Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:58 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,150 Posts
timing advance and running the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Phil,

Check the motor swap thread. It's in there. The problem with doing what you are attempting to do is that any slight difference that could be attributed to timing (if any exists, which, at this point seems unlikely) will be completely lost in the noise of the normal 20%+ variability seen between P-51 motor samples when they are all turning in the same direction. It's like looking for a difference in brightness between two flashlights while you're looking directly at a searchlight.

So, I believe that it is a futile endeavor, as even if you see a difference in one case, you would need a much larger 'n' to get rid of the statistical noise caused by the well-documented variability that exists between motor samples. Just my observation...

Joel
well, you are not helping by telling me to check the motor swap thread. is like telling me that it is somewhere in the pacific ocean.
anyway, the point here is that i am trying to learn 2 things:
1.-if there is any timing advance in the motors of the mos;
2.-if there is any difference in performance when these motors are run 1 way or the other.
1.-am not supporting that there is timing advance. am just trying to learn if there is. and am not trying to show figures saying that they are what anybody must expect from every motor. all that matters even if i test 1 motor only is the difference between running the motor 1 way and then the other, and that will tell enough to realize what is going on.
your comment on that all the figures i will get, will be lost in the 20% variability between the motor samples makes me wonder if all the tests with figures done by everybody, including dr kiwi with his thousands of figures are useless because were from 1 sample and you think that is a futile endeavor. to me, they give us a point of comparison. and the funny thing is that you take the comments from johnkielsen (your post 1354/page 91) as good enough evidence that there is no timing advance, even if it is only his word and he does not provide any figures.
2.-about the difference in performance, even if there is no timing advance, i think that what Lberry.88 says in his post 1289/page 86 is to be considered, due to the design of the pieces in these motors, and the figures may provide the necessary evidence to know if there are losses or not.
i sincerely hope this will end here.
i will provide the results of my tests for everybody to consider.
regards
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Mar 03, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:58 AM
Account Closed
Toronto, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
OK... it's done and was easy.

Just follow the instructions they are completely accurate. I used a rubber band to hold the right stick down and left (looped over the bottom left corner of the TX). The RX led goes solid and then 3 rapid flashes indicate the switch to channel 6 has worked.

After removing battery and rebinding (with sticks in normal position) I activated the Dual Ali option in the DX6i Tail Mixes menu. I then needed to reverse the flaps channel (channel 6) to get the ailerons moving in opposite directions.

I then programmed in a 30% differential that reduces the aileron throw down by about 2 or 3mm.

I also programmed Flaps up 60% (up = spoilerons) with no elevator compensation (yet). This will be tested with care.

I've moved control rod in to hole 3 from the hinge for a bit more throw. And slightly tightened the adjustment loop on the elevator so the elevator is just slightly down. I checked there is plenty of adjustment available using the TX trim tab.

I've also set expo at 60% for elevator and ailerons and 30% for rudder.

Finally I added a little tape to the rudder (as post above suggests) and the outside half of the leading edge each side. I think it will be too tricky to tape the wing tips as the wing is so thin.. anyone tried this?

In taxiing tests the wheel centering problem is non-existent. I think it may be just as much the silver hub stickers that are not centered as the wheel... anyway I had no issues taxiing so won't be touching the wheels.

That's it... I'm ready for my maiden
(unless I missed something?)

Toppers
He Rich

Mike and I got ours yesterday also....

Their best model to date by far, and out of the box
all is well..cant wait to maiden them when things warm up soon....

Really sweet HH, keep em coming!

GTAEF is offline Find More Posts by GTAEF
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:00 AM
Account Closed
Toronto, Canada
Joined Aug 2009
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
I'd love to... I have some Hyperions 320's on their way to me (over 2 weeks now from AZ - not AlleRC's fault, they mailed out the same day as ordered).... hopefully they'll arrive any day now.
lol...I wouldn't wait by the door just yet Rich....

MY order from allerc was 2/8 and mine are still not here!

