SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:22 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Has anyone replaced the elevator? If so, is it hard to do without damaging the fuselage? I am considering buying a used Mosquito that needs the elevator replaced...

Thanks for your advice!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:00 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
612 Posts
While back I broke a wing spar just inside the fuse.

I CA'd a 1" length of cf tape over the break. Radicalrc.com. Also ca'd a similar length on the other spar.

Has held well so far.
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Sep 02, 2011, 08:01 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
any of you been having problems with your mosquitos yet?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:29 AM
Our main weapon is surprise...
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Not me ... but mate .. read some of the thread! (Just a few issues ...lol)
But like I said .. not me .. probably had around 30 flights .. goes great.
Rowdy_b64 is online now Find More Posts by Rowdy_b64
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:33 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Had to fix the undercarraige so the wheels rolled properly. (See my post previous page).
Lot of folks have been looking at differences between the port & starboard engines in terms of RPM. From my own experience, I would say that the difference I am seeing is not enough to affect the performance. Very stable take offs into the wind, with very little rudder required.
I am not a huge fan of flying this in winds over about 5km. I have been flying in winds gusting to 15km and have had the mossie flying level 1 second and then flipped and flying inverted a split second later. Just a bit scary Think this has something to do with the wing shape/area? As it is a comparitively large wing area on a very light airframe.
Some folk have reported "ballooning" probs that may be COG related? I have not seen this but I do have the battery placed well forward.

Have I missed anything?

All in all, I really love this plane! It is the plane that is teaching me "scale turns" (And it looks SO nice doing them). It is also a good teacher when it comes to learning about carrying power on landings as if you try landing with too little power you will probably crash and burn?

So, a few probs reported on this forum. There is always fewer people posting about positives over negative experiences, yes?

I am real happy with mine and have not really flown anything else I own in the last 2 weeks
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
okay thanks guys. just wondering. i guess every plane has their flaws.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:20 PM
You're turning into a penguin.
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
maidened mossie today

did 2 packs today, both eflite 250's. I have a t28, a polecat and a champ i made with my first t28 guts. The mossie is the first micro I have had that makes me really fly it like a plane. That is to say, tip stalling recovery is not just "pull up and punch it", that just doesnt work with this guy.

I think this makes it fly much more scale, IMO, and I really like that.

I did put a penny under the batt for CG, will be going FPV eventually so thats fine.

I had also replaced the sticking non-rolly stock wheels with some Dubro lite foams at the LHS. they are slightly bigger diameter but roll nice and i figure they might help with landings when I transition from belly style (grass field today for maiden).

2 weeks ago I replaced my umt28 prop with a mossie tri blade prop. I can feel the extra mass in the triprop, and while i think there is less thrust (feel, no measurements made), there is plenty, and it makes the plane handle more scale. I mention this because that handling and practice turned out to be helpful prep for handling the mossie.

I bought it 2 days ago and had to wait until today to maiden, so meanwhile I read all the threads about it. I was worried I might not be able to handle it, I got the impression it might be squirrely and more than a handful, but really, its a good flying craft. A little more challenging than the other micros, not a first plane I think, but 3rd or 4th, sure.

now, somebody here has it, I know you do. Stop being stingy and wave that magic stick around that makes the afternoon wind go away. o.O
JetFighterDuck is offline Find More Posts by JetFighterDuck
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:17 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,755 Posts
I like my Mini-Mozzie!

As said it does encouage you to fly more scale like. I do do some aeros with it but it just dont look right! The main thing is to get the CoG well forward then it copes with quite a bit of wind just fine
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:05 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Well over a 150 flights on mine since I took delivery during the winter. Just had one of the motors quit....but this bird owes me nothing! Flew it in snow, sleet, freezing fog and 90 degree summer temps.

Great plane! I am going to buy another one
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Well over a 150 flights on mine since I took delivery during the winter. Just had one of the motors quit....but this bird owes me nothing! Flew it in snow, sleet, freezing fog and 90 degree summer temps.

Great plane! I am going to buy another one
okay thanks. sounds like you were having fun with it!
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:12 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,985 Posts
My motors were about to quit after 65 flights, so I went ahead and replaced them then. No problems since--fun plane, and I take it every session.
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
oh okay cool. how much wind can it handle? just curious.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:20 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,755 Posts
Quite a lot really if your only after scale like flying. I have a full size airfield to play with and regularly go out in 10+ mph winds
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:45 PM
Port Orchard Washington
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
ok finally maidened my mossy and here is my report. I used both the stock battery and a parallel set of batteries with a 25c rating so here goes. stock setup with no changes the plane was tail heavy quite obviously so. it needs more weight in the nose to cope with any kind of wind. two batteries in parallel works very well and will give a noticeable flight improvement but still needed more weight in the nose. day two added a couple of fishing weights into the nose and things are much better flies very nice and handled a breeze very well. I will say it is a very nice plane to fly scale flying is very nice and a lot of fun just dont expect mustang performance from a mossy. Larger and bigger batteries are a must to add weight in the nose. enjoyable to fly no problems looking forward to next weekend
gaexcalibur is offline Find More Posts by gaexcalibur
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:31 PM
1 hobby closer to divorce
United States, KY, Shepherdsville
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
Sounds like I may need to add this to my list for Santa...
R6Rider is offline Find More Posts by R6Rider