SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:40 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
i have just one more question. lets say i get really comfortable flying the mossie in a open field. is it possible to fly it in a confined space about 160ft by 50ft (LxW) after getting comfortable with it?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
i have just one more question. lets say i get really comfortable flying the mossie in a open field. is it possible to fly it in a confined space about 160ft by 50ft (LxW) after getting comfortable with it?
If you switch the brick to separate Channels 2/6, switch the TX to flaperons and deflect the ailerons up 30% you could fly it around in an area that small and it would be stable and controllable.

Trying to fly a stock one with a 50ft short side would be pretty nerve racking that you would turn too tight and stall it.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:45 AM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
okay thanks.
Last edited by electricrc68; Sep 18, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:15 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Quote:
Agree with UNGN. Flying on a friends property 2 weeks ago. Field about 80ft wide. Hit the leaves of a branch extending out from the perimeter. Luckily it was high enough for me to have time to power off. Hit the grass with zero damage. I thought that area was just a little narrow to be real comfortable. Took up the T28 in the same area and had a blast! Did not feel restricted at all. So, there are definitely planes better suited for smaller areas.

Flying the mossie in an area as small as you suggest would be possible but probably not that enjoyable. I like to fly without being constrained by an area that makes you fly a repetitive pattern. BORING!
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Agree with UNGN. Flying on a friends property 2 weeks ago. Field about 80ft wide. Hit the leaves of a branch extending out from the perimeter. Luckily it was high enough for me to have time to power off. Hit the grass with zero damage. I thought that area was just a little narrow to be real comfortable. Took up the T28 in the same area and had a blast! Did not feel restricted at all. So, there are definitely planes better suited for smaller areas.

Flying the mossie in an area as small as you suggest would be possible but probably not that enjoyable. I like to fly without being constrained by an area that makes you fly a repetitive pattern. BORING!
okay thanks for the reply. i asked this same question in the t-28 thread since you didn't have any troubles in an 80ft wide area with the t-28.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Runway!

I have been practicing the hell out of landings.. on bitumen mostly succeeds on the nose chewing the guns off !!

Made this runway out of auto carpet, haven't got a photo of the Mozzie on the runway here is the T28, hones your landing skills and not quite so hard !!![/QUOTE]

Very cool! I've been think about this for a while. I have been considering the spongy rubber garage/exercise floor material for this use.
Your runway markings are great looking and very intelligent.

I think these ultra micros can really use some things that the larger park flyer models don't really need. The small scale presents handling and flight issues like wind susceptibility and tiny landing gear wheels that can be fouled by small blades of grass and stones. "Carry-in field furniture" like the portable (carpet) runway could become SOP for UM flyers.

Great post and idea!

Cheers & Blessings,
John
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Sep 22, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Sp
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:57 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,364 Posts
been flying my mossie a lot lately,one of my favorites to fly first to relax and last to wrap the day up.today was on last flight and the thing made a funny noise and started banking left.thought i blew a motor since i have been pushing these little brushed motors.shut power and managed to glide to a flat landing,went out and got the plane and saw the left prop and spinner was gone.thinking with the counter rotating props the stock prop is my only choice?anyone try anything diff?thx
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:35 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
some flying from yesterday hope you like!
Mosquito FPV (2 min 32 sec)
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
At our indoor flying sessions, I fly the Mossie in a single soccer court with no problems at all. And I don't use any aileron reflex. ROG takeoffs, two-wheel landings, and figure-eights too. I find it to be quite fun - but it's definitely not what I'd call relaxing.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:35 AM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
At our indoor flying sessions, I fly the Mossie in a single soccer court with no problems at all. And I don't use any aileron reflex. ROG takeoffs, two-wheel landings, and figure-eights too. I find it to be quite fun - but it's definitely not what I'd call relaxing.

Joel
Get a UMX Beast to fly and you'll find the Mossie relaxing.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
Get a UMX Beast to fly and you'll find the Mossie relaxing.
Scottmac,

Along with the UM Mossie, I currently own four UMX Beasts, two UMX Sbachs, four Sukhoi XPs, a UM Champ, J-3, and F4U - along with an assortment of larger-scale electric, nitro & gas planes. (Taught myself how to fly RC in '84.) My comment specifically addressed Electricrc's question regarding flying the Mossie in a 160' x 50' area. I've flown the XP & Beast in the same indoor soccer court as I flew the Mossie. The XP with a 5043 prop & Hyp 180 cell, and the Beast with a 5043 prop & homebrew Hyp 180 2s pack. I find the Beast to be much more relaxing to fly in tight quarters than the Mossie. The Beast can fly very slowly, yet remain perfectly controllable. The Sbach can fly even slower than the Beast. In fact - with the SFGs, the Sbach can fly even slower than the Champ!

