HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,995 Posts
I believe with the motors, you just put a reverse voltage on it and it should spin backwards since it's brushed. If I remember correctly, that's the way it is done for r/c trucks and those motors work just fine for a long period of time under some heavy abuse.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Apr 2002
398 Posts
Hurry guys...still waiting for some lucky trigger happy youtube dude to do a vid review one of these in 'real' life. It's Sat (D day +1), someone has to have one in their hands by now!
butter_fingers is offline Find More Posts by butter_fingers
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
I believe with the motors, you just put a reverse voltage on it and it should spin backwards since it's brushed. If I remember correctly, that's the way it is done for r/c trucks and those motors work just fine for a long period of time under some heavy abuse.
Problem with that is that the fingers may wear out quicker, the micro motors dont have proper brushes. Under normal rotation the fingers are pointed the same direction as travel, by reversing the motor the shaft will be pushing against the fingers, which COULD reduce the motors life.

Just checking the colour of the wires may not really tell us much - there is a chance that PZ could have used Black and White wires for both motors...
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
Hurry guys...still waiting for some lucky trigger happy youtube dude to do a vid review one of these in 'real' life. It's Sat (D day +1), someone has to have one in their hands by now!
It's Friday where I'm at, but I second the motion for someone to post a vid of opening and reviewing the maiden!

Isn't there someone around Chicago who has got one in their hands already??
represent is offline Find More Posts by represent
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
Loose Nut behind the ..Sticks?
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
nope still waiting on fedex to deliver mine to me.... hurry, hurry, hurry!!!!!
Xargon321 is offline Find More Posts by Xargon321
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
Looks like they are just reversing the polarity on the motor below is taken from the mossie manual i just read it online

When looking from the front, the left propeller turns clockwise and the right turns
counterclockwise. When propellers do not turn correctly, reverse the polarity of the motor plugs on the Receiver/ESC board.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
it has two mustang motors so double the power one would think it will be faster, BUT! it is also bigger than the other micros time will tell

cheers chuck
Since the full scale Mossie had twin Merlin V-12's, that would be funny if this scale version just uses two of the UM P-51 motors with longer leads (thus the unique SKU!) Nice!!
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 2009
28 Posts
Gahhhh I'm in Chicago...playing the waiting game should be here today or tomorrow. But I just realized the tailwheel is not connected to the rudder but is still steerable!! But the charger clamp hookup things suck...Can the charger be powered off of batteries?
hoondiggi95 is offline Find More Posts by hoondiggi95
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:26 PM
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
dont think so but it looks like it can use the ac adaptors from eflite like the 4 port charger can

also the tail wheel is hooked up to the rudder if you look around the control horn for the rudder you see the landing gear wire taped around it
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2002
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargon321 View Post
nope still waiting on fedex to deliver mine to me.... hurry, hurry, hurry!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoondiggi95 View Post
Gahhhh I'm in Chicago...playing the waiting game should be here today or tomorrow. But I just realized the tailwheel is not connected to the rudder but is still steerable!! But the charger clamp hookup things suck...Can the charger be powered off of batteries?
Bahh....both of you guys are NOT being proactive. You HAVE to track the truck down, pull it aside, force open the doors, and demand your box ASAP!
butter_fingers is offline Find More Posts by butter_fingers
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Looks like they are just reversing the polarity on the motor below is taken from the mossie manual i just read it online

When looking from the front, the left propeller turns clockwise and the right turns
counterclockwise. When propellers do not turn correctly, reverse the polarity of the motor plugs on the Receiver/ESC board.
Could still be two different motors. Think about it, if somebody connect the motor with the wrong polarity, the blade can take off and injure somebody. So it could simply be a safety guide to make sure that if somebody plug a motor, they do plug it correctly.

On the other side, that would simplify assembly and make a lot of sense to have brushed motors that can spin both ways by just reversing the polarity like most D.C. motors do. We will have to keep a tab on which motors blow more often though, just in case.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Well I still haven't received my shipping email from HH...I preordered in the beginning of this month. I called them yesterday, and they said it should be shipping today, but where is my notice?
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:39 PM
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
Bahh....both of you guys are NOT being proactive. You HAVE to track the truck down, pull it aside, force open the doors, and demand your box ASAP!
it would show up right after i left the house to look for the truck they way my luck goes and because they are requiring a signature it would not be delivered..... no, no, no i must sit here, i must be patient, i must........ARRRGHHHHHH *runs out the house and starts looking franticly for a fedex truck*
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,893 Posts
Quote:

Let's hope they have come up with a different motor then. As others have said, reversing the rotation of the present motors with the brush system they have would seem not be a good thing. The friction against the brush would put at least some force in the direction of rotation and the design of the other motors I have seen would not take well to rotational pressure in the wrong direction, it would try to force the brush harder against the surface instead of maintaining the preset spring pressure of the design.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:48 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
We will find out soon!
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88