HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:51 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
I don't mind flying my other planes in a bit of wind, but the mossie doesnt like it. The wind beats her around alot. If its calm, she is a dream to fly.
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,344 Posts
Has anyone tried GWS props on this plane?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby33 View Post
I don't mind flying my other planes in a bit of wind, but the mossie doesnt like it. The wind beats her around alot. If its calm, she is a dream to fly.
That's because the Mossie has an under-cambered wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Has anyone tried GWS props on this plane?
Which ones? None of the two-blade props that are a good match for the airframe will fit. Besides - all she needs for nearly vertical takeoffs & big, round loops is a good battery. In fact, she can still do a loop with a 17g keychain cam strapped to her belly!

Stock Mossie w/Hyp 240 cell.

Extreme deck-angle takeoff, aerobatics & inverted flight:

Hatcam - flying the UM Mosquito from my deck (6 min 9 sec)

4-foot takeoff from grass while carrying a 17g cam & climb to altitude:

UM Mosquito - on-board video from the yard #2 (6 min 56 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,344 Posts
Are the 2blades to big?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Are the 2blades to big?
Yup. The stock 110mm x 80mm 3-blade prop only clears the fuselage by 4mm, and the 5030 & 5043 are the only 2-blade GWS props that are a good match for these UM planes.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Nov 2012
103 Posts
Third flight

The first two flights went well but this one was a different story.
I felt more confident after successfully flying in some wind and decided that the very moderate winds of today should be a piece of cake.

So here comes the painful modesty learning process:

My second flight took place with 10 knts winds, gusting 18 knts but in an open field area. Today I decided to fly nearby my building with 5 to 6 knts winds but it was much more difficult.

The proximity of the building and of the trees created much more turbulences than the 10 knts wind in an open space.

So I must now consider both wind strenght an proximity of obstacles to evaluate the strenght of the turbulences.

All in all the Mosquito ended up her flight in a tree and, when landed again, I had to repair wing tips, elevator tips and consolidate the rudder. All this was done with hot water and tape and she will fly again.

Doing so I realised that the propshafts could be moved 1 and 2 mm in and out which worried me since I have read on this thread numerous stories of popping shafts or propellers.

Should I open up the nacelles to check or one would consider that it is normal functionnal clearance. If I have to open how do we remove the plastic exhaust pipes?

Many thanks for your answers.
Speedy Gonzales is offline Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Nov 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaexcalibur View Post
therefore you shall have a major crash because murphy's law says so, you said it now it will have to happen
Now I understand.

This is not a mater of wind or of newbeeness. I have just been cursed!

And I realise now that this thread is 666 days old!

Not a good day to fly.

Gaexcalibur, would you mind directing your curses to someone else's plane?

I am getting a little bit nervous.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:57 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
1mm of axial play in the prop-shaft is about right. There has to be some play to prevent binding.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Nov 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
1mm of axial play in the prop-shaft is about right. There has to be some play to prevent binding.

Joel
Many thanks to you Joel and to all those who shared information about setting up dual aileron, differential and spoilerons.

Undertook all these mods and the plane is a joy to fly. No more adverse yaw and very little rudder now for coordinate turns.

I flew her seven additionnal times resulting in 1.15 hours flight time, sometimes in 10 knts winds gusting 16 and all went fine.

I have noticed that once you have set spoilerons you could program them so you would lift them 1 mm or so as normal mode, not landing mode, which would somewhat reduce the tendancy to lift the nose in case of facing gust.

Another trick is, when possible, to fly her downwinf when it is gusty. So you would feel the gust before it hits the plane. If you are flying laterally to the wind you may lower a little bit the upwind wing which would help to stabilise the plane.

Caveman AS3X, for what it's worth...
Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; Dec 02, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, NJ, Lebanon
Joined Nov 2012
56 Posts
New mosquito owner

I've been a (very happy) owner of a Champ since August. I just picked up a Mosquito a few days ago. I may be a little over my head with it. It's not exactly a four channel trainer. I may decide to sell it before I destroy it.

But before I do so, is there a way to switch the rudder control from the left stick to the right stick, so that the right stick is rudder and elevator like the champ? I assume I have to open it up and change a connection.

If it's too much of a hassle I'll sell it or trade for another three channel plane like a mini super or one of the flyzone planes.

Thanks
Dennis
Dennist73 is offline Find More Posts by Dennist73
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Doing that will only teach you bad habits. The mossie is flyable only using rudder,but basically, don't switch it, it's like saying I want my sport car without a rev dial and SUV seating position and limited slip diff because that's how my tata nano is.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennist73 View Post
I've been a (very happy) owner of a Champ since August. I just picked up a Mosquito a few days ago. I may be a little over my head with it. It's not exactly a four channel trainer. I may decide to sell it before I destroy it.

But before I do so, is there a way to switch the rudder control from the left stick to the right stick, so that the right stick is rudder and elevator like the champ? I assume I have to open it up and change a connection.

If it's too much of a hassle I'll sell it or trade for another three channel plane like a mini super or one of the flyzone planes.

Thanks
Dennis
That's called mode 4. Most modern programmable transmitters can be switched between modes. The vast majority of pilots in North America use mode 2 - where the rudder & throttle are on the left stick. As AP said - don't do it. Learn to fly 4-channel the proper way, by using rudder, aileron, and elevator in concert to make coordinated turns.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Alright, in regard to what Joel said, you can fly mode 4, but you shouldn't change it between airplanes. The rudder on the champ induces a lot of roll, that's how a three ch plane works. While the mossie rudder does induce a lot of roll, it's not gonna fly well using the rudder like you do on the champ. The rudder is meant for yaw and ailerons for roll.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
You want the main lateral control - whatever it is - on the right stick - on the Mosquito that is the ailerons, on the Champ it is the rudder.

The Mossie is a fairly gentle four-channel flyer but you do need plenty of room to fly it. There are probably better choices for a four-channel trainer, though I can't think of any micros that would be better ones off the top of my head. Perhaps someone else has a good suggestion along those lines.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:58 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,920 Posts
I successfully used the UM T-28 as my aileron trainer. Same batteries as the Champ. I got the Mossy for Christmas. Had it out a couple of times and it seems more advanced than the T-28. I have to keep the speed up in turns and am playing with the expo to soften up the response.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member