I plan to fly the Mossie, Beast, and Sbach indoors this coming winter. I'm going to try shooting some indoor on-board video from the Mossie.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 27, 2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Scottmac,

Along with the UM Mossie, I currently own four UMX Beasts, two UMX Sbachs, four Sukhoi XPs, a UM Champ, J-3, and F4U - along with an assortment of larger-scale electric, nitro & gas planes. (Taught myself how to fly RC in '84.) My comment specifically addressed Electricrc's question regarding flying the Mossie in a 160' x 50' area. I've flown the XP & Beast in the same indoor soccer court as I flew the Mossie. The XP with a 5043 prop & Hyp 180 cell, and the Beast with a 5043 prop & homebrew Hyp 180 2s pack. I find the Beast to be much more relaxing to fly in tight quarters than the Mossie. The Beast can fly very slowly, yet remain perfectly controllable. The Sbach can fly even slower than the Beast. In fact - with the SFGs, the Sbach can fly even slower than the Champ!

I plan to fly the Mossie, Beast, and Sbach indoors this coming winter. I'm going to try shooting some indoor on-board video from the Mossie.

Joel
Wow Joel, impressive inventory, I've only been flying for two years. (taught myself on a Hobbyzone Super Cub). I've been a happy UMX Beast flyer for only a couple of months now and I find the mossie to be a great warm-up and cool down for the Beast. May I ask if what radio settings you are using for your Beasts? I fly my micros out in front of my house (I live across the street from a park) and find rog takeoffs a bit nerve racking on the tree lined suburban street even on the the factory recommended low rates. I'd like to figure out a way to program tri-rates on my Dx6i, and set some lower rates for takeoff and landings.

Also I find the Beast to be a nice step above the Sukhoi XP. Would you say the Sbach is a equally advanced step above the Beast?

Thanks,
Scott

Edit: Since this is the mossie thread please send reply in message form if you feel it appropriate.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Last edited by Scottmac737; Sep 27, 2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:58 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
Wow Joel, impressive inventory, I've only been flying for two years. (taught myself on a Hobbyzone Super Cub). I've been a happy UMX Beast flyer for only a couple of months now and I find the mossie to be a great warm-up and cool down for the Beast. May I ask if what radio settings you are using for your Beasts? I fly my micros out in front of my house (I live across the street from a park) and find rog takeoffs a bit nerve racking on the tree lined suburban street even on the the factory recommended low rates. I'd like to figure out a way to program tri-rates on my Dx6i, and set some lower rates for takeoff and landings.

Also I find the Beast to be a nice step above the Sukhoi XP. Would you say the Sbach is a equally advanced step above the Beast?

Thanks,
Scott

Edit: Since this is the mossie thread please send reply in message form if you feel it appropriate.
Scott,

I have a large enough yard, but there are powerlines on three sides of the cul-de-sac, and I have a 4' fence to clear on approach - just before I have to make a 90-degree turn in the middle of the final to land on the road. I just love ROG takoffs & I love greasing in landings - doing three-pointers, then two-wheel landings with the tail still flying - and a side-slip or two just for fun. I could shoot touch & gos all day long. In fact, I have done so on numerous occasions. So, I usually go to the club field even to fly the micros. Fortunately, it's only 6 miles away. I'm thinking about putting a hard-surface runway for micros in my north yard, which is about 320' x 150'. I could then fly my north, east, and south yards from one spot. I already do that - but I'm forced to hand-launch, which I am not fond of doing. See my blog for some on-board video from my Mossie & Champ. There are clips from my yard and from the club field. There's also a hatcam clip of me doing an ROG takeoff with the Mossie from my deck, and then flying between the trees in my south & east yards - with some aerobatics thrown in. I do love flying the Mossie. She's such a good flier, and she also makes a great micro-video platform. Plus, she flies much more warbird-like than the other UM warbirds.

My specific radio settings won't do you much good, as I'm flying with a Futaba 10CHP. I'm using full rates & 50% expo on ailerons, elevator, and rudder, and the end-points are set to +98%/-98% to help prevent servo binding. The aileron pushrods are in the second hole from the outside of the horn, and the rudder & elevator pushrods in the innermost holes.

The Sbach is not a step up from the Beast. They are both unlimited aerobatic hot-rods. They're just different tools in the aerobatic toolbox. I highly recommend both. Too bad the Beast has been discontinued.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:45 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,897 Posts
Joel, how about rolling out some vinyl floor covering. Shouldn't need much then you can put it away after.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Joel, how about rolling out some vinyl floor covering. Shouldn't need much then you can put it away after.
David,

I was thinking about a similar solution; however I'd really like something on which I can use the snowblower during the winter, so I can still enjoy shooting touch & gos.

Joel
RCG Plus Member