SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:50 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Nice flying there in your vid chancesAU.

Please work on your landings
btw what FPV setup do you have? Surely the mozzie cant lift that much but you had a HUD! Were you just recording or actually flying FPV?
Hi, FPV setup is a 200mw 5.8ghz VTX from fpvhobby.com and also their 1gram camera, both these can run direct off a 1cell lipo so I run 2 separate lipos in my mossie.
What you mean by a HUD?
Always wear the goggles from takeoff to landing
I have a vid where I go 1.2km away and a few others on my YT page.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:18 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
No damage to the wing at all. Arguably it's a good thing the pods being a weak point, as they sacrifice themselves to save the wing, and a repair to the pod is a lot less critical than a repair to the wing.
Hmm, it seems I spoke too soon. A very innocuous crash today (hardly really a crash at all) resulted in a broken wing on the side I'd previously broken the pod. I can only assume I had damaged the carbon reinforcement which has now snapped, and the wing also broken at that point.

As somebody else on this thread said, fly, crash, repair!

Has anybody replaced the carbon rod in a wing successfully?
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:38 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
595 Posts
aracer,

cartwheeled the Mosq. a while back, broke the wing in two, including the carbon fiber rod.

I spliced using carbon fiber tape and CA. feels very strong. flew 4 batteries this morning, held just fine
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:48 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Hi, FPV setup is a 200mw 5.8ghz VTX from fpvhobby.com and also their 1gram camera, both these can run direct off a 1cell lipo so I run 2 separate lipos in my mossie.
What you mean by a HUD?
Always wear the goggles from takeoff to landing
I have a vid where I go 1.2km away and a few others on my YT page.
any chance you can link me to the items you used for fpv??
and maybe a pic of you mosquito set up.
being able to fly this thing fpv would be great fun!

little idea i had for you. maybe fitting the mini fisheye lens.... giving you a wider view. that was you may be able to see a bit of the mossie nose/wings ect?
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:17 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
any chance you can link me to the items you used for fpv??
and maybe a pic of you mosquito set up.
being able to fly this thing fpv would be great fun!

little idea i had for you. maybe fitting the mini fisheye lens.... giving you a wider view. that was you may be able to see a bit of the mossie nose/wings ect?
Sure thing, I actually just got the fisheye in the mail today, it looks really nice! but very wide, going to try get a fly in tomorrow.

Camera
Video TX

So to power that stuff just get a 1cell lipo connector from the hobby shop / king and solder it all up, Its too easy.

Feel free to PM me if you need some more info.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:35 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcharge View Post
Hi guys. I'm coming from flying a champ and a super cub. I wondering what you guys suggest. I'm trying to decide between the micro mosquito or the micro t-28. Which will I have a easier time learning 4 channel on?

I like the mossy being almost double in size? but what are the glide characteristics of the mosquito?

Thanks for any input!
Geno
As mentioned....UM T-28 would be a great one to learn 4 Channel. It is forgiving which is one of the reasons the USAF & Navy used the full size one a lot for a trainer.

The UM Mossie will glide.....but it is all about maintaining airspeed....airspeed....airspeed right to and including the landing.
Comparatively, when the center of gravity and trim is set up correctly on the UM T-28 you can almost settle/float it onto the ground like a tethered box kite
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jul 25, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:11 PM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
772 Posts
Quote:
Sure thing, I actually just got the fisheye in the mail today, it looks really nice! but very wide, going to try get a fly in tomorrow.

Camera
Video TX

So to power that stuff just get a 1cell lipo connector from the hobby shop / king and solder it all up, Its too easy.

Feel free to PM me if you need some more info.

awesome thanks for sharing the info
on the ground i guess i would need a 5.8GHZ RX and some goggles or monitor, oh and power.....? infact il pm you about this....
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:17 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
As mentioned....UM T-28 would be a great one to learn 4 Channel. It is forgiving which is one of the reasons the USAF & Navy used the full size one a lot for a trainer.

The UM Mossie will glide.....but it is all about maintaining airspeed....airspeed....airspeed right to and including the landing.
Comparatively, when the center of gravity and trim is set up correctly on the UM T-28 you can almost settle/float it onto the ground like a tethered box kite
Another vote for the T-28, as a 4-channel trainer. I love my Mosquito and fly it every session, but the T-28's more forgiving.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:23 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Just got the wide angle lens for the mossie...

Parkzone UM Mosquito FPV - Wide angle lens test (3 min 17 sec)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:38 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
772 Posts
Awesome video! Wide angle really changes the look! love the glimps of the mosquito shadow to! the low fast passes look like your on a raid!
and the high altitude is cool too! the fish eye puts a curve on the earth!
top video once again! its really pushing me to fpv the mosquito now!!!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:53 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Hehe thanks, the new lens has made it much more fun to fly!
Reminds me of a gopro kinda... only problem is that its a little nose heavy now, need to get some smaller lipos for the video system.
Over here theres a law that says anything under 100grams isnt classed as a model airplane bwhahahaha... Kinda want to go into the city and fly it around but im too chicken hehe.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:06 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
772 Posts
Quote:
Hehe thanks, the new lens has made it much more fun to fly!
Reminds me of a gopro kinda... only problem is that its a little nose heavy now, need to get some smaller lipos for the video system.
Over here theres a law that says anything under 100grams isnt classed as a model airplane bwhahahaha... Kinda want to go into the city and fly it around but im too chicken hehe.
HAHAH nice law
the fish eye is really cool. have you seen the larger scale mosquito fpv on youtube by testflight (i think the channel is)
i wonder if that would be an option. just some simple wire and build window frames. giving that internal cockpit perception ???
how is the additional weight on you mosquito? noticeable?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:51 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
HAHAH nice law
the fish eye is really cool. have you seen the larger scale mosquito fpv on youtube by testflight (i think the channel is)
i wonder if that would be an option. just some simple wire and build window frames. giving that internal cockpit perception ???
how is the additional weight on you mosquito? noticeable?
Yep, flitetest have some cool vids, I dont like anything in the view personally hence I chose the mosquito
I dont notice the weight too much but im used to flying overweight small models I guess. I like the CG far forward with a bit of up elevator trimmed in, I find it can fly slower and doesnt randomly stall.
Ive been using 160mah lipos for the 2nd battery but I have some 110mah lipos also and theyre 1 gram lighter which should cancel out the lens
Looks pretty windy tomorrow but its all sitting here ready to go.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:41 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Just got the wide angle lens for the mossie...
Also love the shadow! Very nice. Did you had a hard time to adapt (distance, height) with the new lens? Or was it simpy easier to fly because you had a larger field of view?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:56 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Also love the shadow! Very nice. Did you had a hard time to adapt (distance, height) with the new lens? Or was it simpy easier to fly because you had a larger field of view?
Thanks! I love chasing my shadow, also glorys... I didnt know "they" were called that until someone on RCG enlightened me

Well my heart was pounding when I first threw it and I spent the 1st flight just testing it out, flying a couple of meters (I think) off ground and buzzing some trees. On the 2nd flight it already felt very natural... going to the LHS to get some more lipos for the mossie tomorrow hehe.
I think its easier to fly now as the old lens was way too narrow, this new one isnt ideal but its SO much better than the original one.