SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:47 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
2,001 Posts
Interesting point... not having counter rotating can't be any worse and having extremely uneven thrust from each motor... only have to deal with the problem at takeoff rather then the whole time.

I'm on my second plane, first was swapped by my LHS as the starboard motor was rotating 50% slower than port, after about 5 or 6 flights only. They swapped it for a new one without any fuss (great shop, Hobby Hobby, Streetsville).

My new one has about 8 flights on it and it's doing exactly the same thing now, starboard side, etc...... stops immediately the power is cut the port stays spinning, etc... it is not a random problem, it is a design fault with something. This second plane hasn't had a single crash or hard landing and is mint condition... very weird. Loving the plane though... it's really completes my collection... Champ for total relaxation, Mossie for scale with moderate speed and manouverability and Trojan for zipping around fast. Love the all... just hope there is a final solution to the starboard motor problem.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
... just hope there is a final solution to the starboard motor problem.
Has anyone here disassembled the starboard motor yet? I'm wondering if the starboard motor was designed from the start to run in a CC direction. If not, then I would suspect that this is the problem.

I say this because many of the smaller brushed motors will not last long and/or, in some cases, operate properly when they're run "backwards" due to the design of the brush/arm/wiper assembly.

I apologize if this issue has already been discussed.
FMB42 is offline Find More Posts by FMB42
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:41 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,360 Posts
toppers, interesting I got mine from toys for big boys, i wonder if this is product wide or confined to a particular batch of planes

as for my idea to reverse the motor, um, you would have to also get a left side prop heh - that part slipped my mind - would of been funny watching the plane do donuts though.

Well I will call horizon today and see whats up with replacing mine
trust416 is online now Find More Posts by trust416
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:34 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,687 Posts
Latest info from Matt at Horizon on the motors.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=75

Thanks Phil!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Latest info from Matt at Horizon on the motors.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=75

Thanks Phil!

rc
Thanks, that answers my question. Kinda stupid of me not to realize that Horizon wouldn't run these starboard motors "backwards".
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:53 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,360 Posts
So basically their mirror image motors are duds?
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:01 PM
F18
United States, MA, Onset
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416 View Post
So basically their mirror image motors are duds?
Agreed
Which makes no sense......and if that is the case then it is a quality control issue with a particular production lot....and someone in China should be paying more attention!
We have been making clockwise and counter clockwise turning motors since the invention of electric motors. A counter clockwise turning motor does not defy some rule of the Universe.

I am back to the theory that the 3rd shift spilled their Tsing Tao beer on the goods! Does anyone's right motor smell like beer?
F18 is offline Find More Posts by F18
Last edited by F18; Apr 08, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:06 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,360 Posts
lol!

well i gotta say horizon took care of me again in record time, called and left my number for call back, 15 mins later i was on the horn with someone and they are shipping a new pair of motors out to me today! I will try to be optimistic but I am guessing these replacements are gonna last about the same time as the originals

+1 for horizon service
- 1 for beer soaked motors
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:12 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,986 Posts
[QUOTE=Toppers;17911006]My new one has about 8 flights on it and it's doing exactly the same thing now, starboard side, etc...... stops immediately the power is cut the port stays spinning, etc... /QUOTE]

It's interesting you mention that, regarding the right motor stopping when power's cut while the left motor continues to spin. Mine's still flying fine, etc., but I noticed this last night after replacing the left prop shaft--the right stops immediately when I cut power but the left keeps spinning. That's the only difference I've seen between the two motors, so far . . .
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:39 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,360 Posts
that's what mine did before it just seized up for the most part - now the motors will cut after 1-2 second throttle.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:47 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,687 Posts
Quote:
lol!

well i gotta say horizon took care of me again in record time, called and left my number for call back, 15 mins later i was on the horn with someone and they are shipping a new pair of motors out to me today! I will try to be optimistic but I am guessing these replacements are gonna last about the same time as the originals

+1 for horizon service
- 1 for beer soaked motors
trust,

Big +1 on HH cus service!
The call back feature is great.

Hopefully you have seen this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326158

The Nine Eagles motors are proving to be much higher quality.
Reverse rotation is still a problem.

These brushed UM planes have been on the market since July 09.
Seems like Horizon should have found a higher quality motor source by nw.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:51 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,986 Posts
Quote:
that's what mine did before it just seized up for the most part - now the motors will cut after 1-2 second throttle.
Thanks--I'll keep an eye on it and we'll see how it goes . . .
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:07 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Hindsight is perfect, but they should have used the same motor running the same way but facing the rear and driving a gear placed on the rear of the shaft.

Gearbox and prop shaft would have been a bit longer, but I think the weight diff would have been small enough to ignore or compensate for.

Is the effect from 2 props turning the same way so great it really needs a reversed prop?
Someone's got to be at the point they are going to swap in an normal motor and prop/propshaft for the right one.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
trust,

Big +1 on HH cus service!
The call back feature is great.

Hopefully you have seen this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326158

The Nine Eagles motors are proving to be much higher quality.
Reverse rotation is still a problem.

These brushed UM planes have been on the market since July 09.
Seems like Horizon should have found a higher quality motor source by nw.

rc
Thanks for the info RCB.

I happen to have a Nine Eagles "Sky Eagle" that has held up well so far (@ ~ 12 full battery cycles).

BTW, my HH Blade CP helicopter has well over 250 full battery flights on it and the only things I've had to replace so far has been 1 main motor, 3 tail motors, the battery (@~220 cycles) and one set of main blades.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:28 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,360 Posts
yeah i have seen that thread, havent had to order any NE motors as of yet though...well until now i guess.

Wouldn't the motors from the NE coax work for this application? or are you saying those suffer the same problem with the reverse rotation?

baaaah - i just want to fly... hey isn't that on the box? "just fly?"