Mail from us to canada used to average 8-16 days, and this year its averaging JUST UNDER a MONTH!

lol
GTAEF is offline Find More Posts by GTAEF
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:59 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paribatra View Post
...maybe a nosecone for the observation version of the plane with windows and tiny little pilots for the cockpit?.
I tried taking the canopy off to mount a crew and to make it easier to correctly paint the frames (green to follow the camo pattern).... WOW, that canopy is welded to the fuselage. It takes a very sharp Xacto blade to cut that glue joint - very, very carefully!!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:27 AM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
well, you are not helping by telling me to check the motor swap thread. Is like telling me that it is somewhere in the pacific ocean.
lol
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:02 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
No wind is the way to go with this bird. I was disappointed with it after yesterdays video in the wind. Yes I can fly it in the wind, but I don't enjoy it. With no wind it is a completely different plane. I love it now. I mechanically put about 1/2 of a mm down elevator with the elevator trim set a neutral. I hand launched it with about 2/3 throttle and it flew strait out of my hand. Today I flew it with the stock battery, dual HPY 160's, dual mini avaition 180's and dual HPY 240's. They all flew it great! It will just go down to personal preference. The CG ranged from 36 to 38mm. The heaver batteries might make it a little more stable. I think I have mine set how I want it. I found no wing tip stalls or tail heaviness at all now. The first part of the video is with the stock battery and the second is with the dual HPY 240's.

Glad to see you checking in here turboparker. You observations are very accurate!

Here ya go chuck: 3 videos in 3 days. Not too bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kskHXZg0gvk
Thanks for posting the video. Tell your flying buddy the Lancaster was flown on the Dambuster mission, not the Mosquito. One of the great stories from WWII. One of my favorite movies, along with the Battle of Britain.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:14 AM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
He Phil.
It is my last advise for you. Stop all your talking about motors running one way or the other, you don`t listen, and you do not remember your own post. My post about the thrust reading for the BRAVO SX motor with a 5043 prop is 75 g powered from 240 mAh HY
in the first 10 seconds, falling to 65-68 g after that. My reading is in both direction. You will have a 60-62 g of useful trust through the PZ ESC, if you have a good SX motor.
END OF STORY
JOHN
johnkielsen is offline Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:32 AM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
807 Posts
Boom
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:59 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Thanks for posting the video. Tell your flying buddy the Lancaster was flown on the Dambuster mission, not the Mosquito. One of the great stories from WWII. One of my favorite movies, along with the Battle of Britain.
Both planes were used I believe.

Dam busters or bouncing bomb (2 min 43 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:31 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2003
388 Posts
You will find I have answered that question at some length earlier in this thread HERE. In summary:

The attack on the damns used only Lancasters, and the Upkeep weapon itself could not even be carried by Mosquitos (it was a 5 ton bomb - well beyond the lifting capability of a mossie).

Moquitos were used for development of the bouncing bomb concept for other purposes and the smaller Highball weapon, but that was never used operationally. The myth that it was has its origins in the trully awful film "Mosquito Squadron".

PDR
Peter D Rieden is offline Find More Posts by Peter D Rieden
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:49 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Both planes were used I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JqBiMgC2Wg
The actual heavy ordnance delivery(Upkeep bouncing bomb) was done by Lancaster. Photo Recon was done by Spitfires of the 541 Squadron.

Mosquitoes were used in the development of another, earlier, Wallis bouncing bomb known as Highball.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:13 PM
Joined Feb 2008
36 Posts
Some cool pics of Mossies in the field and in action.
migskyhigh is offline Find More Posts by migskyhigh
Last edited by migskyhigh; Mar 03, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:16 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Pics

Pics from the WRAM Show:
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
36 Posts
On the ground and in the air.
migskyhigh is offline Find More Posts by migskyhigh
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:22 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D Rieden View Post
You will find I have answered that question at some length earlier in this thread HERE. In summary:

The attack on the damns used only Lancasters, and the Upkeep weapon itself could not even be carried by Mosquitos (it was a 5 ton bomb - well beyond the lifting capability of a mossie).

Moquitos were used for development of the bouncing bomb concept for other purposes and the smaller Highball weapon, but that was never used operationally. The myth that it was has its origins in the trully awful film "Mosquito Squadron".

PDR
Thanks for pointing out your post, PDR. Very interesting. Love the Lancaster, the Mosquito, and the Spitfire.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG