SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:49 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
All in all a very positive impression. I get the impression that HH are improving their UM's as they evolve. How easy it would have been for them to bung the tail wheel on the rudder, or not add the metal reinforcement, clear canopy or use 2 bladed props. Or even supply with just 3 channels (bank and yank) or with 1 aileron servo. Am I the only one who think's we are getting better value for money as these evolve. Look at the T-28 with its steerable nose wheel for instance. I know they are all small additions but they all add up to a more satisfied customer.
I agree! All you have to do is look at the evolution of detailing & finish from the UM P51 & T-28 to the Mossie. And its especially evident in the UM Corsair with the clear canopy, detailed cylinders in the cowl, the detail in the vertical stabilizer and molding of it's complex wing. I am still amazed at the
performance and detail of these little planes for around 100 bucks! Its all good
I have to agree. I go to local Hobby shops that still have Minium Cessna 210's on the shelf for $119, but sell the Mosquito and the Extra 300 for $109.

The world has come a long way in 3 years.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:12 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Finally got a break in the weather and put one pack through the Mossie. Impressions:

Spooled up the twin props (they sound great, even from those 8.5mm cans) advanced the throttle slowly for a scale take off, I was flying at a local cricket club, flying off of a grass wicket with the prop wash throwing up dust, which looked fantastically realistic - after all the mossies flew off of grass runways(for you guys outside the commonwealth-cricket wickets are 22 yards long of very short <3mm and rolled flat, the grass is so short that it's essentially dead and dusty). Once she got into the air a few clicks of down elevator and she was flying level and true.

No obviously she is not going to do any 3D stuff, and I had low expectations of the aerobatic capabilities - after all she is a a twin warbird. I was pleasantly surprised by how she handled - some co-ordinated turns gave her a very scale flight, some nice lazy victory rolls and the motors have enough power to loop from level flight. Touch and go's were easy - its nice to have to fly a micro into land - all the other UMs its just a simple case of cutting the throttle and gliding them to the tarmac. I reduced the throttle to 3/8th setting up a nice approach path and went through a few touch and go's. I have not yet set up flaperons on her - im still not sure she needs it - I like that this plane needs you to fly it into land, it's something for me to look at tomorrow (something to look forward to)

After 10 mins the battery was starting to lag slightly - so i lined her up for a final approach, put her down, and in my attempt to get a scale landing ran out of runway, nosing her over. Unfortunately this knocked the tip of the stab, creasing it slightly.

So: She flies great, looks great, easy to land, easy to get scale flight. Unfortnattely the tip of the stab is apparently fragile. Ill fix this by embedding a small CF rod in the foam, ill get some pics when I do it (not that it will be a major mod!) Anyone know the correct colour paint for wither the silver or grey?
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Lberry.88

Yeah, the nose overs on landing easily identifies the few weak points.
As you mentioned.....a few short pieces of carbon fiber rod laced down through the foam core of the vertical stabilizer and also through the tips of the horizontal stabilizer makes it ready for some air combat!

Also once the nose guns break off, drill them out and replace with pieces of a spray pipe from a can of WD40 and paint them flat black. They will be indistructable! You can melt the tips with some heat to flare them to look like the originals.

It is a fun and unique Ultra Micro plane!
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Jun 25, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
Our main weapon is surprise...
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2006
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Lberry.88

Also once the nose guns break off, drill them out and replace with pieces of a spray pipe from a can of WD40 and paint them flat black. They will be indistructable! You can melt the tips with some heat to flare them to look like the originals.
That's a great idea! Mine finally broke off .. 2 on one landing and two on the next
I wish Eflite had a little more WD40 lying around the place when they designed the little guy! Wouldn't have been too hard to figure a little strength would be required in the guns one would have thought!
Rowdy_b64 is online now Find More Posts by Rowdy_b64
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
Quick question, sorry if I missed it, I am sure it is in this huge thread somewhere...

The left wheel on my mossie spins freely when I take it off the place, but when in place (side pressur obviously holdingit in) it must bow on the part where the wheel is (I guess) and it doesn't move freely.. So taking off from the ground the plane spins in circles and can also cause problems on landing..

Any easy fix for this?
jeisner is offline Find More Posts by jeisner
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
CV-63/VR-62
New Haven, MI
Joined Aug 2009
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeisner View Post
Quick question, sorry if I missed it, I am sure it is in this huge thread somewhere...

The left wheel on my mossie spins freely when I take it off the place, but when in place (side pressur obviously holdingit in) it must bow on the part where the wheel is (I guess) and it doesn't move freely.. So taking off from the ground the plane spins in circles and can also cause problems on landing..

