Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:55 AM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot View Post
A Micro Heli? Come on...

No, seriously, I am totally NOT into Helis (not any more, I started with them) and I don't want any Especially no 3D Helis...

I don't care for any "mega" power, but I indeed want to have "massive" long duration, yes

That said, 300mAh are plenty enough, I'm just gonna buy 4 of those packs from MA and all is good.

Thanks and cheers,
Bernhard
Hello Bernhard

The last few days I have been reading this forum because I am deciding if I should buy the mosquito or not? I heard that you bought some 300 mah Nanotech batteries from Hobbyking and are looking for a adapter cable for it, I have the same batteries and I use them on my Parkzone UM P-51. The adapter cable that I use is a E-flite EFLA7002UM, that cable fits perfectly on the battery and the UM connector.

Hope that helps Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Thanks Sabastian!

I first thought that this cable was just an extension, so I went ahead and ordered the other adapter cable from the US... could've bought the EFlite cable locally, but well...

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:04 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,182 Posts
Get yourself a 120SR and use the JST charge adapter!

It's not the cheapest option but you will end up with an adapter cable, a 500mAh battery and a bonus helicopter
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
LOL!

That would be a fairly pricy cable and batt at around 120€... wouldn't wanna have the Heli... now if it were flybarless and had some scale looking fuselage we'd be talking
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
Also, the Eflite cable is designed for charging batteries - not powering planes. It is very lossy at the relatively high current that the Mossie draws, so it robs a lot of power.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Ok, thanks for that info! Now I am happy again I ordered my cable from RC-Connectors.com
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
New plane, no maiden

Natch. Fresh out of the box and one of the propellers is screwed on crooked.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Also, the Eflite cable is designed for charging batteries - not powering planes. It is very lossy at the relatively high current that the Mossie draws, so it robs a lot of power.

Joel
Ah hah. I was going to use of those too.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Ah hah. I was going to use of those too.
It's always best to avoid adapters - especially on a plane that draws ~3 amps @ WOT. But if you're going to use one, get it from Glenn at RC Connectors. His are lighter & they have a lot less loss. If you want to get maximum performance from this plane, switch it over to the red JST connector & use the Hyperion 550 mAh batteries that are made for the 120SR & mQX. If you're not up for soldering-on a new connector, shoot RCBabbel a PM & ask him to make you a few direct-fit Hyperion 320 cells with the UM connector. With either the Hyp 550s or 320s, you'll get way more thrust along with increased flight-time. Plus, the Hyperions are designed for 5c charging, which means 10-12 minute charges from the 80% discharge point. The Hyps also last for 200-300 cycles or more before they start to fade away - unlike most of the competition. And the extra battery weight solves the Mossie's slightly tail-heavy problem.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:05 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Sounds like a plan!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Natch. Fresh out of the box and one of the propellers is screwed on crooked.
Hope you didn't buy it from Hobby Town (still waiting to here back from Parkzone).
JFS61 is offline Find More Posts by JFS61
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:22 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
i order mine from horizon hobby.com and they have super helpfull. its like 1950 where the customer is all ways right vs ever where else, where the dollar is all way right.

i buy new mircos from them just cuz the service.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
I usually buy everything from HH but this time I had a bunch of Amazon dollars so I bought through them. I was going to replace the propeller myself but during bench testing I found that the rudder would slam all the way to the right once it reached about 50% input. It didnt appear to be physically stuck. After a fair amount of coaxing I got it to return to center. Full left to 25% right worked great but any more to the right and it would slam itself full right again and stay there. I figured this was a defective servo so I returned the plane. If all works out, I'll get a replacement.
Last edited by jdwolters; Aug 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Daydreaming of brushless conversion

Sure, it is ridiculously expensive but I've done other micro conversions so I've already got 2/3 of the parts. (I am aware of the difficulty and have a spare AR6400 Rx standing by.) I did 2S on the mustang but I think I would keep this at 1S with twin GWS 5030x3 props cut down a bit. These props come in both forward and reverse. I would run them on a couple of AP05's with XP3A ESCs.

I saw someone threaten to convert their Mossie, but I couldn't find an entry where anyone actually did it. Has anyone converted their Mossie to brushless? Who knows, maybe the twin gearbox noise will start to grow on me?

The 2S mustang is just incredible, by the way. (It also works on 1S, but you have to fly at full throttle.)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:44 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
i wanted to do the BL conversion on my mossie, but those gearboxs are hard to beat. there is very little room in there. a 1S BL gearbox (GB has the right kind of sound for a pistion, BL sound better in jets IMHO), but a 2S DD would have problems with weight and were to put the battery. the CG would be too far forward for a 2S battery in the nose. hence, the need to put it some where else, like the belly. tho it would look funny. and there is little room under the belly, thats more or less where the RX is.
then again is the problem of the brushed ESC only. i can be done, but PWM to PPM conveters are very simple to code in a uC, but most peopl cant do that. and PWM to PPM converters are hard to find.

so my idea was this: buy new mossie. sell rx. buy ar6400 rx. buy ap05 x 2, buy 1g 1S BL esc. install. but the blasted plane never flew right. it was slightly off, like the cg was wrong, or the elevator was lifting, or it had too much up thrust.

edit: by the way, im working on a 2S mustang, tho its a guillow 905
something with the pitch is not quite right. and the wing area is not scale. i want one, but i might just end up build one out of balsa, so i can arrainge everything inside like i like. foam may be king of tough and light, but it takes up a lot of room.

its almost 4am, and i guess im kinda rambling. sorry.
nemo
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull