HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:50 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Just maidened mine and I had to give it full right trim just to keep it level,original batteries made it nose light so some 500s did the trick. Anyone else had this problem.
megadaz is offline Find More Posts by megadaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadaz View Post
Just maidened mine and I had to give it full right trim just to keep it level,original batteries made it nose light so some 500s did the trick. Anyone else had this problem.
Congrats on the maiden!

Most of the UM Mossies are tail-heavy. Many of us are using larger batts to compensate. Regarding the trim - did you make sure that all control surfaces are mechanically trimmed for zero deflection, per the instructions? If not, do that first. Then zero your tx trim & take her up again.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,375 Posts
Tail heavy Mossie

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadaz View Post
I haven't had the right drift problem but my Mossie has been tail heavy since I got it. I've put 3 one quarter oz weights in the nose and forward fuselage area to keep the nose down and have mechanically adjusted the elevator for more nose down trim. Finally got it to fly level. I tried a larger Hyperion 550mAh batt and it allows me to remove 1 of the 3 weights.
Don
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
133 Posts
Flew her again yesterday in windy conditions; 10 knts winds gusting 20. But that was on a large field, so moderate turbulences.

I took her quite high this time so I could recover in case it was tossed. And tossed it was twice but I had room, so did not crash .

All in all 30 minutes of very nice time because she gave you the sense of how nice she could fly under calm conditions still staying upright under rough conditions. CoG was set a little bit forward an helped a lot.

The compliments go to the plane rather to the moderate skills of the pilot.
Under these conditions I did not even try to loop, roll or whatever else. Flying her high caused some orientations issues and did not wanted to increase them.
Speedy Gonzales is offline Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:35 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Sorry, but the brushless motor was a false alarm. Turns out that the motor won't work with the factory gearing & the UM-sized props.

Joel
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:35 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,770 Posts
Too bad
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:11 PM
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined May 1999
248 Posts
Just flew mine on Friday for the first time, it was quite tail heavy. Might as well throw a bigger battery in there, any recommendations?
GoatRider is offline Find More Posts by GoatRider
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:28 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
Just flew mine on Friday for the first time, it was quite tail heavy. Might as well throw a bigger battery in there, any recommendations?
I put two bats in parallel with a harness from RC Connectors..
Cocg is offline Find More Posts by Cocg
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined May 1999
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
Thabk you guys for the tip of using a 600mah lipo

this one makes the engines run smooth, it fits pefect and the CG its ok

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20385

So I have a lot of batteries of this size from my Quadrotors. How do I adapt the connector? I don't really want to solder a different connector into the plane until I've seen how it flies.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:22 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
Hyperion 550. Lots of thrust, higher top-speed, and they're usually good for around 300 cycles at 5c charge before they start to fade away when cared for properly.

Get an adapter from Glenn at RC-connectors. He does excellent work & provides great customer service. Plus, he's a fellow modeler.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,965 Posts
GoatRider,
RC Babbel, Horizon and Glenn at RC Connectors sell the adapter that will mate JST to UM.
Gary

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-lead-BLH3126
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Last edited by Gary Hoorn; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention Glenn at RC Connectors
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined May 1999
248 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Man I wish this thing was brushless. It flies quite well for the brushed setup it has but imagine.. One can dream right?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:21 PM
I can fix that!
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
I haven't had the right drift problem but my Mossie has been tail heavy since I got it. I've put 3 one quarter oz weights in the nose and forward fuselage area to keep the nose down and have mechanically adjusted the elevator for more nose down trim. Finally got it to fly level. I tried a larger Hyperion 550mAh batt and it allows me to remove 1 of the 3 weights.
Don
I haven't read the thread from start to finish, so stop me if this is old news, but I dealt with the need for nose weight by drilling out my broken cannons, and replacing them with black painted, brass tubing. I have a second, stock nose to use with my heavier batteries, that don't need the extra weight. As an extra bonus...I don't snap off my guns anymore.
doug.wagner is online now Find More Posts by doug.wagner
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:51 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,375 Posts
Broken cannons

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner View Post
I haven't read the thread from start to finish, so stop me if this is old news, but I dealt with the need for nose weight by drilling out my broken cannons, and replacing them with black painted, brass tubing. I have a second, stock nose to use with my heavier batteries, that don't need the extra weight. As an extra bonus...I don't snap off my guns anymore.
That's a good solution to the broken cannons. First thing to go in a nose-in crash!
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member