HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
That's what I was afraid of...I really don't want to tear anything up or apart that doesn't need it. I suppose that I could just take the tail wheel off...
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
My Mossy and new batteries must be getting broken in...I definately notice an increase in speed over when the batts and plane were brand new...The plane really feels locked in...Loops are also larger without falling off more quickly as when new..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,316 Posts
Natch - the starboard engine siezed up - like someone threw sand into the gears. She did a power-on stall into an exciting nose dive. Got away with almost no damage but the starboard engine makes this terrible grinding noise when I turn the prop. Time for surgery!
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Natch - the starboard engine siezed up - like someone threw sand into the gears. She did a power-on stall into an exciting nose dive. Got away with almost no damage but the starboard engine makes this terrible grinding noise when I turn the prop. Time for surgery!
Just remove the engine "exhaust" output on the afflicted motor and the motor with gear box will be exposed...I'm betting that the plastic "keeper" that is located at the end of the prop shaft on the gear box has loosened up...This allows the prop shaft to slide forward, keeping the pinion gear on the motor and the main gear on the gear box from engaging each other...

Let us know what you find...

Kevin
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Just remove the engine "exhaust" output on the afflicted motor and the motor with gear box will be exposed...I'm betting that the plastic "keeper" that is located at the end of the prop shaft on the gear box has loosened up...This allows the prop shaft to slide forward, keeping the pinion gear on the motor and the main gear on the gear box from engaging each other...

Let us know what you find...

Kevin
Thanks for the suggestion. The gears look ok. There is a little play fore/aft with the prop shaft but the gears still mesh completely and all the teeth look good. It looks like the problem is in the motor; it binds once per motor revolution.

Edit: wow, motor sets are quite a bit cheaper at wholesaletrains vs HH ($12 vs $19)
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Last edited by jdwolters; Sep 28, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
You should have seen the maiden flight!!!...I released the model and it shot straight up, almost into a stall---I gave it full down and she shot straight down almost crashing...Realizing I had a tiger by the tail I managed to get the plane under control...I realized she was tail heavy but I didn't realize how much...When I got it I just did the TLAR method of balancing as it appered to be about 25% back and usually the instructions have a pretty conservative CG...My Sbach was so nose heavy that I had to mack cutouts for the battery like in the V2 Sbach...

I got rid of all my 1S stuff as well....But I do have a Champ on floats that will get a 2S conversion as well as a micro Mustang for 2S...The Mustang has a modified wing where I took an extra wing, cut it apart, and made a symetrical wing...The new colors will be the VooDoo P-51 racer from Callie Graphics...I got the Mossy for a VERY good deal and the twin engines appealed to me...I like this model a LOT!!!...Now, on to weathering the model as shown in one of the Mossy vids from HH on YouTube...

Kevin
Quote:
My Mossy and new batteries must be getting broken in...I definately notice an increase in speed over when the batts and plane were brand new...The plane really feels locked in...Loops are also larger without falling off more quickly as when new..

Kevin
Kevin,

Sounds like an eventful maiden, for sure! I was just telling somebody that flying a 3D plane with an aft CG may be a blast, but flying a tail-heavy warbird is an experience you really don't want to have. I've never known anyone who wanted to do it twice! Good job getting her back down in one piece! BTW - My Sbach was also extremely nose-heavy. I also extended the battery tray back to the LE of the wing, as they have done with the Sbach 3D. I agree - most of the time, the recommended CG is quite conservative on these UMs. The notable exceptions would be the Mossie & Corsair - which are typically tail-heavy enough to require a much larger battery or some nose-ballast.

Regarding the increased power after things loosen up a bit - I noticed the same thing, and I was using seasoned LiPos. The brushed motors definitely need to break-in a bit before they will produce full power, and high-quality LiPos nearly always get stronger as they break-in. I really enjoy flying the Mossie. In fact, it is the only 1s UM that I still fly with any regularity. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of yours after you complete the weathering.

So, you're the one who made the symmetrical UM P-51 wing. Cool! I wish all of the UM warbirds had proper airfoils. Bet she'll be a real screamer on 2s! She aught to look great in VooDoo colors as she 'rounds the pylons.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Joel---My Mossie now flies GREAT with a nickle in the nose hatch...I'm now using 400mAh Hyperion 1S batteries and I'm enjoying some very long flight times...This is the only 1S micro I have left in my stable...Once I got the CG nailed down she grooves as if on rails...When she was tail heavy the model was extremely pitch sensitive and inverted flight required only a breath of down elevator...I can now easily fly inverted circuits....

THANKS for your help with this model...Even though I've been modeling for 42 years every now and then you get a tiger by the tail which I did with this plane...Sorting it out by reading yours posts and others now has me flying a plane I truely enjoy...

Again---THANKS!!!

Kevin
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:00 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Alright i have an interesting problem to diagnose!
My mossie, at lower power the motor stutter and when they stutter the control surfaces seem to flutter or stutter at the same time, but as i raise the power the problem goes away. Which makes me think it has to do something with vibration, and as the throttle goes up and vibration starts to even out it goes away. I though it had something to do with my motor, but its weird that the control surfaces are interconnected, so i then though maybe my battery lead had a bad connection somewhere. Also, i tried many different batteries, same problem.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Just opened her up, the light on the brick flashes everytime is stutters. I would say i need new motors, but its affecting the servos also.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:17 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. The gears look ok. There is a little play fore/aft with the prop shaft but the gears still mesh completely and all the teeth look good. It looks like the problem is in the motor; it binds once per motor revolution.

Edit: wow, motor sets are quite a bit cheaper at wholesaletrains vs HH ($12 vs $19)
Use a magnify glass and look closely at the gear for damage or dirt stuck between the teeth.
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Joel---My Mossie now flies GREAT with a nickle in the nose hatch...I'm now using 400mAh Hyperion 1S batteries and I'm enjoying some very long flight times...This is the only 1S micro I have left in my stable...Once I got the CG nailed down she grooves as if on rails...When she was tail heavy the model was extremely pitch sensitive and inverted flight required only a breath of down elevator...I can now easily fly inverted circuits....

THANKS for your help with this model...Even though I've been modeling for 42 years every now and then you get a tiger by the tail which I did with this plane...Sorting it out by reading yours posts and others now has me flying a plane I truely enjoy...

Again---THANKS!!!

Kevin
Kevin, I must have some kind of sick addiction!
I don't care for a speed deamon but I love having lots of park flyers
now you have me thinking of getting one of these because yours sounds like it's running good and its a twin, and that's flippin cool to me..

is your mostly stock?
what and if any changes besides the bigger battery?
and how long are the long flight times?

thank you
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:24 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,906 Posts
Brushless,
Use a 1S 500mah in the nose and the Mossie balances perfectly. Gives good power and long flight times as well. I use the Eflite 500's with an adapter. I also setup separate ailerons so I can have differential and spoilerons.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Kevin, I must have some kind of sick addiction!
I don't care for a speed deamon but I love having lots of park flyers
now you have me thinking of getting one of these because yours sounds like it's running good and its a twin, and that's flippin cool to me..

is your mostly stock?
what and if any changes besides the bigger battery?
and how long are the long flight times?

thank you
Mine is all stock except for the battery...The Hyperion that I have on hand is rather wide, therefore I can't place the battery as far up in the nose as I would like..Because of this I had to add nose weight to get the Mossie to balance properly...I do have some Hyperion 320mAh batteries on hand that are not as wide as the 400's so I could slide this battery forward to get rid of some nose weight...But I wouldn't have 12 minute flight times...I wanted to see just how long I could fly and hit the LVC right at 14 minutes...

Kevin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,501 Posts
I regularly get 20+ minute flights, had a 30+ once!
Using a 120SR 500mAh battery, oh, and thermals
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I regularly get 20+ minute flights, had a 30+ once!
Using a 120SR 500mAh battery, oh, and thermals
GREAT to hear!!!...I could get more flight time from mine but I wanted to see how long the battery would last flying "normal"...You know, aerobatics, high speed fly-bys, etc...The twin motors sound awesome in a close fly-by!!!...

I sure would like to try some Bravo motors---Even if the one running in reverse didn't last as long as the other...Hmmm...I'm wondering---Has anyone out there tried to put the end cap with brushes from a stock motor to the end of a Bravo motor???...If this is possible then the problems with running one of these brushed motors is solved!!!...

I'm going to ask this very question in the Bravo motor thread...

Kevin