SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
T-28 has a similar flying experience as thw champ, its great. Befote you fly I suggest yoy switch. Ive always prefereed.elevator.and ailerons on the right stick becuase thats how planes w/o yokes are and so are the collectives on helis. Its an ok choice, but yoir reasons are misguided.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, NJ, Lebanon
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
Thanks guys for your responses. I had the UM T-28 in my hand and put it down and bought the Mossie. I bought on emotion instead of smarts. I won't make any changes to the plane and I'm leaning more now to selling it for a four channel that is a little more docile like the UMT28 or another 3 channel back yard flyer.
Dennist73 is offline Find More Posts by Dennist73
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennist73 View Post
Thanks guys for your responses. I had the UM T-28 in my hand and put it down and bought the Mossie. I bought on emotion instead of smarts. I won't make any changes to the plane and I'm leaning more now to selling it for a four channel that is a little more docile like the UMT28 or another 3 channel back yard flyer.
Dennist73,

You're on the right track now. Get a UM T-28 and learn it. It's a great little airplane, a good step up from the Champ, a good trainer for 4 channel (if you take it easy at first), pretty forgiving, and fun to fly.

If you can afford to keep your Mossie, I'd suggest you do that 'cause it's a really fun bird to fly and not hard once you get used to 4 channel. She's beautiful in the air, and I love the sound of her twin motors on a low, close fly-by!

What's fun in this hobby is growing in skill and setting goals. You can pick an aircraft that you know is beyond your current skill level and then work towards being able to fly it. Then when you feel you're up to it, you get that aircraft...fly it... celebrate...and really learn it's flight characteristics.

And then you can pick another one to work toards! You never stop growing and learning and "reaching". The only person you're really in competition with is yourself.

Have fun!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2011
806 Posts
Question: How does the Mossie fly without her LG? A bit faster, I'd expect. Less tail heavy? Any change in CG? Just less drag?

I fly my UM Spit almost exclusively w/o her LG and she looks better, flys faster, and handles better, especially in wind. Grass landings are a breeze. How about the Mossie? Has anybody experienced any problems with props or engine nacelles or nose cannons on grass landings?

Thanks!

Tom
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:35 PM
Port Orchard Washington
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
those silly little nose cannons always seem to break on landing involving the nose, i lost one nose cone from the propeller on a grass landing because it was never really glued on otherwise have fun it will work just do something different with the guns on the nose cone
gaexcalibur is offline Find More Posts by gaexcalibur
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:43 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Question: How does the Mossie fly without her LG? A bit faster, I'd expect. Less tail heavy? Any change in CG? Just less drag?

I fly my UM Spit almost exclusively w/o her LG and she looks better, flys faster, and handles better, especially in wind. Grass landings are a breeze. How about the Mossie? Has anybody experienced any problems with props or engine nacelles or nose cannons on grass landings?

Thanks!

Tom
W/out gear... Flys noticably more agile and quicker.. No real sense of CG change.. Try it..!! Just keep to a slowish land flare up and softish spot, and you will not experience damage to props, spinners or anything..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:00 AM
United States, NJ, Lebanon
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
I gave in a decided to give the Mossie one more try. There was a window of about an hour or so this morning where there was no wind. It was the calmest morning in quiet some time. I took the Mossie up for two flights in my backyard. I was able to fly it in gentle circles using the elevator and aerolons.

As with learning the champ, and being a beginner you have to remember to be light on the controls. It didn't sink in until this morning.

Anyway, it flew gracefully and slow, in the same place I fly the champ. It's a great cruiser. For now I'm satified with just flying it in circles. My yard isn't big enough to do rolls and loops unless I fly over the house.

Did I mention that this is a great hobby? I remember drooling over the rc planes in the Sears Christmas catalog back in the 80's. It wasn't until I was 39 until I got the Champ and I'm obsessed.

The first thing I do when I wake up is look to see if it's windy outside. If I happen to be in the compay of my wife and daughter and if I suddenly disappear they know where to find me
Dennist73 is offline Find More Posts by Dennist73
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:19 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Dennist73,
Good to hear you gave the Mossie another try. She is a gentle flyer with few bad vices. As you gain experience learn to coordinate a little rudder in the same direction as the ailerons for smoother turns.
Best of luck
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
806 Posts
Dennist73,

I second Gary's thoughts. And while loops and rolls are fun, since the Mossie was a fighter/BOMBER, I personally think she looks a bit silly doing them. I love flying patterns and doing low passes and "bombing runs" close by me and over the pond I fly near. She looks so cool and sounds so sweet!

