SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:20 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2626 View Post
I just mocked up a prototype of a 2-to-1 1S harness so you can use two of your existing UM batteries in parallel for the Mosquito.

Pix below - see my blog for more details! Available immediately on my site.

Thanks,

Glenn

PS - thanks to Butter_Fingers for suggesting this product a few days ago!
Would 2 180 hyperions perform better and have more flight time with this than one 240 hyperion due to weight?
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vapor View Post
Thanks for the pic and the link glenn2626. that's exactly what I was thinking of making.
Someone has already ordered one - that's definitely a record for me, an order for a product within 5 minutes of putting it up on my site!

The timing was strictly coincidental - Butter_Fingers asked me about a product like this early last week, and I said I'd get to it someday soon, figuring the Mossy was a perfect use for it, but that it hadn't come out yet. I had a break tonight and figured I'd better get one done, as I'd read it was hitting the street.

So I literally lucked out on posting this right in the middle of a battery discussion...

Thanks all, and hope you all enjoy the product.

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:31 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Would 2 180 hyperions perform better and have more flight time with this than one 240 hyperion due to weight?
"Perform better" is subjective, "more flight time", not so much.

Of course two 180's in parallel is the equivalent of 360mAh, with the same C rating.

So a 360 will of course last longer than a 240, assuming they both can handle the load.

But the extra weight is the fuzzy part. For some people, they may think the plane now performs like a pig, and not worth the weight. Others may notice it but not be bothered so much, so not a big deal. For toodling around all trainer-like, they may not notice the performance difference, just the extra flight time.

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:47 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
mosquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS475 View Post
I understand getting the elevator and rudders to work on a twin boom aircaft is a challenge, although HH should be able to come up with a nice solution...

I don't understand the licensing issue however... Did HH not produce an E-flite P-38 some years back? So they must have paid then. And a UM P-38 would sell unbelievably well IMO, especially considering how popular their other UM's have become. P-38 has such broad appeal, it would be just as big a seller in Europe as in the States.

I wonder how well the Mosquito will do here in the US... it obvioulsy will do well in the UK and Canada, but it doesn't have the instant recognizability of a Mustang, Corsair, Spitfire or P-38. Unless you are a warbird buff or history buff of course.

My two cents.

Joe
Very popular aircraft in the U.S.! Fast, manueverable, many variations...a good aircraft crosses all borders of appreciation. Also popularized in two movies made in the US.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,965 Posts
Went to the lhs to fly tonight and couldn't resist, a mosquito snuggled up to me and persuaded me to take it home. We fly indoors there, but it's not a great place to fly - stuff in the way and 12' or so ceilings. One guy flew his, crunched it a bit, but nothing serious. Everybody else decided best to wait till we can get outside. Local shop got 8 in - all gone but one when I left.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Dont know abut the hyperions, but two of my turnigy 160s and a y harness add about 1 gram.

I happen to have 2 180 hyperions shipping my way at the moment. When they arrive I'll time them and post the results along with the cheapo turnigys and eflite 120s.

Anyone know if the new 250 can be charged on the old parkzone charger? (with an extender cable of course) also, anyone know if one has to turn the amps down on the mossie charger when charging the smaller batteries?
Darth Vapor is offline Find More Posts by Darth Vapor
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:08 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vapor View Post
Dont know abut the hyperions, but two of my turnigy 160s and a y harness add about 1 gram.

I happen to have 2 180 hyperions shipping my way at the moment. When they arrive I'll time them and post the results along with the cheapo turnigys and eflite 120s.

Anyone know if the new 250 can be charged on the old parkzone charger? (with an extender cable of course) also, anyone know if one has to turn the amps down on the mossie charger when charging the smaller batteries?
Cool I am very interested in the results!
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:10 PM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Me too. if it would JUST STOP RAINING!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,965 Posts
Just for grins I stuck a cheapie 160 trunigy in mine and ran it stationary varying throttle from about half to full on and worked all controls and it went for 4 minutes. That's not bad at all for 1 trunigy. I think 2 tp or hyp. 160's should work great.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:50 PM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2011
430 Posts
My mosquito sounds like it's on crack with all the hissing and buzzing going on when no server movement is present. I have a champ but this is my first micro with an ar6xxx product in it. Is that normal?

I also noticed if you are looking directly at the front of the plane the engine on the left comes on AFTER the one on the right. When i cut throttle the one on the left stops first as well. If i'm really slow on the up throttle the right motor will actually run and the left one sits still until a smudge more is applied. Is that something anyone else is noticing?
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:13 AM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnoT View Post
My mosquito sounds like it's on crack with all the hissing and buzzing going on when no server movement is present. I have a champ but this is my first micro with an ar6xxx product in it. Is that normal?

I also noticed if you are looking directly at the front of the plane the engine on the left comes on AFTER the one on the right. When i cut throttle the one on the left stops first as well. If i'm really slow on the up throttle the right motor will actually run and the left one sits still until a smudge more is applied. Is that something anyone else is noticing?
I've got 3 UM's the T-28,P-51 and J-3...they all sound like they are sending morse code while sitting still. Nothing to worry about. The two motors being out of sync may cause a stronger turn either left or right but should be easily trimmed out. In a perfect world you would want them to be exact but hey....oh well. Again I don't think it will be an issue for concern.

Just my 2cents....

p.s then again you could give it to me and I'll run some tests to confirm there is no problem
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:15 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Picked one up this evening. It flies like it's tail-heavy, and that's with a Hyperion 240 mAH 25C cell with JST connector + hand-made JST-to-PZ adapter in the nose. It flies faster and heavier than any other PZ micro. Power-off, it has a steep, but manageable glide slope. Lower the throttle and pull back on the stick causes it to mush forward, and then drops a wingtip. It isn't much in the aerobatics department. It rolls slightly better than the Trojan, and lumbers through loops. However, it's harder to fly than the Trojan, due to higher speed, and the fact that it's rather twitchy around the center of the sticks (that whole flying tail-heavy thing.)

In short, it excels in being a reasonably scale Mosquito.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:19 AM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
The sounds are perfectly normal. my p-51 does the same thing too. The motors on my Mosquito both start turning at the same time no matter how slow my throttle moves and both stop spinning at the same time. Does one side feel "tighter" when you turn the props by hand? I havent opened the mossie, but if its like the p-51 there is a plastic bolt holding the prop shaft in the gearbox which could be over tightened, adding excess friction.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:22 AM
USA, CA, Altadena
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
Lots of people are commenting on the tail heaviness. maybe its asking for a bigger battery?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:28 AM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
In regards to being "tail heavy" Is that after checking the recommended CG or just "stuff it 'n' fly it" results?
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Last edited by maxwellmark; Feb 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM.