HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:19 AM
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined May 1999
248 Posts
Solved my tail-heavy problem by putting in a 600mAh battery. It still flew great, and now has some semblance of stability. I think it could still be a little more nose heavy, but this is fine. And it lasted 17 minutes before LVC!

Unfortunately I dumb-thumbed it on the second flight. Took to long to decide which way to turn after a roll towards me, and crashed into a tractor. These sports domes sure get small fast when you open up the throttle on this guy! It's going to need some reconstructive surgery on the left nacelle.
GoatRider is offline Find More Posts by GoatRider
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2012
103 Posts
Loneliness

Well Goatrider, seems I have a friend here.

In clear and successful effort to tend towards stupidity I performed acrobatic manoeuvers in windy conditions and close to the ground. Acrobatic in my case meaning probably a roll.

The ground went closer in such way that this plane and the ground entered into a form of intimity.

Which was to the great displeasure of my left nacelle which decided to separate from the rest.

I had to take all this back in pieces back home. Ordered a new shaft fearing vibrations and undertook to restore the foam using steam.

After receipt of the prop shaft I put everything back but realised then that although I did my best to restore the foam to previous state, the thrust lines were not equivalent. My left nacelle was angled three to five degrees up compared to the right one. When I started the Merlins I also realised that the vibrations I was fearing were still there, depite the new shaft.

Further examination of the propeller revealed the blades of the propeler were not aligned and I tried to reduce misalignement by gluing firmly the slightly bent blade to the nose cone. That was an improvement and the next test demonstrated limited vibrations.

I went out to the field putting some left aileron trim to compensate the mismatching thust lines and sent her in the air.

She tracked not so badly and in fact I had to put back aileron trim to previous state. She seemed not to much sensitive to the thrust line and that was good news.

So should you experience the same situation, do not despair and keep flying (gluing).
Speedy Gonzales is offline Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined May 1999
248 Posts
I comfort myself with the fact that the electronics are more than half the value of the plane, and will most likely survive a crash that totals the airframe. I used to scratch build (more than 15 years ago), and this brick is just begging to be stuffed into something like a Guilows stick and tissue kit.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, NJ, Lebanon
Joined Nov 2012
56 Posts
So I detroyed my mosquito. I was flying it well and over my house one day until I went to bring it down and let off the power too much. It went right through a gazebo we had in the back yard and was basically shredded.

I loved the plane but the truth is that I didn't have the right controller or enough room to fly it in my yard.

How much are the electronics in the plane worth? Will I get top dollar for them here or on ebay?
Dennist73 is offline Find More Posts by Dennist73
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined May 1999
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennist73 View Post
How much are the electronics in the plane worth? Will I get top dollar for them here or on ebay?
Dunno how much the electronics are WORTH, but it would cost $60 to replace the brick from HH. Then there's also 2 aileron servos, and a couple motors and gearboxes.

I see the single ESC version of the brick is selling for $25 on eBay. So somewhere between there I should guess.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Nov 2012
103 Posts
Wind

Today was windy again. 13 knts established, gusting 22.

I went to the field and decided not to fly.

However, do not ask me how, the Mosquito went off the box, the transmitter was started and the lipo found its place behind the guns.

so I put my fingers on the sticks, -1 C these days, and that was a hand launched take off.

I was worried so I mostly tried to stay level and upright. I pushed the CG a little bit aft compared to my previous flights and it helped. I guess I was a little bit nose heavy.

I was relieved after touch down and a 15 minutes flight; I could not feel my fingers anymore, packed and went back home.

Very happy indeed.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:06 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
Today was windy again. 13 knts established, gusting 22.

I went to the field and decided not to fly.

However, do not ask me how, the Mosquito went off the box, the transmitter was started and the lipo found its place behind the guns.

so I put my fingers on the sticks, -1 C these days, and that was a hand launched take off.

I was worried so I mostly tried to stay level and upright. I pushed the CG a little bit aft compared to my previous flights and it helped. I guess I was a little bit nose heavy.

I was relieved after touch down and a 15 minutes flight; I could not feel my fingers anymore, packed and went back home.

Very happy indeed.
Fed the addiction a little? Huh?..
Cocg is offline Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:58 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,092 Posts
Speedy,

You got a nose heavy Mozzie
Wish mine was but then I suppose I'd have a hard time using my 500s...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
Joined Nov 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Speedy,

You got a nose heavy Mozzie
Wish mine was but then I suppose I'd have a hard time using my 500s...

Tony
Well, she is somewhat nose heavy considering the 500 mAh batteries. I must be cautious not putting them to close from the hatch. The Eflite 250 is another story.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
103 Posts
I have missed one third of the pleasure

It was snowy today, 14 knts established, gusting 19, so limited turbulence. The wind was quite steady.

Once at the field I told myself:

Those little wheels you have never used, fearing a disaster at take off or landing, why don't you use them today?

These were my first (ever) rolled take off and landings.

I was amazed how beatifully she would start climbing into the sky and how much the wind would help.

