HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:11 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
thanks rowdy_b64

a few more pics from when she was a flying example....

hopefully the mail man arrives in 50ish mins with my replacement motors!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
[QUOTE=Mikecam;18917614]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecam View Post
Instead of getting into the whole story again I'd like to post the email I am sending to Horizon Hobby. Tells the story very well and please keep in mind I'm not looking to start a radio war. Nothing stirs a father more then to see his son hurting, all the fathers out there know exactly what i mean, and some of that made it's way into the email. I'm only human. Hopefully HH does the right thing. What that is right now I'm really not sure.

Update. Horizon is going to do nothing for me. They want me to send it back on my dime and stated that they will charge 1/2 hour minimum at $30 an hour. Sort of answer we Canadians get from American companys in the hobby business. Plane went in the garbage.

I've ordered a hobby king plane and clone Futaba RX so he can fly that with zero issues. And yes with Futaba there really are zero issues. I have thousands of flights in 4 years and not one glitch. For you guys that say you can't say never, well you have never used Futaba then. Sorry but you can keep your 2 channel non-hopping dms2. Funny how the new dmsX has the hopping feature Futaba has used for years.

Radio was from the MSR I won at a fun fly. The heli never gets more then 5 feet from the radio so i guess that's why it works.
Range check was 150 paces with ant. pointed right at the plane, no issue there. When it locked out it was 20 feet in the air, 20 feet out front. Should not have happened but then again do a search for spectrum lock it and you will see a whole lot of " I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED "

Sorry for my feelings but they are what they are, and it is from 4 years experience.
I read your letter... if I was the person that was in charge of reading and sorting the e/mail then I would have simply deleted it and not even responded not once did you sound genuine, you simply sounded rude.

if you expect service you can't be a bully.

but you didn't expect any service did you... you just wanted to yell at someone.

good luck with the kid, I hope he's more mature than you
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:35 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,071 Posts
Here's mine:

Already flew FPV. Props to ChanceAU for the inspiration on the mosquito. (if it doesnt load, accept the certificate)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:34 PM
All Electric
St. Louis, MO. USA
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
I have had a constant problem with the left propeller spinning off shaft. Screeching followed by detachment in mid-air. I would have thought the threading on the shaft was the opposite direction of the motor direction but the prop still comes off. Tried a new prop, same thing even with a tough of CA. Anyone one else frustrated like this?
Cabertoss is offline Find More Posts by Cabertoss
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:36 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabertoss View Post
I have had a constant problem with the left propeller spinning off shaft. Screeching followed by detachment in mid-air. I would have thought the threading on the shaft was the opposite direction of the motor direction but the prop still comes off. Tried a new prop, same thing even with a tough of CA. Anyone one else frustrated like this?
I have not had any problems in which you describe with many flights with original motors and props. You need to be sure you are tightening in the right direction (which I am sure you know) If you use CA, I don't see how that could come off. I have never heard of this problem

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:47 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
Quote:
This is the same problem Iv had. your motor is duff! as for the prop spinning off. you just need to manage the throttle in dives ect. to stop it wind milling in flight.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:38 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,979 Posts
Quote:
I just had this very problem, after about 55 flights. I lost the prop and have ordered a replacement, so I don't have any "tips" to share yet, but just so you know it's not just you . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:46 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
i put a drop of thread lock on before screwing the prop on. seems to be holding well. and like i said before, throttle management is a good idea too. you need to scrub of speed to stop that prop from wind milling off its shaft.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
I'll be honest... I fly at full throttle 90% of my flights (with the exception of the champ which I fly about 60% full) I've had to replace motors on all my ums at least once cause of this and never once have I lost a prop... well one time but it wasn't in flight, had the motor leads plugged in... it sounds to me like some how your propshaft has spun the threading out of the prop and is causing it not to be able to hold any more... I would suggest a new shaft and prop to eliminate all chances of this happening again and like chris said, the loctite sure won't hurt
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:57 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
I'll be honest... I fly at full throttle 90% of my flights (with the exception of the champ which I fly about 60% full) I've had to replace motors on all my ums at least once cause of this and never once have I lost a prop... well one time but it wasn't in flight, had the motor leads plugged in... it sounds to me like some how your propshaft has spun the threading out of the prop and is causing it not to be able to hold any more... I would suggest a new shaft and prop to eliminate all chances of this happening again and like chris said, the loctite sure won't hurt
its because the mosquito runs 1 motor CW and the other CCW. so the right motor is always trying to tighten on the thread whilst the other is loosening. you wont have this problem on single motor aircraft.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
ahhhh makes perfect sense... for some reason this makes me really want a mossie now ^^
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:09 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
its great fun flying the mossie! esp when i prop flys off and you have to make some emergency actions to get it back and land!
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:26 AM
All Electric
St. Louis, MO. USA
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
Thanks folks for the suggestions. I was not sure if both shafts had the same thread direction even if one motor was spinning the opposite direction. I will say I have been able to control it down to a soft landing even with one propeller on it.
Cabertoss is offline Find More Posts by Cabertoss
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:21 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
Quote:
Thanks folks for the suggestions. I was not sure if both shafts had the same thread direction even if one motor was spinning the opposite direction. I will say I have been able to control it down to a soft landing even with one propeller on it.
I'm pretty sure the threads are different for each side. If I remember right, they have a different colored back nut or shaft. There is something to distinguish them just can't remember what. At work now, so can't check.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:31 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,671 Posts
Has anyone converted their Mozzie to run without contra rotating props?

I've not had any problems myself but I can understand why the left blades undo due to the torque on the thread so if it starts playing up on me I'll just fit 2 RH motor setups and see how it flies...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install