Any easy fix for this?
Mine does the same thing. I took the wheels off and belly land it. Once you get used to it you can land it on a picnic blanket.
Scottmac737 is offline Find More Posts by Scottmac737
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmac737 View Post
Mine does the same thing. I took the wheels off and belly land it. Once you get used to it you can land it on a picnic blanket.
Considered that, I just wanted to get some practice landing with the wheels before I get the UMX Beast (better half getting it for my bday), as I already removed the wheels from my P51d and 26xp...
jeisner is offline Find More Posts by jeisner
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:45 PM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeisner View Post
Considered that, I just wanted to get some practice landing with the wheels before I get the UMX Beast (better half getting it for my bday), as I already removed the wheels from my P51d and 26xp...
Common problem. Simply take off the binding wheel and carefully, I used a paperclip wire) enlarge the wheel hole. Do this until the wheel spins freely.
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Lberry.88

Yeah, the nose overs on landing easily identifies the few weak points.
As you mentioned.....a few short pieces of carbon fiber rod laced down through the foam core of the vertical stabilizer and also through the tips of the horizontal stabilizer makes it ready for some air combat!

Yeah, it was annoying as i got too into trying to perfect a scale landing - with the tail wheel touching down slowly and a while after the main wheels - but ran out of strip! Anyway, i havent CFd it yet, stuck it over a boiling kettle to get the crease out. Simple!

jeisner - you could always just add a bit of lube to it.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:48 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy_b64 View Post
That's a great idea! Mine finally broke off .. 2 on one landing and two on the next
I wish Eflite had a little more WD40 lying around the place when they designed the little guy! Wouldn't have been too hard to figure a little strength would be required in the guns one would have thought!
I broke the center two guns off on my very first flights on the very first battery charge. I replaced the two with pieces of the red spray pipe from a can of WD40, painted them and they are so tough they have saved the two original outside guns from breaking off after over 100 flights. I think I used a 1/16th drill bit to drill out the broken stubs and then snugged in the WD40 spray pipe tube. At some point I also tacked them in with some CA because I had drilled all the way through the back of the holes/gun ports.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
I wonder if they have changed the guns? My guns see very strong, doesnt look like they will be breaking soon...
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
I wonder if they have changed the guns? My guns see very strong, doesnt look like they will be breaking soon...
When I think about it.....I bought the Mossie during the winter months and was flying in cold weather. Maybe the type of polymer/plastic of the guns is more brittle in the cold. I even had the battery plugs break apart on some 160mA batteries I was using with the UM P51 and UM T-28 in cold weather on some not so delicate contact with the frozen ground
Last edited by F18; Jun 27, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:13 PM
My job ate my life
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Nov 2004
65 Posts
Just got my Mossie on Saturday, and I think I got a bad brick right off the bat. I read through this entire thread to see if others are having a similar problem, and nobody. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

What's happening is mid flight, after about a minute or two of flying (I didn't time it) I lose complete control. Motors die, no control surfaces move, does not respond to input. If I'm high enough, after a few seconds, sometimes I regain control and am able to bring it in. Most of the time it results in a crash though. I've tried re-binding it, but that didn't help. I'm lucky enough to not have sustained much damage, but this issue is really annoying.

I'm using the RTF Tx that came with my T28. The T28 gives me no issues, and I've had it for almost a year with 100+ flights on it.

Anyone have any ideas? I rather not have to send it back to Horizon, even though thats what my LHS told me to do. (that's another bone of contention...if you sell a product, support it, don't tell me to send it back to the manufacturer the day after I bought it)
Free Beer is offline Find More Posts by Free Beer
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:04 AM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
333 Posts
Im sick of this planes ailerons!! the right one keepts failing!!!!!HELP! what to do?
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Just got my Mossie on Saturday, and I think I got a bad brick right off the bat. I read through this entire thread to see if others are having a similar problem, and nobody. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

What's happening is mid flight, after about a minute or two of flying (I didn't time it) I lose complete control. Motors die, no control surfaces move, does not respond to input. If I'm high enough, after a few seconds, sometimes I regain control and am able to bring it in. Most of the time it results in a crash though. I've tried re-binding it, but that didn't help. I'm lucky enough to not have sustained much damage, but this issue is really annoying.

I'm using the RTF Tx that came with my T28. The T28 gives me no issues, and I've had it for almost a year with 100+ flights on it.

Anyone have any ideas? I rather not have to send it back to Horizon, even though thats what my LHS told me to do. (that's another bone of contention...if you sell a product, support it, don't tell me to send it back to the manufacturer the day after I bought it)
I was having some issues with my plane when I first got it with some erratic
behavior that got worse as time went on. And it turned out to be a problem with the original 250mAh battery...still not sure how or why! So you may want to try another 250mAh battery before you start doing exploritory surgery.

Still to this day I can use that original battery on my UM P51 and UM T-28 with no problem. But if I use it on the Mossie.....it is possesed with eratic throttle & servo responses. The Mossie does not do it with my other 250mAh batteries. ????
Last edited by F18; Jun 28, 2011 at 03:01 PM.