HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:00 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco View Post
I have been having problems with the mainshaft cracking where the gear fits when it has spun on the flat, made a solid one today seems to fly ok anyone else done this ? why you think the standard one is hollow, is it made to break or for lightness
Steve,

A hollow shaft will typically have greater torsional rigidity than a solid shaft of similar weight, made from the same material. Microheli has aluminum, solid c/f, and titanium mainshafts for the mCP X. I've used their aluminum shafts, but they're pretty soft - and their titanium shaft has yet to be released.

I recently switched to MH's solid c/f shaft. Seems to be working well so far.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 24, 2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Brain fart
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:00 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Mcpx swashplate movement

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and I have a question that I couldn't find the answer for on this forum. I have gone through the threads and I had no luck. so forgive me if this was mentioned earlier and I missed it.

I have recently got the mcpx, it is my first and only flybarless heli. I have the blade msr and the blade 400.

I have notice the following. while the rotor is stationary, if I give a cyclic input the swashplate moves correctly and goes back to level when I release the stick on the radio. this is normal

however when I hold the heli in my hand and I spin the blades, I have noticed that if I give cyclic in any direction, the swashplate will move in that direction and it will remain there, even if I release the stick and the stick goes back to center.
I find that when the head is spinning, once I give a cyclic input, I need to give another input to counter it otherwise the heli will keep moving if the direction of the last input, even if the cyclic stick is put back to center.
is this normal for FBL helis?
it is a clear difference from the helis with fly bar.

Thanks again for your input. and appoligies if this was answered earlier

cheers
rcRotorworks is offline Find More Posts by rcRotorworks
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2011
791 Posts
that is normal
Stugoose is offline Find More Posts by Stugoose
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcRotorworks View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and I have a question that I couldn't find the answer for on this forum. I have gone through the threads and I had no luck. so forgive me if this was mentioned earlier and I missed it.

I have recently got the mcpx, it is my first and only flybarless heli. I have the blade msr and the blade 400.

I have notice the following. while the rotor is stationary, if I give a cyclic input the swashplate moves correctly and goes back to level when I release the stick on the radio. this is normal

however when I hold the heli in my hand and I spin the blades, I have noticed that if I give cyclic in any direction, the swashplate will move in that direction and it will remain there, even if I release the stick and the stick goes back to center.
I find that when the head is spinning, once I give a cyclic input, I need to give another input to counter it otherwise the heli will keep moving if the direction of the last input, even if the cyclic stick is put back to center.
is this normal for FBL helis?
it is a clear difference from the helis with fly bar.

Thanks again for your input. and appoligies if this was answered earlier

cheers
The 3 axis gyro's are only turned on when you have some throttle applied,, this is why they seem to work normal when stationary..

When they are working, and you apply say right aileron you have told the heli to go right but it can't as it's not flying so it keeps trying for awhile.. Now if you did this when holding it and you then tilted the heli right it would be happy and the swash would go back to center as long as you held it tilted or gave a stick command to go back to level flight and you then tilted the heli level.... This is all the way it works and is normal..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Thanks a lot for your inputs

Cheers
rcRotorworks is offline Find More Posts by rcRotorworks
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Steve,

Aside from being lighter, a hollow shaft will typically have greater torsional rigidity than a solid shaft of similar diameter, made from the same material. Microheli has aluminum, solid c/f, and titanium mainshafts for the mCP X. I've used their aluminum shafts, but they're pretty soft - and their titanium shaft has yet to be released.

I recently switched to MH's solid c/f shaft. Seems to be working well so far.

Joel
This is NOT true. A hollow shaft of the same outer diameter and material by definition will have a lower torsional stiffness than a solid shaft. Taking away the material in the center CAN NOT possibly make the shaft stiffer in torsion!!!
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
196 Posts
Hey my home page is MSN.com, and on one of the news articles it says "biggest toy recalls of 2011" and the mCP x is the MAIN picture! Had me scared that it was recalled again.
Dittsboylogan is offline Find More Posts by Dittsboylogan
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:32 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittsboylogan View Post
Hey my home page is MSN.com, and on one of the news articles it says "biggest toy recalls of 2011" and the mCP x is the MAIN picture! Had me scared that it was recalled again.
Just shows how dumb they are the mCPX isn't even a toy...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined May 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
Underpowered? No.

The stock motors seem to last a while. My first one was stock for about 2 months, and was fine, but I don't really know, as all my mcpx's are now brushless.

Does the tail hold? If you get an older 'v1' or 'v2' tail, no it doesn't hold well at all. If you get a newer mcpx with a v3 tail, you should be good to go.

Otherwise, you should plan on spending an additional $4 for kbdd tail blades.

Either way, I think you'll be surprised with this heli!
How can you tell if a mcpx has the V1, 2 or 3 tail?
airheli1201 is online now Find More Posts by airheli1201
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jun 2011
335 Posts
v1 tails have no protection around the motors. The v2 and v3 tails have a 'cage' around the motor.

Also, the v1 and v2 tails have the top rotor. The v3 has the bottom rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheli1201 View Post
How can you tell if a mcpx has the V1, 2 or 3 tail?
DudeInMyrtleBch is offline Find More Posts by DudeInMyrtleBch
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:30 PM
Ibs
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woketman View Post
This is NOT true. A hollow shaft of the same outer diameter and material by definition will have a lower torsional stiffness than a solid shaft. Taking away the material in the center CAN NOT possibly make the shaft stiffer in torsion!!!
Whilst you are correct, the material in the center of a rod does not add much torsional strength and is often omitted to reduce weight. I think that by weight a tube has higher torsional strength. Being a mechanical engineer and generally understating this stuff, I still find that solid rods give me better longevity. I am using a solid tail and main shaft. I recon that the CF manufacturing process cannot produce a tube of comparable strength. Maybe it has too many imperfections creating stress concentrations that fail
Ibs is offline Find More Posts by Ibs
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:53 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
710 Posts
No, that too is incorrect. Look up the equations of torsional stiffness. If it is the exact same material, taking away material from the center CAN NOT increase torsional stiffness!

Now if you are going for stiffness per gram, yes, the hollow tube will win. But if you need the stiffness of the solid tube, yet you get less with the hollow one, then what difference does that make? You still need the solid tube!

Now you could change materials and perhaps get a higher stiffness from a hollow tube, but that is not what we were talking about.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:55 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
1,961 Posts
Drive shafts on cars and trucks are hollow. Ask me how I know. LOL

Garry K.
garryk is online now Find More Posts by garryk
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined May 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
v1 tails have no protection around the motors. The v2 and v3 tails have a 'cage' around the motor.

Also, the v1 and v2 tails have the top rotor. The v3 has the bottom rotor.

Thanks. That is good to know. Will have to open the box of it in my LHS to check before I buy.
airheli1201 is online now Find More Posts by airheli1201
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:07 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Drive shafts on cars and trucks are hollow. Ask me how I know. LOL

Garry K.
Most of the time, yes, that is true. That is to save weight. But if the shaft was the same O.D. and the same material but solid, it would be stiffer torsionally and flexurally!