HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:11 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,093 Posts
Good advice Joel, thanks!

I'll swap it to JST. I do use throttle management, only occasional WOT.
I too have noticed good flight times with my 3Sbach

SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
I thank everyone for all the good advice on the batteries, I looked up the JST to micro connector at Horizon Hobby and found it, then I checked with my local hobby shop and they have the connector in stock. And the E-Flite 500 mah batteries
A few weeks ago I ordered some parts and batteries for my planes from Hobby King, one item which I planned on using on my UMP-51 was the Turnigy Nanotech 3.7v 300 mah lipos with the larger connectors on them, has anyone tried these on the Mosquito, they are 50 mah more than the stock battery so they should also work quite well, I ordered 6 of them, they should be arriving in the next few days. I will have to make an adapter for the batteries, I have some micro extensions with female on one end and male on the other end and the charging cable for the larger connector batteries, I will just cut and splice some of the wires together to make the right connection.
I can try out my Nanotechs and then try out some 500mah to see what the difference would be.

Thanks sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:54 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,093 Posts
I've got some of the Turnigy 300s for my MCPX, I could do the same trick with them and use the eflite charge adapter to use in the Mozzie. Like Joel says though this would not be very efficient due to the losses, the only real gain would be the extra 50mAh.
They are not as heavy as the 500s either!

Let us know how you get on
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Hi Guys

I had another question about the Mosquito, has anyone tried to convert one to a JU-88, they look very similar with the two main differences being the tail and nose\cockpit area. The reason I am asking is that I have always been into German and American aircraft and now my favorite are the Luftwaffe planes. I think with a different paint job it could pass for a JU-88, most people watching where I fly would have no idea.
Any ideas?

Thanks Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
The only thing really to note is that it can be very tail heavy. Easily sorted with a larger, heavier, battery
I got out on a perfect night tonight to try out the recently suggested dual ailerons. Worked great. With the calm wind and good turning, I was finally able to figure out what else made the plane squirrelly. Man, is it tail heavy! You aren't kidding!

I'll try to pick up an adaptor and put my 120SR batteries in it. What short-term fixes are there?

I also find it a bit hard to land (OK, really hard to land), but that may also be a function of fighting its tail-heavy tendencies.
barthrh is offline Find More Posts by barthrh
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:28 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,093 Posts
Short term just use the charge adapter hat came with the 120SR.

The Mosquito is horrible to land with a rear CG, the elevator is far too sensitive and it balloons way too easy

I'm still using the 120 lead with mine, it was only supposed to be a temporary fix but it flew so well that I left it on there.
Joel has finally talked me into changing the lead on the plane to a mini JST. More power will be available which I hope to translate into even longer flight times

Btw, my personal best is well over 30mins on a stock battery!

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,093 Posts
Had a couple of nice flights with this the other day.
500mAh battery up front and it was still way tail heavy!

I think that this needs stripping down now and the wings beefing up, it has very noticable dihedral and will auto level. I actually did some Rudder only turns and it will fly 3ch

I think it is time to strip it down and try to lighten the tail. There must be some foam can go without sacrificing strength.

I would love to upgrade this to 2x 2S Brushless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
713 Posts
Quote:
Had a couple of nice flights with this the other day.
500mAh battery up front and it was still way tail heavy!

I think that this needs stripping down now and the wings beefing up, it has very noticable dihedral and will auto level. I actually did some Rudder only turns and it will fly 3ch

I think it is time to strip it down and try to lighten the tail. There must be some foam can go without sacrificing strength.

I would love to upgrade this to 2x 2S Brushless

SilentPilot,

I added a bit of lead weight in the nose...in the lower fuse in the front of the batt compartment. With RC Babbel's 240 pack, she flies just fine.

Still, there can be significant variation between individual planes. And it sounds like you're wanting to do a major upgrade mod. Love to hear how it turns out. Good Luck!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,093 Posts
I'll let you know!

The twin Brushless might be too much for the airframe, but then again WOT is optional right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:09 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
If I remember correctly, Mendo was working on a dual bl Mossie at one time. Haven't heard anything about it for some time, now. Not sure what happened. I'd love a 2s bl Mossie! I'd even make the inboard flaps functional to help slow her down on approach.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:13 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,093 Posts
Inboard flaps and micro retracts!

Are you listening HH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:20 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
497 Posts
Quote:
I'll let you know!

The twin Brushless might be too much for the airframe, but then again WOT is optional right?
WOT may be a option but it's a temptation that is too hard to resist.
Someone telling me I don't have to use all the throttle is comparable to my wife cooking brownies naked and telling me not to touch.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,093 Posts
Not to touch the brownies or her?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:54 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
497 Posts
Quote:
Not to touch the brownies or her?
Depends on how hungry I am.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:59 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
WOT may be a option but it's a temptation that is too hard to resist.
Someone telling me I don't have to use all the throttle is comparable to my wife cooking brownies naked and telling me not to touch.
Now, that is quotable! I'm still laughing!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member