And don't feel bad. I started drooling over RC planes when I was a boy of probably 12. Never thought I could afford to get into the hobby until I discovered these electric park flyers about 5 years ago...at age 58! Better late than never!

Welcome to the "RC Addiction"

Tom
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:47 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Dennist73,
I second Gary's thoughts. And while loops and rolls are fun, since the Mossie was a fighter/BOMBER, I personally think she looks a bit silly doing them.
On a point of order - there were many versions of the Mosquito including fighters, bombers, fighter-bombers and reconnaissance aircraft. All of them were fast and all of them were agile & aerobatic. Geoffrey de Havilland, Jr. (DH chief test pilot) used to regularly display the aeroplane doing low-level slow rolls on one engine. This was no docile light bomber - it was a fast, manoeuverable hotship whose fighter varients had a stick rather than yoke for the pilot and which could outrun almost all the single-engined fighters of its day.

PDR
Peter D Rieden is offline Find More Posts by Peter D Rieden
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:33 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,188 Posts
The Mossie was a serious hot-rod! One time, a B-26 Marauder pilot challenged a Mossie to a race. Now, the B-26 was considered to be a real hot-rod back then. The Mossie passed the B-26 & left it in the dust. While flying inverted, with one engine shut down! The Mossie could hit 425+ MPH in level flight!!

The Mossie was also a capable dogfighter, and could hold its own against most modern fighters of the day. Many hundreds of Axis fighter pilots met their end while dogfighting with Mossies.

These planes were not the frail antiques that you see being flown gingerly at airshows today. Quite the opposite, actually. They were wild, fire-breathing, earth-shaking, hopped-up hot-rods. They were the Ferraris of the sky!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:41 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
My late friend flew them for the US Airforce for weather recon/path finder missions over Europe, They flew over Munich/Berlin/east germany/etc from england, unarmed in late 1944, early 1945.

You aren't going to do that unless you are sure nothing can intercept you.

Small radar signature and high speed was the key to its survival.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:41 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
I admire the solution DH used of using wood rather than metals because of wartime shortage. Everyone thought it would fail, that it was an archaic and outdated style of plane building. The simple solution of using wood ended up increasing performance, being cheaper, and an extremely plentiful resource, and it couldn't be seen by certain types of radar at far ranges! I love simple solutions that solve everything,like how in the space race America spent millions of Dollars in R&D making a pen that could be used in space,in zero g. The Russians just used a pencil.
The Germans were vocally jealous, they had exhausted Britian's supply of metal, so they used wood to create a plane that for a role that the Germans created, the schnell bomber, and Germany wasn't able to compete with it.
It's really one of the few cases of a jack of all trades, and master of all.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:46 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
And not to forget, Joel that it could carry a 4000lb bomb from England to Berlin (the B17 was limited to 3,500lb for the same distance) and it was made largely of balsa and ply!

A truly remarkable aircraft - and to think the British Air Ministry rejected it in October 1938 and DeHavilland had to continue development as a private venture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The Mossie was a serious hot-rod! One time, a B-26 Marauder pilot challenged a Mossie to a race. Now, the B-26 was considered to be a real hot-rod back then. The Mossie passed the B-26 & left it in the dust. While flying inverted, with one engine shut down! The Mossie could hit 425+ MPH in level flight!!

The Mossie was also a capable dogfighter, and could hold its own against most modern fighters of the day. Many hundreds of Axis fighter pilots met their end while dogfighting with Mossies.

These planes were not the frail antiques that you see being flown gingerly at airshows today. Quite the opposite, actually. They were wild, fire-breathing, earth-shaking, hopped-up hot-rods. They were the Ferraris of the sky!

Joel
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:05 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
it was the worlds first composite fighter.
the 'duramold' process was a plywood style thing, IIRC. it was (casium?) gloo (my editors wife response to, 'baby, how do you spell 'glue'?) and wood around a former.
they added ribs later, but it was pretty much a monoccuoe composite low observable fight/bomber.
(well, it would have been today. early rader used lower RF and picked up all kinds of flying stuff.)

really ahead of its time, construction wise.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull