SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:41 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,742 Posts
I hope they used a better tail motor and this doesnt have the issues the MSR does.

I assume it wont if it can do mild 3D
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:50 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,809 Posts
I have waited for this for so long, i hope I can get to fly one when there availible. I sure hopw the tail will hold fromt he video it looks like it keeps up well.

i am not sure everyones issues with there MSR's my father got one and we put i guess 30 flights on it very fast. the tail at one time did act funny so replaced it but its still got the main stock motor in it and it still fly fine seems to have plenty of power for what it does.

it is TUFF. i have slamed it into the ground so many times from trying to do backward flights and I have bounced it off the car hood and it hit the concrete ground. so far dad broke one blade grip but glue it back and its fine. hope this thing can take a beating like the MSR can. everyone saying its so light, i had no clue about the trex100. guess thats why this is now coming out they got keep up with others. I am a huge blade400 lover it taught me everything I know about flying. helicoptors.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:57 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Count me in!!!
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,052 Posts
I'm in!

Head looks very simple...

Servos look a bit dainty, but the proof will be in the puddin'!

Notice that they bolt on separate from the controller board, so some crazed fool might find:

metal gears...carbon fiber servo body... lightweight mounting and wiring... hotter winding/internal gear ratio for fast response...

And a *real* nut would look at the lacquered wires (to tail motor I presume) and figure that removing the header and plug saves weight, if you don't mind soldering direct to board... same in other locations for other motors/connections... could dremel off the edge of the PCB where there are no traces running... desolder, cut, trim, and re-solder ALL wiring to absolute minimal lengths (replace with lacquered wire?), sacrificing ease of servicability... on a heli this size, this close to full 3D, it seems that saving little things like that could bring it right to the limit of what you can do in this scale...
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Feb 03, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:03 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I have waited for this for so long, i hope I can get to fly one when there availible. I sure hopw the tail will hold fromt he video it looks like it keeps up well.
I bet it's the same tail motor. I'll definitely wait until this thing has been out for a while and scour the reviews. At least wait until there are some upgrade parts for it. That last thing I'd want is to buy one and they release the 2.0 version with a new and improved 3-in-1 unit with better gyros or something like they did when I got my CX2 and then the CX3 came out.

As for the main and tail mSR motors, I'm coming up on 200 flights on the original motors. I have spares, but haven't needed them yet and I fly my mSR pretty hard for being indoors. Lots of full speed pirouettes and such...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:04 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Horizon/Eflite really kept the lid on this heli so to speak, I dont think anyone outside of HH had any idea the mCP was coming......other than our eternal hopes.

Bought every Eflight heli so far except the SR.....just couldnt bring myself to buy "the turd" heli, although glad for what it did to get people into the heli hobby

Im ready....... Im sure the RTF TX doesnt have full control like a fully programmable DX6/7/8 JR radio would.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:06 AM
Expert Aircraft Basher
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jan 2011
639 Posts
A sub-micro, lightweight, inexpensive, durable CP heli to learn on? Are you kidding! I am DEFINITELY getting one of these...
antmeeks is offline Find More Posts by antmeeks
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:06 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I'm in!

Head looks very simple...
That's one of the main advantages of a flybarless head. Less parts, easier to setup and fix after a crash.

One thing I'd like to see is adjustable linkages from the swashplate up to the blade grips for precise blade tracking and overall pitch adjustment since vertical movement of the swashplate on the rotor shaft is now a factor. But, the one piece plastic links will be tough as nails and won't bend in a crash like metal ones can. I'm sure there will be a mod for adjustable links soon enough...
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:16 AM
Pat K
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
That's one of the main advantages of a flybarless head. Less parts, easier to setup and fix after a crash.

One thing I'd like to see is adjustable linkages from the swashplate up to the blade grips for precise blade tracking and overall pitch adjustment since vertical movement of the swashplate on the rotor shaft is now a factor. But, the one piece plastic links will be tough as nails and won't bend in a crash like metal ones can. I'm sure there will be a mod for adjustable links soon enough...
If it's like the mSR, tracking could be easily adjusted by just manually bending a bit the blades to give them either a bit more or less pitch. As you said, less parts means less trouble and I would even add: the less settings we can change, the less mistakes we do...
Papat is offline Find More Posts by Papat
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:20 AM
Expert Aircraft Basher
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jan 2011
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papat View Post
If it's like the mSR, tracking could be easily adjusted by just manually bending a bit the blades to give them either a bit more or less pitch. As you said, less parts means less trouble and I would even add: the less settings we can change, the less mistakes we do...
Correct me if my wrong, but you don't want to bend the blades on a CP heli... They need to maintain some uniformity on both sides in order to function correctly, yes?
antmeeks is offline Find More Posts by antmeeks
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:21 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Lol

It's not 3D..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:26 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papat View Post
If it's like the mSR, tracking could be easily adjusted by just manually bending a bit the blades to give them either a bit more or less pitch.
I know, but that's often not a permanent or repeatable adjustment. I'd like to see positive and precise adjustment via links with individual ball links at each end. Plus, sometimes you need that adjustment when setting your "zero point" from max low to max high pitch. Like always, it's best to set the airframe up as mechanically close to "neutral" as possible, then commence with setup on the TX.

I know it would add a bit more weight, but I'd really like to see them put a ball link at the servo ends instead of that lame J bend...or the Z bends on the mSR. Metal always wins over plastic when it comes to wear and those holes on the linear slider WILL open up/elongate from crash damage and general wear and introduce even more control slop.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:27 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmeeks View Post
Correct me if my wrong, but you don't want to bend the blades on a CP heli... They need to maintain some uniformity on both sides in order to function correctly, yes?
Yes, good point. Especially if they are symmetrical airfoil blades. Sure, it may not be full 3D capable, but it CAN hover and fly inverted, according to the video I've seen. Twisting blades as a band-aid fix is a NO NO.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:28 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
I'm actually excited and pumped about a new blade product.......WOW!

Yeah its not a 3D machine but at least its a CP so you will have positive control over it flying where the mSR pitches up/down easily in forward flight and swings around. It will be great for learing all orientations upright/inverted as well as Upright forward/backwards and inverted forwards/backwards
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:29 AM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Yeah its not a 3D machine but at least its a CP so you will have positive control over it flying where the mSR pitches up/down easily in forward flight and swings around. It will be great for learing all orientations upright/inverted as well as Upright forward/backwards and inverted forwards/backwards
Yup, that last part is why my DX7 hungrily awaits for it to swallow up another model memory...or two...