Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:47 AM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6kPFFXkj4

looks like it wants to tip stall very badly, i think ill pass on this one. Not that impressed with it.

I have the need, the need for speed. I love my umx beast.
looks like it wasn't balanced, wasn't trimmed and not sure about the pilots skills. from the other videos I've seen this looks to be a very stable and sweet flying plane. I'd love a P-38. hopefully HH have one coming.
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:49 AM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Well, I thought the wind had died down enough. I did get the maiden in. This plane does not like wind or at least I don't like this plane in wind. The next time I fly it will be with VERY little or no wind. I hand launched it because I was flying it at a grass field. I flew it with a 240 HYP. I plan on flying it with a varity of different batteries when the wind is low. I do think it will be a pleasure to fly in no wind. You will see in the launch, the wind got underneath it and blew it back over my head, of course into the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qho6uHPYJIU
in the wind I'd suggest 1) move the cg forward some, 2) use a larger/heavier battery or maybe add a keychain camera.

I like the sound of those twin props. I was thinking of waiting for a P-38 version of this, but after that video, I might have to get this Mosquito = can't wait.
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:50 AM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Picked mine up yesterday. It does suffer from that bad Wheel Wobble and looks like the hole is drilled off-center.

Has anyone contacted HH about this yet?
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:07 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellmark View Post
Nice video Skyjet, thanks. I had very similar conditions with my first flight. You get that big wing at an angle to the wind and wow.... she's a sail! Once trimmed she will float pretty good. You mentioned another good observation too, she likes to point to weather. Almost automatic. She flies very different from any of the other UM's. I'm glad too. Just what I wanted. Not just different looking but a different flight. She likes to be flown scale. Not a speedster like the P-51 and not as docille as the T-28. Thanks again for sharing.
Thanks! On that launch, it pitched up like everybody has mentioned, and then the wind took over. I checked my radio and found that I had put 13 clicks of down elevator(DX6i). I may mechanically put in some down elevator before I fly it next.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:09 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,330 Posts
I like the sound in the videos - very cool and different. Yes, it looks like a pain in the ass in the wind, just like the cub. Some extra weight in front of the cub works wonders, and I'm sure it will on this too. When the is no wind these are great to fly. Looking forward to this one!

Ps: I also have a hot-rod 2S micro P51 that rips its way through the wind pretty good.
jdwolters is online now Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:17 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivelyJoe View Post
in the wind I'd suggest 1) move the cg forward some, 2) use a larger/heavier battery or maybe add a keychain camera.

I like the sound of those twin props. I was thinking of waiting for a P-38 version of this, but after that video, I might have to get this Mosquito = can't wait.
The CG was dead on 38mm with a HYP 240 all the way forward. I do plan on trying dual 160's 180's and 240's. The dual 160's only move the CG forward 1mm to 37. The 180's and 240's will be able to move it farther forward if needed.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:41 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,210 Posts
Re: stock batteries

Yes got the 20C,,,, so everybody seems to be saying the Hyperions are better for this bird?????
Airman74 is online now Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:43 AM
Joined Apr 2001
372 Posts
Mosquito Battery

It may have been mention earlier in the thread..But can anyone tell me where I can get some extra batteries for the Mosquito.
Flyboy70 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:54 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
This is a quick and dirty video that I took yesterday. One of these days, I need to pick up an HD video editor, as I now have an (authentic) HD keychain camera.
Great vid Jimmy. Thanks for sharing!
jpt1205 is online now Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:55 AM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellmark View Post
Ok I wanted to see the cause of the tight motor. I thought it might be the pinion/gear contact. I was wrong. It is the motor itself. It is tight inside the motor housing. I lubed with a bit of food grade tri-flow. It helped a little but this motor is not the same as the other. Time will tell if it causes early burn out.
My port motor was noticeably tight from the moment I opened the box. It wouldn't freespin well at all, maybe 2 rev's after flicking it. It lasted 5 flights before screeching and seizing during flight. Good luck, Horizon is sending me a new one.

Too bad I have to rip off the plastic exhaust port to remove the nacelle. Thats what hacks me off.
represent is online now Find More Posts by represent
Last edited by represent; Mar 02, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:10 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
The stock battery is EFLB2501S20- which is not yet available separately, but is slated to ship in 1 week or so. EFLB2501S, which is a 12C battery and somewhat marginally up to the task, is available and I can confirm does work and I've only seen a couple flights to this point.

As I'm sure you have gathered from the thread, an excellent choice would be the Hyperion 1S 240's as an upgrade, and actually is cheaper than the stock 20C.

There are a wide variety of single cells, such as EFLB5001S that would work, but would present issues as far as weight, connectors, and "drop in fit" ability.

Most of these cells should be available from your LHS, and I stock them if you're looking for online choices (quantumhobby.com). Other vendors such as Allerc or RCBabbel usually stock them as well and I would vouch for either of them as good dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy70 View Post
It may have been mention earlier in the thread..But can anyone tell me where I can get some extra batteries for the Mosquito.
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:18 PM
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Joined Mar 2001
352 Posts
Hmmmmm, ordered mine from Atlanta Hobby yesterday with three extra batteries. They never said there was any delay expected for the batteries. I have a bunch of eFlight and Turnagy's to use though.
lenrev is offline Find More Posts by lenrev
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:21 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Well, I thought the wind had died down enough. I did get the maiden in. This plane does not like wind or at least I don't like this plane in wind. The next time I fly it will be with VERY little or no wind. I hand launched it because I was flying it at a grass field. I flew it with a 240 HYP. I plan on flying it with a varity of different batteries when the wind is low. I do think it will be a pleasure to fly in no wind. You will see in the launch, the wind got underneath it and blew it back over my head, of course into the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qho6uHPYJIU
Seemed to fly ok in the Wind from what I saw in the video. How much throttle were you feeding when you were "hovering"?
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:27 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivelyJoe View Post

Unless you know something I don't, a P-38 is gonna be a looooong way out. The issue is the tail: Both getting it consistently lined up properly (we can't seem to get a decent, error free batch of mossies, now imagine how bad the lighting would be!) and getting the dual rudders to work in such a compact frame (the micro servos are too large to fit each in a tail boom).

Chances are better the next twin will be either something like the A-26, P-61, or my personal best guess: a micro twin otter. In my dream world, a quad like the B-17 exists as well. (pretty pretty pretty please horizon?)
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:43 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
In all likelihood, you are going to get EFLB2501S. I'm an HH dealer and fastserve currently shows 3/9 for an availability date on the 20C version. Not the end of the world to get the old ones though- they're pretty cheap and they seem to get the job done. Atlanta Hobby is a good vendor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenrev View Post
Hmmmmm, ordered mine from Atlanta Hobby yesterday with three extra batteries. They never said there was any delay expected for the batteries. I have a bunch of eFlight and Turnagy's to use though.
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO