SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
A CG issue - ok, that makes sense. The in my UM Mustang did move forward a bit and I moved the battery back and tunneled the slot a little into the air scoop. When I switched to 2S the battery was heavy enough that resting in front of the air scoop was just right.

I was planning on using an SR120 500mAh battery. It seems like I can push it fairly deep into the fuse; maybe that will be enough to balance. I'll try to experiment before converting. At first, at least, I'll enjoy the twin gearbox sound.

Ps: the gearbox has a lot of downthrust; did you include that on your BL conversion?
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
A CG issue - ok, that makes sense. The in my UM Mustang did move forward a bit and I moved the battery back and tunneled the slot a little into the air scoop. When I switched to 2S the battery was heavy enough that resting in front of the air scoop was just right.

I was planning on using an SR120 500mAh battery. It seems like I can push it fairly deep into the fuse; maybe that will be enough to balance. I'll try to experiment before converting. At first, at least, I'll enjoy the twin gearbox sound.

Ps: the gearbox has a lot of downthrust; did you include that on your BL conversion?
I do not push 500 pack that far just enough to get cover on and flies to my liking.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:13 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
jd: i never did it, i was planning to, but the airframe areodynamics sucked big time. did not fly well enough to warrent a conversion. but i still want the balsa version.....
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,274 Posts
A balsa Mosquito on Brushless?

Do tell!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts
Hi all,

Does anyone know how much thrust the motor/gearbox/prop setup creates either individually or combined???

Additionally what is the motor can size???
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know how much thrust the motor/gearbox/prop setup creates either individually or combined???

Additionally what is the motor can size???
The Mossie uses the same 8.5mm motor, gearbox, and gears as the UM P-51, Sukhoi XP, T-28, F4U, Pole Cat, UMX Extra 300 3D, and the upcoming UM Spitfire. The only difference is that one motor has been optimized for reverse-rotation by changing the orientation of the brush assy. With a 5043 prop, each side should develop about the same thrust as an XP with the same prop. (Of course, there isn't enough clearance for the 5043 on the Mossie. I'm just using the 5043 as an example, since we have nearly four years of test data on the P-51-style motor/gearbox with the 5043 in the single-engine UMs.)

For reference, here are my static test results. I don't have any thrust data on the 3-blade prop, but we know that it is considerably lower than what we've seen with the stock two-blade prop on the other planes, and much lower than what we've seen with the 5043. (This is clearly evident with the F4U, which uses the same three-blade prop as the Mossie.) BTW - a single motor draws ~1.5A @ WOT with either prop.)

Mossie
Factory props

Conditions
Elev: 910' AMSL
Temp: 70 F
(RPM measured 30 seconds into the run on a freshly-charged battery, under natural light with a calibrated optical tach.)

Stock 250 mAh cell:
Port: 6720 RPM
Stbd: 6720 RPM

Hyperion 240 mAh cell:
Port: 6900 RPM
Stbd: 6900 RPM

Same motor & gearbox with a GWS 5043 prop:

6400 RPM; 54 grams of thrust

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i have some thrust figures (a full battery, esc and a thrust stand). a um p51 motor/gearbox with gws 5030 puts out 50 grams static thrust. i can run 2 off of on 3A brushed ESC from HK.

my mossie weighed in at 74 grams, and the motors could just barly hover the thing, so i assume it had at least 74 grams of static thrust, not accounting for drag from the air frame.

my rule of thumb for the pz 3 blades with 40 grams each. tho i have no data to back that up.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The Mossie uses the same 8.5mm motor, gearbox, and gears as the UM P-51, Sukhoi XP, T-28, F4U, Pole Cat, UMX Extra 300 3D, and the upcoming UM Spitfire. The only difference is that one motor has been optimized for reverse-rotation by changing the orientation of the brush assy. With a 5043 prop, each side should develop about the same thrust as an XP with the same prop. (Of course, there isn't enough clearance for the 5043 on the Mossie. I'm just using the 5043 as an example, since we have nearly four years of test data on the P-51-style motor/gearbox with the 5043 in the single-engine UMs.)

For reference, here are my static test results. I don't have any thrust data on the 3-blade prop, but we know that it is considerably lower than what we've seen with the stock two-blade prop on the other planes, and much lower than what we've seen with the 5043. (This is clearly evident with the F4U, which uses the same three-blade prop as the Mossie.) BTW - a single motor draws ~1.5A @ WOT with either prop.)

Mossie
Factory props

Conditions
Elev: 910' AMSL
Temp: 70 F
(RPM measured 30 seconds into the run on a freshly-charged battery, under natural light with a calibrated optical tach.)

Stock 250 mAh cell:
Port: 6720 RPM
Stbd: 6720 RPM

Hyperion 240 mAh cell:
Port: 6900 RPM
Stbd: 6900 RPM

Same motor & gearbox with a GWS 5043 prop:

6400 RPM; 54 grams of thrust

Joel
WOW!!! What a wealth of information Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
i have some thrust figures (a full battery, esc and a thrust stand). a um p51 motor/gearbox with gws 5030 puts out 50 grams static thrust. i can run 2 off of on 3A brushed ESC from HK.

my mossie weighed in at 74 grams, and the motors could just barly hover the thing, so i assume it had at least 74 grams of static thrust, not accounting for drag from the air frame.

my rule of thumb for the pz 3 blades with 40 grams each. tho i have no data to back that up.
Thanks for the input
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts
1 more question though. What is the prop shaft diameter???
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
1.5mm
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
864 Posts
I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread before, but I'm having a hard time finding it. The main gear wheels stick so much that it likes to nose over even when I just taxi the plane out at low speeds, what is the best solution to fix the sticky wheels? Do I need to remove them from the axle and make the hole larger?
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i for one just bent the gear slightly outwards.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,889 Posts
The problem on mine was the axle was flexing in the middle where the wheel was located. I slightly bent both of the outer wires to take the strain off of the center of the axle.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,538 Posts

After months of inactivity on the Un-Official Micro-Flyers Video Challenge thread, I think the time has come to create a new challenge thread, including revised rules, more challenge categories, and fresh new concepts. So I have created the new Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge thread to cater for all of the micro flying audience by adding 5 new challenge categories.

All of the challenge categories are as follows:
  • Helis (IN BLUE)
  • Helis 3D (IN LIGHT BLUE)
  • Quads (IN GREEN)
  • Quads 3D (IN DARK GREEN)
  • Planes (IN RED)
  • Planes 3D (IN ORANGE)
  • FPV also including the use of "key chain cams" and other micro recording devices (IN PURPLE)

Additionally I have added a Hall of Fame where you can compete to get your name on the podium in your respective flying class for the ultimate bragging rights.