SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:54 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Thanks for the write up Joel, but I was just wondering how much weight people were adding prior to my maiden. Adding the dime looked close at the recommended 38mm.

Anyway, the maiden was successful. The weight of my battery was 8.33 grams plus 2.38 grams (including dime and tape) for a total of 10.71 grams. It still seemed a tad tail heavy so next time I'll try to make it weigh an even 11 grams.

I did have two older E-Flite batteries from my Blade Tandem Rescue helicopter which although physically look the same they weigh 0.8 gram less than the kit battery. Also, they clearly weren't up to snuff, as I could tell they didn't have the pull that the new battery had before the flights. I'll also need to keep flights under 3 minutes with these...IF I dare use them again...they are two years old!
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Everyone seems to use 500mAh+

The Mosquito can be very tail heavy, instead of adding dead weight just go for a huge battery and put up with the longer flight times!
what 500mah? it has the parkzone battery connector?
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
You do need a converter...

I use the the charge lead adapter, Joel quite rightly keeps telling me to make a proper adapter lead as my charge lead will be very lossy. It still works so I'm happy with it for now but I'm sure that I'm mising out on better power to weight ratio
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
what 500mah? it has the parkzone battery connector?

Hyperion's 550 mAh 120SR/mQX battery provides the most power of the cells that fit the battery compartment. Also - Hyperion LiPos are designed for 5c charging, and they usually last for 300 cycles or more @ 5c charge before they start to fade. At just $6 USD, the 550 mAh cell is also a real bargain: http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...li-p-6265.html

As SP noted - you'll have to either change the connector on the plane or use an adapter. Of course, changing the connector on the plane is the best solution. However, Glenn at RC-Connectors makes a low-loss adapter: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=350

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
You do need a converter...

I use the the charge lead adapter, Joel quite rightly keeps telling me to make a proper adapter lead as my charge lead will be very lossy. It still works so I'm happy with it for now but I'm sure that I'm mising out on better power to weight ratio
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hyperion's 550 mAh 120SR/mQX battery provides the most power of the cells that fit the battery compartment. Also - Hyperion LiPos are designed for 5c charging, and they usually last for 300 cycles or more @ 5c charge before they start to fade. At just $6 USD, the 550 mAh cell is also a real bargain: http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...li-p-6265.html

As SP noted - you'll have to either change the connector on the plane or use an adapter. Of course, changing the connector on the plane is the best solution. However, Glenn at RC-Connectors makes a low-loss adapter: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=350

Joel
+1 -- that's the ticket!
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
My new 'Skeeter should be on my front porch when I get home!!!...As a tribute to my new Mossy I watched 633 Squadron on NetFlix last night...Pretty good movie with actual high speed Mosquito flying through the valleys of England....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
My new 'Skeeter should be on my front porch when I get home!!!...As a tribute to my new Mossy I watched 633 Squadron on NetFlix last night...Pretty good movie with actual high speed Mosquito flying through the valleys of England....

Kevin
Kevin,

Wow, I had almost forgotten about that one! I watched it with my dad back in the 60s, but I have not seen it since then. The aerial footage is still considered to be some of the best that's ever been done. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'm going to watch it again.

Good luck with the maiden!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Kevin,

Good luck with the maiden!

Joel
THANKS!!!...A good maiden will take my mind off of my fickle acting Beast 3D...

Kevin
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Got the Mossy and made two flights...I'm sitting on the fence with this one...I don't know if the CG is off or what...I have my CG exactly in the middle between the spar and the cutouts for the aileron servo wires..The plane pitches up when it gains speed...When I lower the nose the plane doesn't settle in to level flight but pitches down...All of the servos are working properly...

I'm not a newby and have several micros...My Beast V1 and Sbach are more relaxing to fly...With the gear off I need way more down elevator trim than what I think is necessary given where I have the CG...If I can just get the plane to settle in to level flight without pitching up when gaining speed or nosing over at the first hint of down elevator I can get it dialed in...I'm thinking that the undercambered wing is part of the problem, causing the plane to nose up when advancing the throttle...I can easily do a throttle/elevator mix to counter this issue...

Does this plane really need a ton of nose weight???...And where is the consensus with the CG???...Are any of you using any expo???...

Kevin
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Hi Kevin...I am a new Mossie owner also. If I remember correctly, the CG was just ahead of the middle point where the wires cross to the motors. I started with a dime taped to the battery and a little down trim. Now I have a penny (U.S.) and a few pieces of tape to get the battery to weigh 11 grams, which is mounted as far forward as possible. I also have two older E-Flite batteries which weigh a bit less than the newer 1S 250mAh batteries so I taped a washer to each of those in addition to the penny. I still have a couple of clicks of down elevator, but it doesn't want to balloon anymore...except for the occasional wind gust.

I may increase the weight to 12 grams next time, although I pleased with the performance as it is now...mine only needs from 2-3 grams depending on which battery I use.
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Kevin,

Pitching up with throttle is a sign of a nose-heavy condition, while needing lots of down-elevator trim for level flight is a sign of a tail-heavy condition. Makes me think the incidence or thrust-line may be off, as some of the symptoms are similar. BTW - I have the CG set to 37mm & mine flies very well. There is no throttle/pitch coupling, inverted flight is easy (considering the u/c wing), there is plenty of elevator authority, and it glides fairly well for a twin-engine warbird.

Here's a clip of me flying it from my deck (watch for the inverted pass near the end):

Hatcam - flying the UM Mosquito from my deck (6 min 9 sec)

Here's some on-board video from my yard. My 'runway' was only about 6 feet long, yet the Mossie had no trouble getting airborne with the 15g camera. Spot-landing at the end:

UM Mosquito - on-board video from the yard #2 (6 min 56 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
Nice flying! I lost count of how many times I would have been climbing a tree if I were flying mine at your field.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:19 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Did anyone order from Miniaviation recently?

I ordered 5 of their 190s for the Mustang and 2 of the 300mAh mCPX for my Mossie about a month ago.

Oh well, after reading the past two pages of this thread, I realised that those probably won't do for the Mossie, but anyway...

Problem is that I didn't receive anything yet. Given that they ship from the UK and I live in Germany, it should've been here long ago. I wrote them an email recently, but no answer... time to get worried?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2009
167 Posts
Hi Bernhard,

Please email me again. I think i may have made a mistake.
richardbarnett is offline Find More Posts by richardbarnett
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Got the Mossy and made two flights...I'm sitting on the fence with this one...I don't know if the CG is off or what...I have my CG exactly in the middle between the spar and the cutouts for the aileron servo wires..The plane pitches up when it gains speed...When I lower the nose the plane doesn't settle in to level flight but pitches down...All of the servos are working properly...

I'm not a newby and have several micros...My Beast V1 and Sbach are more relaxing to fly...With the gear off I need way more down elevator trim than what I think is necessary given where I have the CG...If I can just get the plane to settle in to level flight without pitching up when gaining speed or nosing over at the first hint of down elevator I can get it dialed in...I'm thinking that the undercambered wing is part of the problem, causing the plane to nose up when advancing the throttle...I can easily do a throttle/elevator mix to counter this issue...

Does this plane really need a ton of nose weight???...And where is the consensus with the CG???...Are any of you using any expo???...

Kevin
Tamed mine with 500 Ma cell and I love it now! Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn