HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
F18
Registered User
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
ok thats cool. 190mah should give me ok flight times tho? right?
Two things that you might want to check before flying.
Check the CG with the lighter 190mAh battery if you have not already done so. You may need to add a little nose weight to compensate.

Try bench testing the plane with the 190 mAh battery at full throttle for a minute. Some of these smaller capacity batteries will have a current/voltage sag with the load of the two motors to a degree that it causes the LVC circut to cut the motors early. You don't want to have that happen immedately after you hand launch the Mossie.
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jul 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
29 Posts
I have flown many flights on my Mosquito wothout (amazingly) any crashes and it is a very sweet airplane to fly and looks gorgeous in the air. The other day though part way through my second battery the aircraft started rolling violently and I only just managed to land it in one piece. Upon investigation the right prop spins up normally in sync with the left until half throttle but then vibrates badly and slows down. It seems like the gearbox is slipping. I have not had time to take it apart and look at the prop shaft and motor/gearbox assembley yet and wonder if anybody else has had this problem?
Britpilot is offline Find More Posts by Britpilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
Registered User
UK
Joined Sep 2009
167 Posts
If you want to try your Miniaviation cells or any other UM cells in the Mosquito, try putting 2 cells in parallel. You would need to make a little wiring adapter that connects the 2 +ve and 2-Ve terminals of the cells together. This gives you a 3.7 volt pack with double the capacity of one cell. The two cells should hopefully help you get the CG right without ballast.
richardbarnett is offline Find More Posts by richardbarnett
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 04:12 PM
F18
Registered User
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britpilot View Post
I have flown many flights on my Mosquito wothout (amazingly) any crashes and it is a very sweet airplane to fly and looks gorgeous in the air. The other day though part way through my second battery the aircraft started rolling violently and I only just managed to land it in one piece. Upon investigation the right prop spins up normally in sync with the left until half throttle but then vibrates badly and slows down. It seems like the gearbox is slipping. I have not had time to take it apart and look at the prop shaft and motor/gearbox assembley yet and wonder if anybody else has had this problem?
Britpilot....I have had one prop strip it's theads enough that it would spin freewheel with loss of thrust. I was able to reset it with a dab of CA and screw it on tight past the stripped portion of the prop hole

I did have a spur gear on one of my other UMs that would slip forward on the prop shaft and either miss the pinion completely or spin freely on the shaft. Again I had to tack that back into place with a dab of CA.

Hope it is an easy fix for you!
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jul 14, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:00 PM
Registered User
chulian1819's Avatar
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
Failing in what way? If it is sticking at full throws you should open up the nacelle and check for dirt on the teeth of the gears, then apply a touch of lubrication - that should get it going.
Thanks guys, a bit of electronic cleaner + silicon spay did the trick BUT the aileron start moving up and down any clues?




also with some batteries, when I put full throttle, the engines quit on me
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:15 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
also with some batteries, when I put full throttle, the engines quit on me
That is the batteries. Hyperion 240's are the solution to this problem.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:31 PM
F18
Registered User
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819 View Post
Thanks guys, a bit of electronic cleaner + silicon spay did the trick BUT the aileron start moving up and down any clues?




also with some batteries, when I put full throttle, the engines quit on me
Is the random aileron movement (glitching) and the engine cut out all happening while using a particular battery?

Just a thought....I have had that happen when a 1 cell lipo battery's capacity and current output have been comprimised. The load the two motors on the Mossie puts on a battery and the number of recharges eventually renders them useless in that plane. Try a fresh battery. Use the one that is giving you problems in another UM with only one motor....that battery will probably work great with less load.
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:18 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
Lberry.88's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Seems that the a low battery can cause odd things to happen with some batteries. Mark the batteries that cause you problems and keep an eye on them. I have a few that will only give me 3 or 4 mins of flight time. When i use them and throttle up the aileron servos chatter. All odd, but never anything serious.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:05 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Is the random aileron movement (glitching) and the engine cut out all happening while using a particular battery?

Just a thought....I have had that happen when a 1 cell lipo battery's capacity and current output have been comprimised. The load the two motors on the Mossie puts on a battery and the number of recharges eventually renders them useless in that plane. Try a fresh battery. Use the one that is giving you problems in another UM with only one motor....that battery will probably work great with less load.
i just got my mossie and threw a 190mah pack in to check it out. seems i was having this issue too! il be sticking to the bigger pack for this aircraft. the wobbly ailerons are a little scary....
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:45 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
1 other question. i have set the brick for flaps/ailerons
how do i go about setting it up correctly? so far i have the ailerons moving correct and then i hit the flap switch and i have spoilers :S
do i need to open up the mossie? and re wire the servo lead?
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:21 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
Don't worry, just worked it out. Just switched CH2-6
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
F18
Registered User
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
i just got my mossie and threw a 190mah pack in to check it out. seems i was having this issue too! il be sticking to the bigger pack for this aircraft. the wobbly ailerons are a little scary....
Yeah....I,ve experimented with some lower capacity batteries in the Mossie and if the C rating is high, close to the C rating of the supplied 250mAh you can sometimes get away with them but you obviously get shorter flights. But it all depends on the health of the battery. The suppiled battery for the Mossie is a 250mAh 20C.....and I am sure the manufacurer determined that it is the bare minimum capacity for a two engined UM like the Mossie. So you are always taking a risk experimenting with batteries of lower capacity/ C rating. I keep reminding myself....after a few mishaps to go up not down in battery capacity no matter what brand of battery......especially with the Mossie!
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jul 16, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
782 Posts
ok so today has just been a wet windy grey day......
perfect for my mossie maiden
the wind dropped to 6mph gusting 10ish
as it was an ebay job. there are a few issues with it. like 1 wheel being a tad sticky! so takeoff and landings looked like a drunk at the sticks!
She flew pretty well.. iv been so used to flying the sukhoi at every opportunity that i had to be a little less mental on the sticks!
I feel that i need more speed with this model! i did have a bit of the screech on 1 motor at top speed so looks like motor swap is in need (any1 converted to brushless?). and the stock battery wasnt up to much! il be running 500mah packs i think.
I set flaps to 85% which was ok but i think il be running them a bit less next time maybe 65%.
the landing was very sketchy! lining up with the cricket pitch was ok altho cross wind didnt help! but trying to get her to settle down was a tough job! the elevator seemed more responsive than the su26!

I hope i can tame this lovely looking fighter bomber! it looks and sounds (when not screeching) lovely on a high speed low pass!
would love to have some other um warbirds up at the same time! it would look amazing!

Any body want to suggest a good source of batterys (uk pref)

Thanks
Chris!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
ok so today has just been a wet windy grey day......
perfect for my mossie maiden
the wind dropped to 6mph gusting 10ish
as it was an ebay job. there are a few issues with it. like 1 wheel being a tad sticky! so takeoff and landings looked like a drunk at the sticks!
She flew pretty well.. iv been so used to flying the sukhoi at every opportunity that i had to be a little less mental on the sticks!
I feel that i need more speed with this model! i did have a bit of the screech on 1 motor at top speed so looks like motor swap is in need (any1 converted to brushless?). and the stock battery wasnt up to much! il be running 500mah packs i think.
I set flaps to 85% which was ok but i think il be running them a bit less next time maybe 65%.
the landing was very sketchy! lining up with the cricket pitch was ok altho cross wind didnt help! but trying to get her to settle down was a tough job! the elevator seemed more responsive than the su26!

I hope i can tame this lovely looking fighter bomber! it looks and sounds (when not screeching) lovely on a high speed low pass!
would love to have some other um warbirds up at the same time! it would look amazing!

Any body want to suggest a good source of batterys (uk pref)

Thanks
Chris!
Are you setting up flaps for landings? Haven't tried yet to set them up for that.
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 08:34 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
ok so today has just been a wet windy grey day......
perfect for my mossie maiden
the wind dropped to 6mph gusting 10ish
as it was an ebay job. there are a few issues with it. like 1 wheel being a tad sticky! so takeoff and landings looked like a drunk at the sticks!
She flew pretty well.. iv been so used to flying the sukhoi at every opportunity that i had to be a little less mental on the sticks!
I feel that i need more speed with this model! i did have a bit of the screech on 1 motor at top speed so looks like motor swap is in need (any1 converted to brushless?). and the stock battery wasnt up to much! il be running 500mah packs i think.
I set flaps to 85% which was ok but i think il be running them a bit less next time maybe 65%.
the landing was very sketchy! lining up with the cricket pitch was ok altho cross wind didnt help! but trying to get her to settle down was a tough job! the elevator seemed more responsive than the su26!

I hope i can tame this lovely looking fighter bomber! it looks and sounds (when not screeching) lovely on a high speed low pass!
would love to have some other um warbirds up at the same time! it would look amazing!

Any body want to suggest a good source of batterys (uk pref)

Thanks
Chris!
Are you using the ailerons as flaps or spoilers?

Flaps doesn't work and increases the stall speed. You want spoilers if you aren't already doing this.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product New Hobby-Lobby micro P-51 and Spirfire! - direct competitor to Parkzone Ultra Micro? Smokescreen38 Micro Ready-to-Fly 316 Aug 22, 2012 11:51 PM
Discussion Parkzone New Ultra Micro Mosquito Mk VI ChuckTseeker Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 4 Feb 03, 2011 01:22 AM
For Sale parkzone ultra micro J-3 cub BNF trade for micro trojan ED3 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 06, 2010 02:19 AM
Sold Moved to micro section -Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26m Ultra Micro BNF - w/ Lots of new parts major.monogram Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 08, 2010 12:00 AM
Found Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51D BNF (New or like new condition) CGReload Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 09, 2009 01:28 PM