That was even more true for landings. The wind allowed me to stop in a meter or less. One of the landings was a mere touch down with no roll.

Of course I did nose her over (gently) when I missed the lane and went into the grass, but without any damage.

I could not stop and put two lipos for a 30 minutes total flight time.

I feel I have missed something not daring starting and coming down to the ground all this time.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Hello All. Just wanted to post my experiences with the Mossie. This was my first RC Plane purchase and my trainer. Just had to have the twin engines.

It's a very good trainer and I ended up steping up to the spitfire. Wanted something that could handle wind so I could fly at times when there was wind. Where I am there is no wind/little wind only in the early morning hours. The only upgrade I have are TP 325mah 65C batts that let me fly for 12mins if I want.

This past weekend I got a 808 #18 keychain camera mounted thank to the advise of Turboparker.

Posted them to youtube if anyone wants to take a look.

The first day I flew in the morning there was some 6 mph winds. I was determined to fly even though I had never flown the mossie in winds like this and it was my first day flying with the camera. The mossie really got bounced around but I ended up getting used to the wind half way through the flight. Nice video when I got used to it.

Here are the links. I made vids with and without music. I know some don't like music in the vids and I am sure some people wont like the music choice. Think my current favorite is the marsh lands.

Park Flying - day 1 (6mph wind)
Park Flying w music (6mph wind UM Mossie TP 325mah 65C) trimmed.AVI (5 min 33 sec)
(Music)
Park Flying (5 min 57 sec)
(No music)

Marsh Lands - day 2 (Calm)
Marsh Lands (4 min 40 sec)
(No Music)
Marsh Lands w music (4 min 40 sec)
(Music)

Field Flying - day 2 (Calm) had to fly again
Field Flying (5 min 32 sec)
(no music)
Field Flying w music (5 min 6 sec)
(Music)
Strider21 is offline Find More Posts by Strider21
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Strider,

Welcome to the Mossie 'Photo Recon' club!

Enjoyed your clips. Great job for your first recon missions! Looked like she may have been a bit nose-heavy, though. The nose should only drop slightly when you pull the power back, and it should only drop moderately during the turns. There should be enough elevator authority to execute a decent flare before touchdown. You may want to try moving the CG aft 2-3 mm & see how she behaves on a calm day. To keep the nose level during the turns, try coordinating a touch of up-elevator with the rudder & ailerons.

Also - thanks for posting the clips with & without music. Very few people go to the trouble to do that. I generally prefer to hear the aircraft, but I liked your choice of music. The guitar work reminds me of Steve Morse, who happens to be one of my favorites.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the kind words.

It was also kind of a new plane to me with the camera and landing gear on. I normally fly all my planes without the gear to get better performance and I fly over grass so gear isn't needed.
I will try moving the camera back a bit next time I go out, probably on the weekend in the early morning hours.
I want to try flying around that park again as there was a large variety of things to photo graph (community center, homes, salt flats, fields, and a bit of the ocean in the distance. I can't wait for one of the mornings with 0 fog. Hopefully it will be before the fields turn brown due to the end of the rainy season.

The music was Joe Satriani, been picking up his stuff recently. On my streaming Joe station sometimes I get to hear Steve Morse mixed in. Good stuff.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider21 View Post
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the kind words.

It was also kind of a new plane to me with the camera and landing gear on. I normally fly all my planes without the gear to get better performance and I fly over grass so gear isn't needed.
I will try moving the camera back a bit next time I go out, probably on the weekend in the early morning hours.
I want to try flying around that park again as there was a large variety of things to photo graph (community center, homes, salt flats, fields, and a bit of the ocean in the distance. I can't wait for one of the mornings with 0 fog. Hopefully it will be before the fields turn brown due to the end of the rainy season.

The music was Joe Satriani, been picking up his stuff recently. On my streaming Joe station sometimes I get to hear Steve Morse mixed in. Good stuff.
I look forward to seeing more of your videos. BTW - which mountains were in the background?

Satriani. I should have known. Another one of my favorites. Ever listen to G3 - Live In Concert, with Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson & Steve Vai? Speaking of Steve Vai - I saw him play with Dweezil on the Zappa Plays Zappa tour. Was an excellent show.

I'm also an old die-hard Dixie Dregs fan. If you like Steve Morse, check out the Dregs. The Dregs were one of the best bands of all-time.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
The marsh lands - those are mostly hills near the Don Edwards and Coyote Hills parks. Those border the armpit of the ocean in the SF bay area. Lots of wildlife reserves and salt ponds in the area.
A really nice looking place. I like going there. Got a couple spots out there I want to try flying to get more vids.

park flying - you would likely be looking at Mission Peak the most. There are also some hills in Palo Alto you can see. You may even catch a glimpse of shoreline Amp Theater, looks like a big white circus tent. Also noticed what looks like a big salt pile next to the cluster of salt ponds

Field flying - is pretty much the same as the park flying just about 1 mile down the road. I think this spot would be much better if there was no fog and you could see across the bay.