battery, like I've done hundreds of times before, (making sure - to -, + to +), I immediately smelled a burning scent. I quickly unplugged the battery. The board was smoking. This was a battery I have used before, and I charged it like normal. After waiting a week or so, I decided to plug in a battery again. This time, I didn't smell anything, but as soon as the battery plugged in, the tail motor went to full blast, and had no response to my left rudder stick. After unplugging the tail motor and powering everything up, the collective and everything else worked just fine. This is obviously a big problem with my main board (I tested w/different tail motors). Is this fixable?

Seems like I might have blown out the tail gyro somehow?
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
Heli Mad
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Sounds like a shorted tail wire and the tail fet us blown. Can be fixed with a new fet and a soldering iron. Check the fet and see if this us the culprit v
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,530 Posts
I know there is a plug and play brushless setup for the Nano, but is there one for the MCPx ?
thanks
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:39 AM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
Sounds like a shorted tail wire and the tail fet us blown. Can be fixed with a new fet and a soldering iron. Check the fet and see if this us the culprit v
Sorry but what is a fet? All I can see is that the little black rectangle on the front side of the board just directly below where the tail plugs in is burnt. Is that the fet?
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:28 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Sorry but what is a fet? All I can see is that the little black rectangle on the front side of the board just directly below where the tail plugs in is burnt. Is that the fet?
I have extra FET's. If you mail me the board, I can solder in a new one and test it in mine.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:54 AM
FlyMike
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2011
101 Posts
Garry K,
WOW, that offer is what this hobby and forum are all about. Pat on the back to you!!
mmilan is offline Find More Posts by mmilan