HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:39 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
So babbel when you going to put two solo pro or SX motors in her? More powahhhhhh!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:51 PM
All Electric
St. Louis, MO. USA
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Sweet Mosquito

Well, my LHS saved one for me today. Picked it up and went straight to the flying field. A couple things impressed me right away.
1. A bit bigger then expected.
2. Three blades look and sound great.
3. Paint scheme and scale looks, thumbs up!
I programmed my DX6i with 30%exp on all rates. On the runway the steerable tailwheel is effective. After taxi, decided 100% full rates for maiden flight would help counter the wind today. I throttle up slowly and full throttle after tail came up and she was in the air in about 5' with 5-10mph head wind.
I did not experience the tail heavy issue as others with the stock battery. The mosquito wanted to climb even at 1/3 throttle. Trim down about 3-4 clicks and level flight a 1/2 throttle looked good. The planes flies a lot smoother in turns then the P-51 would need correction for dipping. Has plenty of power for 45-60 degree climb.
After a few circles I throttled up for a couple of rolls which were slow and managible. The loops were not quite full circle but good enough. She wanted to come out at the top a little to one side like a wing over.
Landing was a non-issue and would recommend keeping 100% full rates on for the whole flight.
Verdict is Awesome First Flight!
Cabertoss is online now Find More Posts by Cabertoss
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:03 PM
All Electric
St. Louis, MO. USA
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Mosquito Throttle Cutout

On my second flight, my Mosquito's throttle cut out after getting into the air about 10' using a brand new E-flite 250mah like the that it came with. Both motors just stopped working. Luckily I was high enough and still had control of the servos. After the smooth dead stick landing, I check the battery connector, check throttle operation and motors worked again.

After second attempt, again the engines cut out and had to deadstick land. I held the plane this time, advance to full throttle and both engines started up and ran for 10 seconds then shut down. What's up with that? I tried it again, throttle down then up and held it and samething happens. Maybe my new battery is not quite charged up. The manual says when power is low the engines will surge up and down as an indicator, but mine as just shutting down.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabertoss View Post
On my second flight, my Mosquito's throttle cut out after getting into the air about 10' using a brand new E-flite 250mah like the that it came with. Both motors just stopped working. Luckily I was high enough and still had control of the servos. After the smooth dead stick landing, I check the battery connector, check throttle operation and motors worked again.

After second attempt, again the engines cut out and had to deadstick land. I held the plane this time, advance to full throttle and both engines started up and ran for 10 seconds then shut down. What's up with that? I tried it again, throttle down then up and held it and samething happens. Maybe my new battery is not quite charged up. The manual says when power is low the engines will surge up and down as an indicator, but mine as just shutting down.

Any ideas?
I would charge the battery all the way up and try powering it up again while you hold it. If you still have problems try another battery. If that doesn't fix it I would exchange it out or call Horizon.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:26 PM
All Electric
St. Louis, MO. USA
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
I'm hoping it will be that simple. Batteries are charging as we speak and I will let you know if that fixes it.

Oh, forgot to mention that my wheels are wobbly to, but did not really bother me on take offs and landings.....yet.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:30 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:

Oh, forgot to mention that my wheels are wobbly to, but did not really bother me on take offs and landings.....yet.
I don't have mine yet, but I wouldn't think It would make much difference with a micro. I'll be flying mine without the gear most of the time anyway.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:38 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
We are still waiting on this side of the pond (well I am anyway!) i was just wondering about this tail-heaviness...

The manual warns against unpowered landings, suggesting that the glide ratio is not great. I wonder if they have deliberately made it slightly tail heavy to stop the nose dropping after cutting power?

Also, with the wheels being wobbly: Did those who it effects notice it while ROGing? or was it before flying/after reading the thread? And how much difference does it make on the ground? The runway i fly off is no where near smooth - im not sure i would ever notice - unless the wheels were off centre by 2 or 3 mm.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
I'm hoping it will be that simple. Batteries are charging as we speak and I will let you know if that fixes it.
If you have a volt meter that can make those small connections, a fully charged battery should red 4.2 volts or somewhere close. I put a volt meter on the side of the connector where you can see the shiny part of the connector wire.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
When you guys say that the wheels wobble is that because there is too much space for the wheels to move side to side?
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Sounds like the micro mosquito isn't the best airplane for windy days. It does have an undercamber wing like the mustang. How does the mossy compare to the micro mustang?
It's between the Trojan and the Mustang, in terms of agility. I'd say it's closer to the Trojan than it is to the Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88
The manual warns against unpowered landings, suggesting that the glide ratio is not great. I wonder if they have deliberately made it slightly tail heavy to stop the nose dropping after cutting power?
It has a glide slope of around 40-45 degrees. It is not a bird that I'd recommend trying to thermal. The Mosquito is hard not to get tail-heavy. It's got a lot of tail and very little nose.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
It has a glide slope of around 40-45 degrees. It is not a bird that I'd recommend trying to thermal. The Mosquito is hard not to get tail-heavy. It's got a lot of tail and very little nose.
Yeah - they dont have the luxury of 2 Merlin engines to balance it out

I am sure that PZ could have done more to mitigate the tail heaviness of the plane by moving the brick forward etc.

Maybe they did design her to be a bit tail heavy. Seems silly otherwise - surely it would have been picked up in development?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:13 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,245 Posts
I'd really like to see some cg measurements from those claiming tail-heaviness with the stock battery. "Proper" cg location is as subjective as paint schemes - everyone has his own preference.

Remember the symptoms of an aft cg are reduced pitch stability (model may appear to "hunt" in pitch), difficulty trimming in pitch, and dramatically more severe stall tendencies such as abruptly entering a spin at stall.

If your model is not exhibiting this kind of behavior, but instead simply wants to climb all the time, you probably just need some down elevator trim. I'm sorry if this may sound a little "basic," but we have a LOT of new modelers here on RCG and we can't assume everybody knows how to trim a model. Also I am trying to sort out if these models truly have a cg that's out of the recommended range or if it's just pilot preference, and we can't figure that out until we get some cg measurements.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
I'd really like to see some cg measurements from those claiming tail-heaviness with the stock battery. "Proper" cg location is as subjective as paint schemes - everyone has his own preference.
Seems sensible

While you're here Dave: when can we expect them in the UK?

I am disappointed that they aren't being made at the old de Havilland factory just up the road from me!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:58 PM
Loose Nut behind the ..Sticks?
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
Well i looked at the cg from the stock point and it a little nose heavy with stock battery and with the 500mah 120 sr battery it a little bit more nose heavy. mine in flight tries to imitate a esters rocket at half throttle or above it will try and climb at 50-75 degrees.

it might be my imagination but the tail does not seem parallel with the wing it seems that the leading edge is lower then the back edge.
Xargon321 is offline Find More Posts by Xargon321
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:03 AM
Vertical? Who, me?
Goodwood, South Australia
Joined Feb 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
How about rigging up a little bomb drop servo under the HK mossie - then suspend the UM mossie under it
LOL, yeah like the way the B-29's, B-52's etc dropped some of the early NASA stuff.

Might get her little wings blown off by the prop wash though.

I'll stage a pic when it arrives (soon, I hope)
EELightningFan is offline Find More Posts by EELightningFan