HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:11 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
940 Posts
Battery Life, Hyperions Vs Miniaviation.

Just for info, not scientific, no test figures, no ‘earth shattering proof’, just my experience.
After months of stress caused by an intermittent contact on my tail my Baby is now flying like a dream and backward flight mixed in with lots of flips and attempts at Tic-Tocs are on the menu every flight. At the start of my troubles I thought that my cells were getting tiered so I purchased 2 Hyperions and 4 Mini Aviations to try, both types were a vast improvement on my old tiered 240 Hyperions giving me my 4,5 minutes flight time back (when my Baby survived a whole flight) but due to all the crashing I didn't really get to test and compare. I try to use my cells in rotation so that all 6 have had around the same use but cannot accurately say how many cycles (maybe 30 – 50) that they have had. I only charge at 1C but have parallel charged them and have left them fully charge for up to a week at a time (me bad).
Anyway, I can now objectively compare the cells and can report that all 4 MA’s trigger LVC at between 2,30 and 4 minutes with a lack of power for the last minute. The Hyperions sound to have a higher head speed (really noticeable for the first 2 minutes, she really buzzes) and when my timer goes off at 4,30 I can still flip really tight and the tail holds in fast backward flight. I flew all 6 packs today and have just put between 158 and 172 mAh back into the MA’s and 252-267 into the Hyperions (too much, I know).
Not meant to criticize or plug a product, just to report what I have found at the moment, both types seemed to be pretty good at first but the Hyperions seem to have held up better than the Mini Aviations in the long term.
I will be buying Mini Aviation products again but in this case the Hyerions won the 'life expectancy' test.
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:17 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
1,938 Posts
My Hyperions seem to last longer also.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
828 Posts
Hello all... I'm kind of new to this side of the forum, as I have spent most of my short time here in the foamy planes section.... but with the help of a friend and fellow club member, I decided to get my first heli. Being as I have flown planes for a while, sport and 3d, and some coaxial heli's, he suggested the mcpx for my first "real" heli. I wanted something a tad bigger, like the 130x, but since the mcpx is a little cheaper, and from what I have seen, can handle some crashes (over tall grass), i went with it. Also, hoping to work on hovering in my house over the winter.
So, here I am. Got my mcpx last week, read over the manual a few times, back and forth from forums to forums... reading, learning, reading... I decided to maiden it last night. Just brief hovers 6"-12" off the carpet for a couple of seconds at a time... but wow... this is definately a big step up from the coaxials. I went to bed a happy camper last night. i can't wait to practice again! I haven't read through this entire thread yet, as it will take some time, but plan to do so. This is an awesome little heli!!!
JForbes is online now Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:39 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
1,938 Posts
Welcome to the collective pitch world, JForbes. Watch the main rotor "plate". It moves before the heli does. Also don't just react to what it does, TELL it what to do. You will learn much faster that way. Good luck,
Garry K.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:40 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
828 Posts
Sweet. Thanks Garry.... A very cool world it is, that's for sure.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:24 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
@jforbes You made the right choice learning collective pitch with this heli vs. 130x or nano, both great helis in their own ways but not quite as forgiving in crashes (130x) or flitty (nano). My advice for indoor flying is keep the mcpx away from walls, drinking glasses, TVs or parked cars in the garage, you'd be surprised what it can do, don't ask how i know.

Have fun, heli 3d is super addictive.
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:41 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Hello all... I'm kind of new to this side of the forum, as I have spent most of my short time here in the foamy planes section.... but with the help of a friend and fellow club member, I decided to get my first heli. Being as I have flown planes for a while, sport and 3d, and some coaxial heli's, he suggested the mcpx for my first "real" heli. I wanted something a tad bigger, like the 130x, but since the mcpx is a little cheaper, and from what I have seen, can handle some crashes (over tall grass), i went with it. Also, hoping to work on hovering in my house over the winter.
So, here I am. Got my mcpx last week, read over the manual a few times, back and forth from forums to forums... reading, learning, reading... I decided to maiden it last night. Just brief hovers 6"-12" off the carpet for a couple of seconds at a time... but wow... this is definately a big step up from the coaxials. I went to bed a happy camper last night. i can't wait to practice again! I haven't read through this entire thread yet, as it will take some time, but plan to do so. This is an awesome little heli!!!

welcome to our family, and just go slow on the learning curve and do time your flight. also read the charger so that your lipos batt. are ready charged when you get the led s sweeping from side to side on the charger. Good Luck and Best Regards.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
828 Posts
Thanks guys! I've been practicing a little over carpet. Taking it slow. I'm getting together with a friend from our club tomorrow who is an experienced heli pilot to have him verify all my radio settings and maybe do a few flights on it just to make sure all is well. I love rcgroups forum. I have met some great folks here and found a great wealth of knowledge. Thank you all!!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,840 Posts
anyone with a plug and play brushless setup for this heli?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Citizen 46
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
anyone with a plug and play brushless setup for this heli?
I think WOW Hobbies has "no-solder" brushless kits available.
rnettles is online now Find More Posts by rnettles
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnettles View Post
I think WOW Hobbies has "no-solder" brushless kits available.
I want one!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:12 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
828 Posts
Got my first official "maiden flight" on my mcpx. I love this little thing. I'd been practicing some hovers in my house, but got it out at the flying club yesterday and beautiful and very calm weather. This thing is a blast! This is my first cp heli, but I'm so glad I went this this one. I know that it will be great to learn and grow with! I really wanted a 130x and even looked at some 450 size heli's, but I think I made the right move now. I can't wait to fly it again!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:50 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I want one!
I got my pnp c05 brushless setup new off ebay for 60 bucks plus a free set of kbdd blades. I have since seen the same package listing for 50: It is a mild brushless upgrade with no tail upgrade or battery upgrade required. i am extremely happy with it for mild 3d (no tic tocs)
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
363 Posts
I'm currently thinking of taking a mcpx for next forthcoming Christmas...
Will be the v2 for sure, but I've read here and there about different versions of the 3-in-1 called e.g. 1.3 and 1.5. Do I need to check anything else beyond the heli version before buying, or If I take the mcpx v2 I'm sure I get the latest hardware and firmware?
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:44 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
1,938 Posts
I don't know,, I like my Nano CPX way better than my Brushless MCPX. It's more durable, and it fly's way better. Also costs less.
Garry K.