HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:52 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
My question is why do most of these UM's use brushed motors instead of direct-drive BL motors like the UM Beast? Is it more economical to use brushed, geared-down (or up, depending on your perspective) motors at this size or is it a physics thing?
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:54 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
its more efficient battery wise and its cheaper.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
My question is why do most of these UM's use brushed motors instead of direct-drive BL motors like the UM Beast? Is it more economical to use brushed, geared-down (or up, depending on your perspective) motors at this size or is it a physics thing?
It's physics.

Small motors can make a lot of RPM, but very little torque, just like in a car.

So they make Horsepower at high RPM and gear them down to spin a larger prop.

A DD prop would have to be 2" to run the same amps as a gearboxed motor running a 5" prop.

The 5" prop is going to move air much more efficiently than a fast spinning 2" prop, so it makes more thrust... and even if the 2" prop made more thrust, it would look pretty stupid on a warbird.

The Beast uses 2S (high volts keeps the amps down for the same power output) which gets away from the simple/cheap/light nature of 1S.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:00 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Cheaper I understand, but I thought BL was supposed to be more efficient?

Edit: I see the above post, disregard this one!!
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:00 PM
Aerobatics?
Joined Oct 2010
63 Posts
Anyone know the release date? I was about to pull the trigger on a UM P-51, this one definitly will be my next if the RD isnt next year :P
Britnkurt is offline Find More Posts by Britnkurt
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:01 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
its more efficient battery wise and its cheaper.
Is that only because of the scale of UM's? Otherwise, why the migration in the Parkflyer scale and above to Brushless motors??

Edit: Nevermind--I saw the answer (man, there are alot of messages crossing in cyberspace!!)
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:10 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
It's physics.

Small motors can make a lot of RPM, but very little torque, just like in a car.

So they make Horsepower at high RPM and gear them down to spin a larger prop.

A DD prop would have to be 2" to run the same amps as a gearboxed motor running a 5" prop.

The 5" prop is going to move air much more efficiently than a fast spinning 2" prop, so it makes more thrust... and even if the 2" prop made more thrust, it would look pretty stupid on a warbird.

The Beast uses 2S (high volts keeps the amps down for the same power output) which gets away from the simple/cheap/light nature of 1S.
Great explanation! Many thanks--that helps a lot. I really like to understand the inner workings of these models--I'm geeky like that (no offense to anyone resembling that remark)
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:53 PM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine View Post
Or just do what I did..I had a pretty good feeling something was coming soon, and I sold off a couple of my UM's.
Yeah...TO ME! And I'm havin' a ball flying new (to me ) planes RIGHT NOW! HAHAHA. I'd be having even more fun if it weren't for all this blasted snow. Had to put on snow shoes just to get out into the flying field. Definitely perfecting my hand-catch tecnique!

LaneVT
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:59 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,557 Posts
Just awesome........very cool little bird.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:01 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
Hello Ungn.
I have to do some balancing too most of my GWS props, before i have, some more exact
result. I have done the test without ESCs, only batterys. I want to see the amp too, but
i do not know, how to use my multimeter for this. The Bravo SX with a Sukhoi prop 130x70 and HY 240 mAh or the Eflight 500 mAh, give at the first 30 sek 75/78 gram of thrust,
then falling to 66/68 the next several min.,but no ESC. With the 5043 it is 2 or 3 gram less. Motor warm up a little.
John
johnkielsen is offline Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:20 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen View Post
Hello Ungn.
I have to do some balancing too most of my GWS props, before i have, some more exact
result. I have done the test without ESCs, only batterys. I want to see the amp too, but
i do not know, how to use my multimeter for this. The Bravo SX with a Sukhoi prop 130x70 and HY 240 mAh or the Eflight 500 mAh, give at the first 30 sek 75/78 gram of thrust,
then falling to 66/68 the next several min.,but no ESC. With the 5043 it is 2 or 3 gram less. Motor warm up a little.
John
I can't wait until the SX motors are readily available with 9T pinions. Those thrust numbers sound very impressive.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:14 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
281 Posts
I forgot to tell you, I use a gearbox from a Extra 330, with ball bearings, this gearbox is easy to mod, just remove the brass and put in the 4x1,5 ball bearings. Remember there is some loss in the ESC, and I don`t now any brush ESC with a very low resistance, like YGE 4s or others brush less ESC. Can anyone tell me how to use a multimeter to see the amp draw. Itīs easy to changes the 9 t cog, if you have a puller, it is a press fit to the SX motor. I see others do with reamers and so, no needs.
John
johnkielsen is offline Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:21 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
well I love it!!!and I will defenitly be pre ordering this airplane

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:35 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnkurt View Post
Anyone know the release date? I was about to pull the trigger on a UM P-51, this one definitly will be my next if the RD isnt next year :P
this site say end of this month

http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/parkzone-...380-2057-p.asp
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:38 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britnkurt View Post
US side is early March according to HH.