SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2011, 09:45 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Are you using the ailerons as flaps or spoilers?

Flaps doesn't work and increases the stall speed. You want spoilers if you aren't already doing this.
What % spolierons do you have set up?
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:02 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
What % spolierons do you have set up?
I have 35% and becomes very stable at low speed.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:04 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
771 Posts
Quote:
Are you using the ailerons as flaps or spoilers?

Flaps doesn't work and increases the stall speed. You want spoilers if you aren't already doing this.
well i was using flaps.... as i thought this would be correct....
so i should be using spoilerons then

il change it back and have another go.

thanks
Chris
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,487 Posts
Flew my Mossie a half-dozen times this weekend. We had some great weather early in the morning both days. My preferred pack is the Tenergy 500mah. It flys for 10-20min and perfect balance. Another club member had a much larger BH Models Mossie and I got a pic of our planes together. He crashed on landing but it's repairable.

Other than batteries I have not done anything to this plane, she flew right out of the box and continues to this day. We have a number of glow flyers at the field and they keep asking me what glow motors would fit this!
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Last edited by wyldkrd; Jul 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:07 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
well i was using flaps.... as i thought this would be correct....
so i should be using spoilerons then

il change it back and have another go.

thanks
Chris
When you lower the flaps, it becomes balloony and doesn't have a predictable glide slope... not what you want when you are trying to land.

Deflect them up and the plane becomes very solid and easy to fly at slow speeds with a much more predictable glide slope.

A good rule to follow is "Never use tip ailerons as flaps. Period"
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:29 PM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
771 Posts
Quote:

A good rule to follow is "Never use tip ailerons as flaps. Period"

i shall remember this!
i found it so hard to get her down on the landing strip! il switch it back and have another go!
thanks
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:27 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
I've tried as much as 50% and 60% spolierons, which seems to fly just fine, though a bit of a newbie pilot and not really sure if there's any advantage over 35%. Is nice to have got over my initial issues with flying the Mossie which resulted in lots of crashing - I was trying to fly with a cheap RTF transmitter though, and I think all the extra features available with a DX6i help to tame it a lot.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
771 Posts
I have swapped my dx6i for the cheapo for a few flights on a few micros and it really does make a difference! so much more control!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:57 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
Does the Mossie use the same 1S batteries as the other UMs in terms of the connector?
I have a number of Hyp 160, 180, 240 and was wondering if they can be used.

What is the best battery option on this plane? Is there an adapater for running multiple smaller 1S packs?

Trying to decide on a new UM to pickup - between the Mossie, UMX SBach, P51, etc. Already have the T28 and F4U. Looking for something new to use the same Lipos but has a bit better performance in light wind.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:56 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Does the Mossie use the same 1S batteries as the other UMs in terms of the connector?
I have a number of Hyp 160, 180, 240 and was wondering if they can be used.
Yes, the Mosquito uses the same 1S connector as the other Horizon 1S brushed micros.

Quote:
What is the best battery option on this plane? Is there an adapater for running multiple smaller 1S packs?
The Hyperion 240 cell would be your best option.

Quote:
Trying to decide on a new UM to pickup - between the Mossie, UMX SBach, P51, etc. Already have the T28 and F4U. Looking for something new to use the same Lipos but has a bit better performance in light wind.
The SBach is a 2S plane with huge control surfaces. It is both extremely fast, and extremely agile. The Mossie isn't quite as fast, and not nearly as agile (it's more aerobatically inclined than the Trojan, at least,) although it is certainly much faster than any other brushed 1S micro that Horizon makes.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:54 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
Yes, the Mosquito uses the same 1S connector as the other Horizon 1S brushed micros.

The Hyperion 240 cell would be your best option.

The SBach is a 2S plane with huge control surfaces. It is both extremely fast, and extremely agile. The Mossie isn't quite as fast, and not nearly as agile (it's more aerobatically inclined than the Trojan, at least,) although it is certainly much faster than any other brushed 1S micro that Horizon makes.
Thanks. I know the Sback is a totally different beast, just really looking at options for another UM size plane to I can fly at the same field I use the others at and also make use of existing lipos.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Thanks. I know the Sback is a totally different beast, just really looking at options for another UM size plane to I can fly at the same field I use the others at and also make use of existing lipos.
i fly my sukhoi in some pretty high winds for a micro. you best bet would be the su26xp or the new pole cat....

i wouldnt fly the mossie on anything less than the 240mah pack that came with it. my 190's almost killed the thing... but its not actualy that bad in the wind.... just got to watch out on the down wind turn. mine dropped quite a bit!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:50 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
I have 35% and becomes very stable at low speed.
Do you just flip the switch for the spoilerons when landing and thats it? I never really had an issue landing withought and spoilerons. I do land on grass...just raise the nose and plop.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:39 PM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2005
771 Posts
Ok I have spoilerons on 45%....... it was so much Easyer bringing the mosquito into line and down on the runway! had some really nice touch and goes......until!

1prop (stbd) flew off and up! my mossy went into a fast flat spin. luckily no damage!
I did have a noise prior to separation. it sounded like it was the gears spinning to fast and almost vibrate/screech.... is this the screech of death? or is it just from my loose prop?
any ideas?
also if it is the screech of death. what size are the mosquito motors? will Sp2's fit?
Cheers Chris
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:58 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
Ok I have spoilerons on 45%....... it was so much Easyer bringing the mosquito into line and down on the runway! had some really nice touch and goes......until!

1prop (stbd) flew off and up! my mossy went into a fast flat spin. luckily no damage!
I did have a noise prior to separation. it sounded like it was the gears spinning to fast and almost vibrate/screech.... is this the screech of death? or is it just from my loose prop?
any ideas?
also if it is the screech of death. what size are the mosquito motors? will Sp2's fit?
Cheers Chris
The length of the wires...plus the direction of one of the brushed motors. You would need to get both...
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten